Modern History Studying Tips (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Re: Studying for Modern History??

for the social derminants of health , something like that, in y11 it was
we had something like
stefan sucks cock in his cupboard.

and they work really well, i use them when i can.

iheartzoltan

HSC

Dates arent super important. Make sure you have a wide understanding of both sides of an event eg 2 opinions and always know what historians say. Historians will save your life. Extra reading is a must, even if you just skim the books.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

iheartzoltan said:
Dates arent super important. Make sure you have a wide understanding of both sides of an event eg 2 opinions and always know what historians say. Historians will save your life. Extra reading is a must, even if you just skim the books.
Historians are useful but not when all you do is quote the historians without having any relevance to the question asked (and heaps of kids do that each year at the HSC).

Know the main interpretations about the issues/events etc e.g. arguments for why the allies won wwi as well as ones for why the germans lost (not necessarily the same thing) and also know the perspective of your arguments e.g. do the German and British historians agree on why the germans lost or do they have different views?

Don't get too hung up on dates but know your basic chronology. If in doubt about a date, leave it out and put the events in chronological order e.g. hitler became chancellor, sometime after that all political parties were forbidden except for the Nazis, then the Night of the Long Knives occured, Hitler became fuhrer after Hindenburg died and then the army swore allegiance to him. No dates but correct chronology (even if the punctuation is appalling but I am getting lazy tonight). Once you put in a date that is incorrect your work immediately loses some of its credibility and makes it harder to get full marks (but not impossible if it is only one or two dates).

READ READ READ as much as you can about the various topics not just your textbook and study guides but extra articles and books if possible. Visit uni libraries and check out the latest historical journals on your topics, read them there and take notes on them. If that isn't possible then get a buddy or two on here who can and will for you!!

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Yeah, read and get to a variety of sources to reinforce what you learnt. Refine your essay structure, and practise! Know your content, and you can add historiography to add to your arguments. Know how to evaluate your sources for WWI, and getting feedback from your teacher on a range of matters such as how you're going, your essays, etc etc.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC

Lol thread derailment. I always have trouble remembering dates in Modern but seem to always remember Historians' arguments, which I guess makes my essays stand out because nobody in my grade seems to quote historians in exams. The methods people have posted to remember things are pretty cool, I usually just associate a date with something, like a person passing a certain law, and by your knowledge of content everything else slides in. However, some things you need to be very accurate in (like the July days) so I guess you'll just need to memorise :<

Last edited:

Snarkie

HSC

Look at your syllabus. Get to know it really really well. Make it your best friend. Especially look at the key features and issues. And practice writing essays. It's one thing to know a lot of information but another to actually put it together into an essay. :)

maries

HSC
Re: How do you study for modern?

I am in the same boat as u, my notes r fucking long.

Man United

HSC

Yeah you have to write points on each syllabus points to be sure. Writing practice essays is good, but I would consider just writing plans (ie dot points on intro, body and conclusion) for essays prior to exams. That means you cover more essays and you are retaining the vital information only. But yeah do all the hard work now and get your notes quite detailed, makes it alot easier later on.

joey...

HSC

yeah, definitely stick to the syllabus... make mind maps and summaries for all the dot points and find supporting evidence from historians, articles etc..this will really boost your marks. Then practice essay writing (try to cover as many of the dot points as you can with different questions because this is where the BOS will take them from!) Really all it gets down to in the end is remembering key concepts... Good luck :)

hitachi88

HSC
When you are studying for history, don't think it's all about remembering the numbers. In fact, the numbers and date should have very little role to play in your response. The markers are looking for your ANALYSIS and INTERPRETATION, rather then looking if you can recite a bunch of given "facts".

Focus on UNDERSTANDING THE ISSUE, and the rest will come naturally.

For my trial/HSC, the only times I ever used dates was when I would be quoting a historian, or using it to make an argument more clearer.

RubyJBrown

HSC

i don't think that 150 pages is needed. I have been able to summarise WWI into about 8 typed pages and using that information i write generic essays for study. I also find it best to write the notes straight after you finish the topic and not before an exam so that all the info is fresh. The excel revise in a month MH book is also really helpful too.

yinghua18

HSC

yea how do u remeber stuff for modern? i study both ancient and modern and ancient is by far easiest to remember....
modern is just so techical and detailed.....
anyone got any tips on how to remember and study for modern?

wendus

krawr.
HSC

practice essays are a good technique.
other than that just keep re reading your notes and doing practice questions
my notes are so so so long and copious.

dodgyv

CEO
HSC

i get several notes on the syllabus frompoeple opn boredd of studies, i get my skool notes and i make it my own notes ^^. intergrate them all 2 gether and then make it into a more essay structured answer 2 each of the sylaabus questions.\

YOU CANT USE 1 SOURCE IN HISTORY AND STUDY FROM 1 TEXT BOOK OR WHATEVER UILL BE FCKED. you choose which describes it the best u noe....

its a lot of work mind u...History the hardest subject ever...like its so boring making notes on it thats all.

if u cant do that. ill suggest just practicing essay questions...specific ones...i got no clue how 2 study 4 history really....thats why its hard....do all these notes manage like 75s...so gay...2unit maths do shiat and manage 98^^

supanora

HSC

hey :D
for the trials did u write full essays or jst mind maps?

nrs1990

HSC

For modern, you don't need to memorise everything. They're not going to test you on how well you can recite tiny details about the coursework. What you need to remember are the bits and pieces you'd want to use in an essay.

I have detailed notes, but in the end I resummarised everything even more concisely, based around past essay questions. For WWI, National Study and International Study, you can make a good guess of the sorts of questions they'll ask. If you work out what information you'll need to answer these questions (preferably by writing practice essays), that's probably what you'll need to know. Anyway, for me it helped figure out what I needed to memorise and what wasn't important; and it also meant that when I came to the trial, I had a fairly good idea of how I was going to answer the question, since I'd already thought about it.

Anyway, for me it worked better than just trying to cram random dates into my head. Plus, when it comes down to it, I don't think Modern's really a knowledge-based subject. Sure, you need to have a fairly good grasp of the content, but the examine isn't about how much you know, but how well you can use that knowledge. As well as knowing enough detail to write the essay, make sure you have opinions on the key issues -- for example, (for the Germany topic) why do you think the Nazis came to power? (or, for the Cold War) why do you think detente failed? Because it's the opinions that you'll base the thesis of your essays on, and it's the opinions that'll define your response.

gaaay

HSC
Lol, when you guys are studying for the international studies. Example: conflict of indochina..

do u guys study all the contents of the topic? because there is an option of two essays?

haha whose going to gamble it...
coz im planning to only study 2 out of the 4 syllabus dot points in Indochina

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
gaaay said:
Lol, when you guys are studying for the international studies. Example: conflict of indochina..

do u guys study all the contents of the topic? because there is an option of two essays?

haha whose going to gamble it...
coz im planning to only study 2 out of the 4 syllabus dot points in Indochina
cover everything in depth dude
but focus more on the two you feel most comfortable with

LOLA!!!!

HSC
N/A
how to study for modern history?

Any tips? Should i learn the terms such as describe,evaluate,account for,explain?

K

khorne

Re: how to study for modern history?

Yes, you should learn/know all the BOS Verbs...they're on the Board of Studies site if you need them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)