Modern or business? advanced or standard math? helpp!!! (1 Viewer)

nubee1233

HSC
hey guys im struggling on deciding as to whether i should drop modern or business, i got similar marks in both for the prelim (both terrible) and teachers likewise. However for business the teachers are slightly worse at teaching and known to purposely deduct marks?

i was also wondering as to whether i should drop from advanced to standard as the highest i can get is 70-85, which is good, but they've removed the scaling so its not worth it. Thank you!!

Vitrecan

HSC
It depends, modern has more essay writing but business only has a report and an essay. Like you said, advance is better scaling which is sorta irrelevant if you can ace standard, but a lot of uni courses prefer you to do advance maths as assumed knowledge.

nubee1233

HSC
It depends, modern has more essay writing but business only has a report and an essay. Like you said, advance is better scaling which is sorta irrelevant if you can ace standard, but a lot of uni courses prefer you to do advance maths as assumed knowledge.
i feel like i dont understand the structure of business essays and how to write them however its more assignments in business before the hsc so im super confused. Is advanced still scaled?? our teacher said it doesnt anymore

Vitrecan

HSC
i feel like i dont understand the structure of business essays and how to write them however its more assignments in business before the hsc so im super confused. Is advanced still scaled?? our teacher said it doesnt anymore
I like to think of a business essay like a normal english essay. I PEEL/TEEL (with the example being case studies of course). But yeah, I think most of my tasks were assignments cause of the corona thing. Advance still scales to my knowledge, but scaling doesnt matter if you can ace the subject.

idkkdi

HSC
hey guys im struggling on deciding as to whether i should drop modern or business, i got similar marks in both for the prelim (both terrible) and teachers likewise. However for business the teachers are slightly worse at teaching and known to purposely deduct marks?

i was also wondering as to whether i should drop from advanced to standard as the highest i can get is 70-85, which is good, but they've removed the scaling so its not worth it. Thank you!!
lmao, who the fk is saying that scaling was removed???? Scaling is never going to be removed, because it keeps things fair. For those who complain about scaling, try understanding the system. It makes things about as fair as it can get.

nubee1233

HSC
lmao, who the fk is saying that scaling was removed???? Scaling is never going to be removed, because it keeps things fair. For those who complain about scaling, try understanding the system. It makes things about as fair as it can get.
thats what i thought but our teacher confused us by saying nesa has removed any scaling

nubee1233

HSC
I like to think of a business essay like a normal english essay. I PEEL/TEEL (with the example being case studies of course). But yeah, I think most of my tasks were assignments cause of the corona thing. Advance still scales to my knowledge, but scaling doesnt matter if you can ace the subject.
i usually get marked done for my introduction as they always comment explain/how/why however we dont do that in an intro for for our points in english

vishnay

God
HSC
He wasn't complaining about scaling he was just under the assumption scaling was removed for Maths Standard and Advanced (as in they scale the same).

Last edited:

nubee1233

HSC
He wasn't complaining about scaling he was just under the assumption scaling was removed for English Standard and Advanced (as in they scale the same).
lmao yh for maths thats what i was told which is why i was confused probably misread

nubee1233

HSC
He wasn't complaining about scaling he was just under the assumption scaling was removed for English Standard and Advanced (as in they scale the same).
also i see your not doing business next year why so?

vishnay

God
HSC
thats what i thought but our teacher confused us by saying nesa has removed any scaling
Usually teachers have a bad idea of how scaling works so I would recommend doing a little bit of research before accepting your teachers' advice.

Vitrecan

HSC
i usually get marked done for my introduction as they always comment explain/how/why however we dont do that in an intro for for our points in english
I meant using PEEL/TEEL structure for a business essay body paragraph but adapting it for business studies.

vishnay

God
HSC
also i see your not doing business next year why so?
I'm not doing business as the business studies teachers are quite dodgy and they don't mark assessments to a consistently high standard. I got 90+ in all of my subjects except for English Advanced and Business Studies. English is compulsory and Business scales horribly so it made sense that I should drop Business.

idkkdi

HSC
no. scaling is never going to be removed. it keeps things fair. :)

take advanced maths, it's really not that hard and standard scales very bad.

nubee1233

HSC
no. scaling is never going to be removed. it keeps things fair. :)

take advanced maths, it's really not that hard and standard scales very bad.
im really confused because i dont think i can get a band six in it for the first task i got 90 and the second was 70, 79, however i really pushed myself as i came from a 5.2 background ahhhhhhh

nubee1233

HSC
I'm not doing business as the business studies teachers are quite dodgy and they don't mark assessments to a consistently high standard. I got 90+ in all of my subjects except for English Advanced and Business Studies. English is compulsory and Business scales horribly so it made sense that I should drop Business.
sameee social science has the worst faculty but my modenr teachers are also not the best brb gonna cry

nubee1233

HSC
lmao do you recommend i drop to standard or not: if i do ill have the best maths teacher in my school which is the biggest factor im taking in

shashysha

HSC
business is cool - nice bludge subject and not that hard to do well in

vishnay

God
HSC
lmao do you recommend i drop to standard or not: if i do ill have the best maths teacher in my school which is the biggest factor im taking in
I personally suggest you stick with Advanced just because it scales really well (relative to Standard) and considering you may be able to pull 70's and 80's, I personally believe you will find Standard a bore. My school doesn't offer Standard Maths but from what I've seen it is basically the equivalent of Yr 7 and 8 maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)