Module B - Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

jkp

I'm just glad its ova but wat i did was present a speech from an english lecturer about the texts and ways of thinking referring to pnp, browning etc as examples of reflecting the ways of thinking of the time...ppl have written full on stories...so maybe mine lacks imagination but it expresses the ways of thinking of the time i think?

Ditfos

HSC
N/A
Really, mine wasn't up to scratch, it was about a once-revolutionary female poet in 1805 bickering about how she's ended up in the majority to her child through a letter.

fivebyfive

HSC
Hmmm I thought they would look at centre number too...however then i worked out that we have 3 ext eng classes and 2 of them are doing Retreat from the Global and one is doing Crime Fiction. So i guess you need to specify...don't worry.
I'm sure whatever you wrote made it fairly clear which elective you were doing.

sarah_

hmmm...so what happens if 2 students from the same school plan a story that they would write if they got such a question as the one we got...although some things are different: names etc. the concept and plot is the same. it isn't plagiarism...but it's close...anyone know?

aywkubt_tod

i wrote about a gothic writer who'd been invited to speak at a conference about ind. in society and what it means to him as a writer. he is stuck on a train trying to write his speech, suffering from insomnia while people in the next cabin are going at it. because he gets stir crazy he drinks some scotch and begins to rant about how stupid and vague to concept is and about how everyone has different views of what society is.. he then dreams he is lydia from pride and prejudice..

odd stuff there

fivebyfive

HSC
Hahaha...

Um...in response to sarah_
I have a twin brother at my school and i read him my half yearly story the day before the exam....so we both ended up using it...just changing a little bit in the end. They can't accuse you of cheating...so hmm...whatever. I thought it was kinda amusing ;)

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
fivebyfive said:
Um...in response to sarah_
I have a twin brother at my school and i read him my half yearly story the day before the exam....so we both ended up using it...just changing a little bit in the end. They can't accuse you of cheating...so hmm...whatever. I thought it was kinda amusing ;)
i didn't even think to write an article or journal entries or anythin...mine was just the usual surreal amalgamation of cultural cliches, hackneyed poststructuralist metaphors, heavy-handed "subversive" symbolism and a token cameo from god in an unexpected guise. nothing particularly interesting. :(

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Did anyone find that your story would have been better as a short film or in the visual medium somehow?

Over the past year it just feels to me that all of my stories are written more as though they should be a TV episode or something rather than a short story/narrative. I don't even think about it and visual gags appear in my works for instance, at the end of my story the guy who was exiled to Africa and did humanitarian work there because of his anti-Government views got pissed off with that crap and went back to (unnammed country) to get "reeducated" (in a re-education camp) and reintegrated with society.

Except I had already explained this concept before hand in the story and also attached a certain way of speaking to the brainwashed concept.

What I did though was I cut from him in Africa simply to him brainwashed.

I feel it would have been much better to do with a cut scene and then zooming out as his alarm clock played "Workin' 9-5" (that song). Of course there's no way I can convey this in a narrative. I've started thinking more in film terms than short stories!

Anyone else find this?

Young'un

HSC
N/A
I was really happy

Doing individual and society

I got a B for every single exam response, assessment task and practice task during the entire two years except two - a speech (I'm good at speaking) and a story I made up in a practice creative one (I think it should be called North and Prejudice or something because it was so similar to each).

I used it, and hopefully I'll go better than normal, because I'm usually better at the essay, particularly when the creative task is actually creative, not 'write the script of an interview with the composers...'

It included a character who was basically a cross between Margaret, Mr Thornton and Lizzy and another who was similar to Mr Darcy (and Mr Thornton, a little).

It ended with the Darcy character pausing and reflecting on whether he should marry the heroine, because she has inherited a factory but instead of pretending to have nothing to do with it and being a nice respectable lady she has tried to help her workers. He has meanwhile been elected to parliament as a radical, and knew about her factory but didn't know it was her running it.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Ziff said:
Did anyone find that your story would have been better as a short film or in the visual medium somehow?

Over the past year it just feels to me that all of my stories are written more as though they should be a TV episode or something rather than a short story/narrative. I don't even think about it and visual gags appear in my works for instance, at the end of my story the guy who was exiled to Africa and did humanitarian work there because of his anti-Government views got pissed off with that crap and went back to (unnammed country) to get "reeducated" (in a re-education camp) and reintegrated with society.

Except I had already explained this concept before hand in the story and also attached a certain way of speaking to the brainwashed concept.

What I did though was I cut from him in Africa simply to him brainwashed.

I feel it would have been much better to do with a cut scene and then zooming out as his alarm clock played "Workin' 9-5" (that song). Of course there's no way I can convey this in a narrative. I've started thinking more in film terms than short stories!

Anyone else find this?
Yeah, I found this a bit (I actually almost starting writing in script format in the exam cos I'm just used to writing dialogue centred with the character name above it etc. from ee2). But why didn't you just write it as a script? It just said creative composition, which includes script.

lauren_carter27

Colossal Member
HSC
Um I did a speech basically arguing against the local:good, global:bad thing, as I think that is now the majority's way of thinking. I screwed up, didn't I? It's okay, be honest, I already found out I've stuffed every other exam - I can take another one.

tamster

I wrote about a group of colonists from Britain. They were hunting a village of Aboriginals. It started with the global as in the colonists were only thinking of their country. Then at the Aboriginal camp they begin to realise (reflect) that they were actually individuals. The 'global' colonists then went into the local when they realised personal characteristics of people instead of just their country. It had a heap of symbolism in it too. I had the 'second person' narrator reasuring himself of his duty (global) with the decorated metal shaft (symbol of civilisation) of his rifle. At the end he realises that there is also the plain wooden butt of the rifle there too. (the simply foundations ie the Aboriginal's 'primitive' culture)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)