Modern or PDHPE? (1 Viewer)

HS15

HSC
N/A
:confused2:
Hey
Okay so, I've started Yr 12 and at the moment I'm doing 13 units and I'm NOT coping. like i barely finish my homework. so in other words, i need to drop something. i have to drop either PDHPE or modern History and i can't make up my mind. Its really annoying and i keep stressing myself out. Also i cant choose which one i 'like better' because i think i like them both equally. I'm coming 3rd in PDHPE out of about 50 people but the marks aren't that great (i.e. 73%) - this either means that my whole cohort is not that good or our school marks really hard. But I think i want to do something to do with health later on so i love the PDH course.
And then in Modern, I'm not coming first (like 70%s so pretty much average) but I've been told modern scales a lot better than PDHPE. My essay skills aren't that good but if I continue Modern then it will make this more advanced and also help me with english. But on the other hand, I think Pdhpe would be easier to do well and get a good atar.
Any thoughts? :blink2:

Last edited:

piethepker

HSC
N/A
When you say ranks a lot better then PDHPE, do you mean to say modern scales a lot better then PDHPE?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I think you'd be better suited to keep PDHPE - you obviously enjoy it more than Modern; as you desire to enter something related to health, plus 3/50 is quite good rank-wise. Remember, just because X subject scales better than Y subject, it does not necessarily denote that it'll increase the chances of getting a good ATAR - you still have to do well in whatever subjects you do apart from PDHPE and Modern (and obviously English :haha: )

Just a side note, I strongly disagree with the notion that doing Modern will help with English; disregarding the clear requirement of having a logical train of thought in your argument. They're different subjects - your "English" skills of bullshitting analysis in your analytical responses will not work in Modern, they don't give a crap about your flowery language - all they are looking for is you explaining how and why this event occurred in your essay in a clear, succinct manner. So I would say in Modern: you must know your stuff back to front, whereas with English you can get away with cramming (albeit for Module B where you got to know your set text holistically).

But of course, you seem more inclined towards PDHPE, so I suggest you continue it and drop Modern.

harvey1997

HSC
N/A
PE!!!! 100%
DONT DO MODERN!!
i did pe - it is amazing

my friends did modern and it was hell, very hard!
you can easily get a band 6 in PE! trust me if you want a better atar do PE

Fiction

HSC
I think you'd be better suited to keep PDHPE - you obviously enjoy it more than Modern; as you desire to enter something related to health, plus 3/50 is quite good rank-wise. Remember, just because X subject scales better than Y subject, it does not necessarily denote that it'll increase the chances of getting a good ATAR - you still have to do well in whatever subjects you do apart from PDHPE and Modern (and obviously English :haha: )

Just a side note, I strongly disagree with the notion that doing Modern will help with English; disregarding the clear requirement of having a logical train of thought in your argument. They're different subjects - your "English" skills of bullshitting analysis in your analytical responses will not work in Modern, they don't give a crap about your flowery language - all they are looking for is you explaining how and why this event occurred in your essay in a clear, succinct manner. So I would say in Modern: you must know your stuff back to front, whereas with English you can get away with cramming (albeit for Module B where you got to know your set text holistically).

But of course, you seem more inclined towards PDHPE, so I suggest you continue it and drop Modern.
I don't often agree with you, but OP hawkie has a point here. Please don't confuse English essays with the humanities, social sciences or Visual arts. It's not the same. English usually requires alot more analysis, quotes etc, whileas humanities and the social sciences and Visual arts seem to lean more towards being more contextual based. I've gotten awards in history and I did economics and VA in prelim, and neither really contributed to my english skills (they helped each other as eco and VA essay structures are quite similar c:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)