Modern History Or Business Studies? (1 Viewer)

jazzbaby

HSC
im thinkin of changin from business to mod history
coz ppl say bus studies brings ur mark down
besides i have eco and legal as well
so that would be alotta essays

anyway
is it a good decision??

x

jazzbaby

HSC
it has more essays than business? holy crap lol

thnx 4 da help

blakegman

HSC
N/A
exactly, modern has so much more in the way of essays that youd be stupid to switch if you hate essays.

to be honest business has very easy essays as they are business reports where u can use headings and dot points etc if necessary. i found them to be both easy and not at all tedious like english essays.

and besides, business studies is easy as shit

jazzbaby

HSC
lol
ahaha
and i thought i would be wise to switch to modern coz i thought it had less essays

what about ancient
is it like that too?

jazzbaby

HSC
but like
i didnt even do commerce in yr 9 or 10
so do u learn everythin from scratch?
or are u supposed to already know how to write business reports etc

HSC
i did modern, business and ancient. and since i am an essay based person, i found business the most challenging. in regards to scaling, well, in the end, i received the same mark for both modern and business, and when i entered my marks into SAM, half of MODERN wasnt counted (i did 11 units), however for my actual UAI, half of business wasnt counted, if that can act as a guide to you in any way possible.

maries

HSC
U go over all the basics in yr 11, if u didn't do commerce is doesn't matter. I'm coming 10th out of 75 for business and i didn't do commerce. Plus, all business textbooks cover everything well so u can just look up things ur not sure about or if u still don't get it, ask ur teacher.

bluto blaart

HSC
My God - whatever happened to learning something of interest. There is no short cut to understanding. Less work? Why are you still at school?

I have been looking at some of the poorest countries in the world - the kids there would just like to be at school! Get on with it.:mad1:

jazzbaby

HSC
oh ok sweet as ...thanks for the help every1...im gonna give business a go..if i dont like it then off to history i go.lol and as for the person above me...what are u on about seriously?

ccc123

HSC
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN

Although if you don't essays maybe buisness is better. But Modern's so much cooler...

MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN
MODERN

But its up to you I guess. :eek:

mzduxx2006

HSC
jazzbaby said:
im thinkin of changin from business to mod history
coz ppl say bus studies brings ur mark down
besides i have eco and legal as well
so that would be alotta essays

anyway
is it a good decision??

x
well modern history required you to write alot of essays aswell. probly around 3 full essays for each of ur topics and 2 mini essays for the start of section 1 in addition to the short answer questions. so thats alot of writing. stick to ur strongest points.

If u are really really good at english go for modern history.

if u are average at english and really good at maths go for business studies because i remember my friends that did business studies had to do a section of financial maths which required alot of maths.

i done modern history. i really enjoyed it. it scales much better than business studies aniways.

in addition i got 90 for modern history. so feel free to personally message me if u need any help. i done world war 1 as my core topic. germany as another. leni riefenstahl as my personality study and conflic in the pacific.

williamc

HSC
I did both subjects.

mzduxx2006 said:
If u are really really good at english go for modern history.
Agree to an extent, because your ability to write coherent and structured essays is important. Although, if you don't like learning about historical events of the 20th century i would advise away from this subject.

mzduxx2006 said:
if u are average at english and really good at maths go for business studies because i remember my friends that did business studies had to do a section of financial maths which required alot of maths.
The maths in business studies is almost laughable. The calulations you make are very, very simple. It is only 1 out of the 5 topics that require you to use these basic formulas.

mzduxx2006 said:
i done modern history. i really enjoyed it. it scales much better than business studies aniways.
Scaling should NOT be taken into consideration.

If you must, http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2007_table_A3.pdf . According to this the difference in the average scaled mark is 7.4

You final decision should be based on what you want to do the most, all other factors equal. Don't worry about scaling or whatever. Do you want to learn about how one must manage a business, or would you rather learn about events of the 20th century?

1harkina

HSC
i loved business studies
its so stright forward and there is no grey areas
i did modern to and it was so hard to many essays and stuff to remember

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I did Business Studies in Year 10 - didn't like it. I'd do Modern History, only because of that.

NoWorries...

HSC
hell no! do not do modern!!
business is so much more enjoyable and easier!!
i do both, and i wish i could drop modern. i thought it would be interesting but its just a whole lot of essays and dates you have to remember. make it easier on yourself for this stupid thing we call the hsc and DO BUSINESS!!

ccc123

HSC
NoWorries... said:
hell no! do not do modern!!
business is so much more enjoyable and easier!!
i do both, and i wish i could drop modern. i thought it would be interesting but its just a whole lot of essays and dates you have to remember. make it easier on yourself for this stupid thing we call the hsc and DO BUSINESS!!
It's a matter of personal preference I guess. i think for Modern, you need tp have an interest in teh subject. or the high-content will be tedious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)