Modern History vs. Biology (1 Viewer)

Audranda

HSC
I have 14 units and am willing to drop a subject, tossing between modern history and biology (after attending some classes).

Looking for an 'objective' opinion, which would you drop and why? What are some of the incentives you see from each subject (type of content, scaling, etc.)

studded

HSC
I've only just started the Biology course so I don't have much of a personal opinion, but judging from what I've read about the two subjects, with Biology you don't have to constantly be up to date with recent trends and statistics and figures etc. So while both are content-loaded, Biology may be easier.

I could be totally wrong of course. At the end of the day make sure to do whatever you enjoy and think you will succeed in doing.

Darth_UNSW

HSC
I did both last year. Both are very content heavy (lots to learn). However, biology is undoubtedly "easier" as there is no critical thinking. It's just memorizing facts. I think a major consideration is whether or not you're good at essays because modern history is almost purely essays whereas biology has none. If you're good at writing definitely take modern. It's an interesting subject. I found biology very dull and only did last minute study, getting 89, whereas for modern I did more study and got 92. If you're still undecided, keep them and wait for your first assessments. If you flunk one you could drop it so you don't have a bad ranking.

Darth_UNSW

HSC
I've only just started the Biology course so I don't have much of a personal opinion, but judging from what I've read about the two subjects, with Biology you don't have to constantly be up to date with recent trends and statistics and figures etc. So while both are content-loaded, Biology may be easier.

I could be totally wrong of course. At the end of the day make sure to do whatever you enjoy and think you will succeed in doing.
There are virtually no "recent trends and statistics" you need to know. However for modern history you need to know a looooooooot of quotes, the majority of which you won't end up using in your final exam.

evasharman

HSC
It depends on where your interests lie. What are your other subjects, for example ? For me personally, I'm going to change from Biology because of the horrible teacher/class/not interesting for me personally but Modern History is really really interesting, I love it so much! But that's just me, it totally depends on you ;)

studded

HSC
There are virtually no "recent trends and statistics" you need to know. However for modern history you need to know a looooooooot of quotes, the majority of which you won't end up using in your final exam.
Well then I guess I was totally wrong. :shy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)