MJ question (1 Viewer)

ShaunSmith

HSC
silly question what sort of stuff did you write, most of mine was to do with projectiles how if he jumped vertically his initial velocity would of been 12.5ms^-1 and such, also that laws of physics would make it so he couldnt stay up there gravity etc.

but how stupid was it!!

Spiked_Phate

overloaded student
HSC
ummm....i got his initial velocity as being like 24 ms^-1, and said that he could not achieve this....now that i think about it, yours sounds better....oh well...i dont think itl be couldnting for my uai neways

CrashOveride

HSC
how can u give it a precise calculation, you only know the time. you can give a suitable range tho

i talked about just anything that i thought of, gravity holding him down, inertia, some projectile motion, newtons laws bah

bevstarrunner

Maths Nut
HSC
I got that he could jump about 7 metres up, at like 12.25m/s...i dont remember exactly tho...

Bej

hahaha, i thought the question was stupid so for the first half of my answer i wrote absolute crap.

e.g. brawl x k.brains = best athelete where k > 1 therefore more 'brains' than 'brawn' if 'best athelete' is positive

and time and effort (F) is
time x force = impluse therefore he has an impulse go get better.

but the second half i actualyl did the calculations and talked about how he could reach max range and max height.
i beilieve the question wanted you to disproved that he could stay in the air for 2.5 secs as that means he would have reached a max height on about 7 metres, and thats just stupid, too bad i didnt actually write that.

l bej l + l funny l = rep

Last edited:

Kelvy

HSC
I think you were meant to assess the validity of the statement, so ye i got U = 12.25 and max height = 7.6525. i.e. the dude is EXAGERRATING about time of flight in the quote :)

cephren

...seems agreed that MJ was an unexpected sort of question... I had no idea... so i changed it 2 a Javelin thrower so P.Motion was easier 2 visualise... then I used range eqns coz thats all I kno!... lol... I should have payed attn... I should have studied aswell...

...oh - & 2 those who do Q2Q as an option... what was the LAWS OF PHYSICS that Chadwick abided by 4 the Neutron thingy???... I said "Matter Can Neither Be Created Nor Destroyed" coz it was all that I could think of... dont even kno if that is relevant... oh and I also said as a 2nd LAW that "If At First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again"...

...Im guessing that was an easy test?... coz I think I may have passed...+/-10%...

kris12345

u can give a presice calculation if u assume the shot was a standing jump shot performed from a stationary start there for u=0 and u know acceleration as 9.8 and time so u can calculate using the delta Y formula
i got 12.... something as the verticle veloicty and a max hieght of 7.35 metres or something which is impossible for a human to jump that high especially when a hoop is only 10 foot of the ground

Charon.

HSC
N/A
i see..........
i said that assuming he wanted to jump a metre, which is pretty hard then heed have to have an intialk velocity of about 25km/h. Im pretty sure pro athletes cant even achieve that.

superbird

HSC
Muzzy said:
For this question u really just needed rouch calculations
i think so too. was it really necessary to work out the height and all?

sub

uh there is a thread on this already...but i agree it was a retarded question :(

were we ment to say that basketballers have no concept of the "laws of physics that keeps them there"? i reckon the test writers weren't mj fans...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)