Missed a whole option (1 Viewer)

elvishtears

HSC
I'm studying the optional topic for Forensics and during the exam today I couldn't find the topic anywhere. When the presiding officer was checking the pages I thought a page was missing and I got caught behind checking for it. I quickly made sure the pages were in order and since Forensics was the last two pages they were all sequential so I assumed it was all in tact. Going through the options I couldn't find forensics but I saw "chemistry of art" and it involved analysing spectral lines and types of spectroscopy which is related to forensics. Spent a whole hour getting dominated by the questions thinking "Wow... I didn't study enough" only to realise with one minute left that the forensic section was stuck to the back page. It wasn't glued to the back page just perfectly in line and abnormally attached to the page. I have contacted the board of studies and the school and I am required to fill out a misadventure form, do you guys think it will work?

*I told the presiding officers and they recommended me to call the BoS*

I'm pretty sure I would of gotten a band 6 if I completed the forensics section

elvishtears

HSC
Err wow lol. There was even a table of contents on the front page
From experience I knew forensics was on the last pages, and seeing key words "Spectroscopy" and emission spectrum I immediately thought it was part of forensics.

Atarer

HSC
didnt the examiner go through all the pages with you before the exam starts?

elvishtears

HSC
didnt the examiner go through all the pages with you before the exam starts?
The officer went through the paper yet she was going too fast it's couldn't keep up, I thought I missed a page so I recounted them and they were all sequential up to 36 because the last pages were stuck together

K

khorne

What...why would you assume CHEMISTRY OF ART was FORENSIC CHEMISTRY. How does this even make sense?! To be honest, it's your own responsibility to read the instructions and check the paper, so I doubt youll win the appeal. Good luck, but really m8, thats just stupid of you.

elvishtears

HSC
What...why would you assume CHEMISTRY OF ART was FORENSIC CHEMISTRY. How does this even make sense?! To be honest, it's your own responsibility to read the instructions and check the paper, so I doubt youll win the appeal. Good luck, but really m8, thats just stupid of you.
I wasn't aware that there was an option called chemistry of arts, I thought it was referring to the analysis of paint with spectroscopy which is what the majority of the questions were based on. I'm not a stupid person but I was convinced that it was the forensics topic because the forensic papers were stuck together.

umz93

HSC
I wasn't aware that there was an option called chemistry of arts, I thought it was referring to the analysis of paint with spectroscopy which is what the majority of the questions were based on. I'm not a stupid person but I was convinced that it was the forensics topic because the forensic papers were stuck together.
I fully understand what you mean. In the heat of the exam some people, such as myself, end up doing crazy things

smartalec

HSC
The BOS is actually quite lenient. they aren't always nope. too bad. For instance, one of my mates last year accidentally took his biology option answer booklet home. It was stuck to the actual exam paper and he didn't notice. The officer signed everything and let him go. They then rang him and were like 'we are missing your option part' and he was like wtf. Then he realised he had his option with him. So he raced to the school, explained everything and they took it into consideration. He had to sign stuff and the principal wrote a letter saying he was a honest student who didn't intend to do it bla bla bla. and they accepted it. even though he was home for a good hour. To make matters worse, he even used two different pens in the exam!

point of story is don't lose hope, there is quite a possibly that they may take this situation into consideration. best of luck and try not to stress. :)

elvishtears

HSC
The BOS is actually quite lenient. they aren't always nope. too bad. For instance, one of my mates last year accidentally took his biology option answer booklet home. It was stuck to the actual exam paper and he didn't notice. The officer signed everything and let him go. They then rang him and were like 'we are missing your option part' and he was like wtf. Then he realised he had his option with him. So he raced to the school, explained everything and they took it into consideration. He had to sign stuff and the principal wrote a letter saying he was a honest student who didn't intend to do it bla bla bla. and they accepted it. even though he was home for a good hour. To make matters worse, he even used two different pens in the exam!

point of story is don't lose hope, there is quite a possibly that they may take this situation into consideration. best of luck and try not to stress. :)
thanks heaps! that has made me feel so much better, I just hope the HSC marker understands my error and has sympathy ;)

Atarer

HSC
thats harsh mate

K

khorne

thats harsh mate
No, it's reality. That's what you get for not taking it seriously and reading it. THE CONTENTS is on the FRONT. You're all adults now, act like ones and take responsibility for your mistakes.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Nah, you're an idiot - I have to say. Seriously.

They go through the exam at the beginning to make sure nothing like that happens. You didn't chase it up and make a fuss, so it's your fault.

elvishtears

HSC
Nah, you're an idiot - I have to say. Seriously.

They go through the exam at the beginning to make sure nothing like that happens. You didn't chase it up and make a fuss, so it's your fault.
I guess you're right :evilfire: I just didn't want to embarrass myself holding the whole year up from their reading time

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And now you lost 25% of your HSC mark. Was it worth it? Really? Really?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)