• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mobile, what to buy (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
It seems to me mobile phones are in a state of limbo, forgetting the really basic ones, they are all coloured, most have cameras and all the basics.

So what should I look for in a new phone? What are some good models, or new models? What are some cheaper but good models? I really like the Motorola V3, I want something skinny that looks good but I also want an upgrade from my last phone.

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
What was your last phone?

what features are most important to you? looks? organiser? big screen? flip-phone? radio/mp3?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
well that's what I don't know.

Where are phones heading in terms of technology? It seems a bit messy, whereas before all the new ones had colour screens and cameras, now some are upgrading cameras, some are including video cameras, some mp3s. I don't want something that will be out of date straight away.

I would like a radio, but I don't have to have one. Would people suggest an mp3 is good? I think it might be a waste since they are not as good as ipods. But I cbb to carry an ipod all the time, so maybe it will be good to have an mp3 on my phone. It doesn't need to have much of an organiser but a small one would be good. (like my last phone - 3200). Big screen isn't a problem but it could be nice. I like having the little things like games, a camera. I like flips because I have never had one before but I don't have to get one.

I want a good phone book but that might be standard on all colour phones? (I want to be able to store more than one phone number, plus notes under each person's name)
Looks is important, i like a nice looking phone, also something small

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
oh yeah, another thing. What's your budget? are you getting the phone on a plan?

if you didn't mind the 3200, a 6230i is kinda the same thing, but with everything improved. No outrageous design though.

RAZARV3 isn't the latest in technology, it is just designed well. some new motorolas comming out like the PEBL which is pretty nice (it has spring loaded flip so you can flip with one hand).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Thanks for the help
I will not get the phone on a plan
I want to buy outright

Are there any phone brands with a longer life than nokias? I have been very disappointed.

Are there any other skinny flips coming out? I looked at the PEBL and it looks nice but it looks wide.

Budget, I am not sure yet. I am not planning to buy for a little bit longer. I want to look at phones from both ends of the price ranges 200-700

In terms of technology I didn't think v3 was crash hot (which is why I am wondering what is better technology) but it's one of the first slim nice looking flips.

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
sumsung has a new skinny flip copy of RAZR

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=1363&source=BROWSER

only in korea though.

But the phones you should be looking at are:
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/samsung-d500-en.shtml
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-6230i-en.shtml
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-k750-en.shtml

the k750 screen is beautiful, you must see it

They are all pretty small and light, not many light small and featureful flip phones.

or maybe this
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-w800-en.shtml

same as k750, but has jack for headphones. It's sony's walkman phone.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
thank you for that!
the k750 has a great screen
v740 looks amazing, only in korea??
it's too bad there aren't any other skinny flips coming out soon, i will wait and see

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i would recommend you wait until october. at this time, vodafone, and quite possibly optus, will release handsets on the 3G network. this means that "3" will finally have some competition and prices etc will probably drop and you will be able to get a better deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReaveR

HSC
I don't think iab is looking for a deal on plans/call costs. So...waiting for some brick-like 3 phones to come out wouldn't help...and 3 phones can only be used on 3 network right? Not like there's a SIM card or anything, I think it's almost like CDMA, but I don't know anything about it.

I've got the RAZR, and I'm loving it. Some things to note:

The keypad, or actually, the spaces in between the keys (plastic rubbery filler sort of thing) gets quite dirty in terms of dust etc, and then it also leaves marks on the screen.

Technology wise it gets crapped on. Five megs of space, enough for most things but there is no option to expand it with some sort of memory card (ie. SD or similar). Camera is ok. Gotta hold it real still for a good shot. Has to have good lighting too. I've attached some photos I took a while ago..some are clear, some aren't. Screen is nice though. The secondary screen on the outside is useful too.

One flaw in design I absolutely hate; anything you connect to it is through a miniUSB port. Fair enough, but when you want to charge and use the headset at the same time, bad luck.

The aluminium casing is actually pretty strong too...I fell over once on marble floor with it in my hand, I landed smack bang on it and it's not even loose. This happened like two days after I got it lol

Last edited:

ReaveR

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
that's your car? :eek:
I wish :(:(
Was at a petrol station and it was parked there. Probably should've blanked out the numberplate or something eh

ReaveR

HSC
Yeah actually I don't think I could handle driving a whale of a car like that. So long and...big.

Back on topic, if you want a good looking phone only go look at the Nokia 8800. $1700 :eek:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol $1700 is out of the question
the photos look pretty good for a phone (compared to my phone). thanks for all the information

i have been reading reviews on the razr - what is the caller volume like? when people say it is low, how low is it? what is the phonebook like? i have read you can store more than one number under one name, can you also put notes under the name? i have read that you can't scroll to the exact place you want, e.g. you can type 's' but not 'su'

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
iambored said:
lol $1700 is out of the question
the photos look pretty good for a phone (compared to my phone). thanks for all the information

i have been reading reviews on the razr - what is the caller volume like? when people say it is low, how low is it? what is the phonebook like? i have read you can store more than one number under one name, can you also put notes under the name? i have read that you can't scroll to the exact place you want, e.g. you can type 's' but not 'su'
the razr has basicly the same interface as a V600 etc. I got one of them.

You can store more than one number under a name, but it is stupid cause then it makes it a pain to call the non-primary number.

and you can't go straight to a name like in nokias, you can only search the first letter.

you can't put notes under a name in v600.

ReaveR

HSC
iambored said:
I have no problems with the caller volume. It doesn't seem low at all. I think my setting is on the lowest volume actually, and its fine. I don't remember, I'll check when I call someone later :p

One thing I did notice about the calls is that they sound like someone has put treble all the way down to zero. Voices will sound almost...low. It's not like they're not clear or muffled, but everything sounds so deep lol

jm's right about the phonebook. I can't find a way to put notes either. Can add extra phone numbers and emails.

Only being able to search the first letter sucks. I miss my old Nokia for this feature.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
yeah basically motorolas suck, especially the interface.
nokias are pretty good, also samsung - samsung have excellent build quality.

fantasia

HSC
i've seen alot of korean samsung mobiles, but they never seem to release outside of korea. their phones are uberly cool though.

i'd recommend motorola e398 for budget phone. its got everything and its about $260 now.
- bluetooth
- video support
- camera
- mp3 player
-bluetooth
-rhythm lights
-speakerphone
- 64MB transflash card(store mp3s, video etc)

ReaveR

HSC
Well I was at the beach today, it being sunny and all...took out my phone and hell the screen sucks so bad in direct sunlight lol

jambocool

HSC
Heyya, well im a real fan of technology and new mobiles, with cameras, video, MP3 etc
Currently i have the Nokia 6230 and i have never been so happy with a phone, so if you want go the new Nokia 6230i, better camera, and overall just a more updated version of mine.. but if you dont like the Nokias
The Sony Erricson K750i is a very nice phone as well, a friend has one and its amazing! The screen is so clear and the camera is amazing with 2MP camera etc
Amazing phone. would consider getting one but im too loyal to the Nokia Brand..

Also just to note atm i have a new NEC N401i from a friend in my hand its not a bad phone at all. Camera and Video nice and clear, MP3 compatible ect. Nice, but its still a flippy phone lol.. ( in my opinion they are chicks phones lol) also this phone will be for sale if you are interested lol still in box and plastic, Virtually un-used.

Well thats my Two-Bobs lol, any more info required i would be more than happy to help..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)