Module A essay structure (1 Viewer)

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Hi I have an upcoming assessment task on Module A (Virginia Wolf zzzzz) and I'm just wondering how you guys would structure your essay?

I'm planning to do what I did last year (because I got 17/20), which was:
Introduction
Context
Context of Text 1
Context of Text 2
Body
Argument 1 for text 1
Argument 1 for text 2
Argument 2 for text 1
Argument 2 for text 2
(All of this referring back to context and the other text)
Conclusion

Is this structure ok? Or should I not separate context and instead make it part of the body?

I'm really anxious to do well in this assessment task, I haven't done very well in my first two tasks (10/15 for both =( )

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Can you do it thematically?
technically what he put was structured by themes.
I think for Module A, you should integrate context with the main body. It works quite well that way

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
I just dont understand how I would integrate it though? :S

Like when I used my structure last year, I would clearly set out the context, then refer back to it many times as I wrote the body. If I were to integrate it, would I just refer to parts of the context when I needed to use it?

Like this?
This text explores the blah blah blah, as it was written in a time of blah blah blah, and hence the author was blah blah.

tambam

HSC
I am in the process of writing my essay, also on Virgina Woolf.
Basically, if you separate the context from your themes, your essay will be extremely long.
So mention the context of each text briefly in the introduction (one sentence on each), and then you can expand on these later in your essay.
Do:
Issue 1 Text 1, relating it to context, and expanding on the main contextual values in your introduction.
Issue 2 Text 2, whilst referring to similarities/differences regarding the issue to the previous text.
Etc. for issue 2.

lucyc19

HSC
Definitely DO NOT separate discussion of context - it is meant to be the vehicle for understanding the connections between texts. This is the absolute no-no - 17/20 in year 11 is a good mark, but it won't be near that in year 12. we've been told (very harch marking at school though) that for our assessment, only essays with integrated discussions will access the top two bands.

Also, remember that in the HSC you'll only have 40 minutes to plan and write your response, meaning 15 minutes at most on each text. That's enough for two comparative points, or four paragraphs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)