Modular arithmetic allowed in the HSC? (1 Viewer)

HeroWise

HSC
Are things such as modular arithmetic, which is SO COMMON, not allowed at all?

sida1049

HSC
it really depends on whether you're willing to bet those marks on the likelihood your marker understands modular arithmetic techniques

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Where would you even need to use modular arithmetic in the HSC?

HeroWise

HSC
Question shouldve stated "hypothetically " rather. enamored with olympiad questions sorry

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Still not following? :confused:

HeroWise

HSC
i am sorry for not being able to ask a clear cut question.

Have used mod arithmetic for many problems, i love doing olympiad questions in my free time. There are many tools that I can just quote and use. But in HSC its a different ball game.
They have asked power series in the past. If you have a vague understanding you will definitly get the question out. I am scared they are gonna chuck something like mod arith soon. Derrangements were even asked once.

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
In 4u they can throw a lot of not 'taught' concepts as long as they define/explain it. For example in 2016 dearrangements was asked which isn't really taught in schools.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
i am sorry for not being able to ask a clear cut question.

Have used mod arithmetic for many problems, i love doing olympiad questions in my free time. There are many tools that I can just quote and use. But in HSC its a different ball game.
They have asked power series in the past. If you have a vague understanding you will definitly get the question out. I am scared they are gonna chuck something like mod arith soon. Derrangements were even asked once.
HSC questions are never designed to ask students to call upon concepts outside the syllabus. If you carefully look at the power series questions asked in the past, you don't need to know anything about power series to actually answer the question. Even though the context of the question may appear unfamiliar, the tools you have from the syllabus are sufficient to answer it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)