Modelling an equilibrium (1 Viewer)

jetfan

Half Back Flanker
HSC
well we performed a fairly good one. What you need is a 10mL and 2 mL pipette(i think thats the one, its the one with a tap you use in titration.)

What you then do is get two measuring cylinders, fill one to 100mL, leave the other one empty. Then you turn the 10mL upside down, put it in the full cylinder place your thumb over the open tap and transfer this water to the other test tube. Then use the 2 mL one to transfer some of this water back to cylinder A. What will hapeen is that the water level in cylinder A will slowly lower, decreasing the amount of water being transferred to cylinder B, but at the same time the level in cylinder B will gradually rise, causeing slightly more water being transferred BACK. This will lead to fwd reaction = rev. reaction, meaning equilibrium. This works fairly well, but it is only a model.

The second part to the experiment involves pouring about 10mL water into cylinder A, then continuing with the above process, modelling an equilibrium that has to shift. Hope this all helps, good luck in your exams

--jetfan--

richz

err... its a model, get the cssa 2004 paper and have a look at the answer, go to the bos mirror for it

richz

o ok sorry i didnt even read it i just saw u using chem equipment lol, so i thut u were actually doing the equilibrium exp

jetfan

Half Back Flanker
HSC
well this model only sccounts for a simple reaction, no molr ratios are considered, so we can't show how an equilibrium is affected by a change in pressure, an change in temperature won't affect it either.

~GrOoVy~

*cough* hahahhaa *cough*
HSC
I checked out the CSSA one...its kinda confusing.

What if they do ask us to model out an equilibrium reaction that is being affected by pressure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)