Modern History. (1 Viewer)

Glorious

HSC
For the personality chosen, how long should their biography be? I'm typing it up, but its come to a page and a half, although this is my second piece as I had to fix things. It seems to be longer than my original one, and that was the one I wrote in the trial. Took longer than is expected.

enoilgam

HSC
For section III, it is recommended that you write 1000 words (approximately 8 pages). So going off the marks allocated to each part of this section, you should spend 400 words on A and 600 on B. However, as section B often requires a lot more detail then A, you could do 300 on A and 700 on B. However, my modern teacher told me that 300 words is the minimum amount you should be spending on A.

Glorious

HSC
Thanks for your help. I currently have around 650 words just for A. :/ No wonder I start to stress about time once I hit B. lol.

enoilgam

HSC
Thanks for your help. I currently have around 650 words just for A. :/ No wonder I start to stress about time once I hit B. lol.
With A, get to the point quickly. B is where you need to give more detail.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Make sure you know the syllabus inside and out, you don't want to be writing about your personality's background when the question asks for his/her rise to prominence.

Glorious

HSC
Make sure you know the syllabus inside and out, you don't want to be writing about your personality's background when the question asks for his/her rise to prominence.
But wouldnt writing his/her life out and events until the very end cover their rise to prominence anyway?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
But wouldnt writing his/her life out and events until the very end cover their rise to prominence anyway?
Yes but you're wasting your time and you don't get any extra marks for it.

enoilgam

HSC
This, dont fall into the memorisation trap.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes - but you would also be wasting a lot of time and words on irrelevant stuff.

The syllabus has a bolded heading 'rise to prominence' so know the dot points under that heading and if the question is on rise to prominence and you discuss those exact dot points you will be fine e.g. with Leni rise to prominence ends before her Nazi films and therefore there would be no necessity to discuss the Nazi films although most students would do so - partly because they don't have enough detail on things like the Jews in the film industry.

Another point - make sure if something is relevant to both sections that you say it in both sections. The marks are awarded by section not by total so if you put it in Section A and leave it out of Section B then you will only get credit for it in Section A.

Don't go overboard with historiography - I have seen some responses that are just a series of quotes from different historians and not really addressing the question and/or the quote - make sure that you do refer to both the question and the quote regularly to keep yourself on track to actually do what the question is asking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)