Missing 5/8 lectures per week, could this affect me greatly? (1 Viewer)

assi23q

HSC
Hey, I recently made a thread on this board regarding my really busy course, and after 3 weeks I've noticed how hectic my timetable is and now I'm seeking insight (and/well any personal experience from anyone, that has had a really annoying timetable).

So I'm in Macquarie University and doing IT for my bachelor (first year 2nd sem). Due to work on Thursday's and Friday's, I cannot attend Uni at all on work days and that leaves me missing out on 5 of my lectures. Luckily all my tutorials are on the first 3 days of the week, however I cannot change times of my lectures on Thursday and Friday to suit me better. As those are the only times that the lecture isn't overlapping my other tutorials, or as for 3 of them... cannot change time for them at all.

Now, although these lectures are recorded and put online, I'm just fooling myself saying I'm going to watch them all, I only watch 3 of those 5, and most of the time I don't exactly finish them to the end. I get too distracted and just go do the tutorial questions generally while watching lectures. I was given advice from another first year saying to just read the notes if you don't rock up to the lectures.

Can anyone tell me if this would affect me greatly, and/or what's the best way to stay up to date?
Thanks

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
unless you know your shit, you're gonna fall behind m8

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Lectures aren't that important tbh, as long as you do a good summary of the lecture you'll be fine, just skip to the main parts, parts which you need understanding in and you'll do good. Tutorials and their homework teach the application which is how marks are gotten in tests, skipping tutorials would be a problem, lectures - not so much as long as you gist through each lecture. (especially first year)

assi23q

HSC
Thanks for the advice, that's what I have started to do now. Now instead of forcing myself to watch the lecture, I just read the notes and skip to the main parts and make a add it to my notebook. So far it's pretty effective, because if I did go to the lectures, I probably wouldn't have done this.

And luckily all my tutorials are on first 3 days of the week when I'm available. I'm now curious to how this semester is going to pan out for me :p.

kast

HSC
Uni Grad
That is a lot of lectures to miss, but if you're keeping up with the tutorials and assignments, and it doesn't seem like you're falling behind, then it might be okay. When I don't want to watch the whole recorded lecture, I just read through the slides and take notes on the important bits. At least read through them, because there might be unexpected bits of info you'll miss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)