Module C discursive techniques? (1 Viewer)

tekken290

HSC
Hey guys,

So I've come to realise that a discursive is a much better option to take instead of creative or persuasive since you can literally whip it up on the spot and still produce something of decent quality. My only query is however, what kind of techniques or stylistic features would you be implementing into a discursive and then discussing in your reflection? Could you guys provide a few go-to techniques you'd use in a discursive?

Thanks!

jojosiwa123

HSC
my absolute go to- hypophora: you ask the audience a rhetorical question and then immediately answer it
example: what makes nesa so great? their ability to torture students
--> shows that u have confidence in what you're talking about, addressing the audiences' objections before they bring it up.

personal anecdote: EXTREMELY easy to incorporate in any discursive, you can definitely make something up and/or embellish your own if you can't think of anything else although I have some friends who are so stubborn about not writing something they didn't 'actually' experience hahaha

colloquial language (self-explanatory haha) but allows you to build familiarity w audience.

anaphora: extremely effective way to emphasise a point, add rhythm and emotion. for example MLK's "I have a dream speech"
use the same word at the start of successive sentences.
MUCH better than just saying 'repetition' (be careful not to overdo it though since it's a pretty common one with the new syllabus)

apophasis: an easy way to incorporate irony into your work.
Example (Trump's tweets): I would NEVER call [Kim Jong-un] short and fat...
Example: I won't say anything bad about my opponent's history of tax fraud...
--> entertaining for the audience, undermines other arguments or sides.

hyperbole: pretty simple to implement, but most people don't bother to pick it out as a technique for their reflection
EG: it took a thousand years to get my KFC
--> obvious exaggeration, entertaining/interest building and also emphasises your point.

pay attention to language for example adjectives, low vs high modal words, high modal=more formal, more powerful- keep it mostly low modal as this differentiates it from a persuasive
look up logos, pathos and ethos if you haven't already (very helpful for persuasive as well)

there are many obvious techniques such as simile and metaphor- make sure you don't neglect them for being too common- you'd be surprised how many kids still don't know wtf a metaphor is. try and use unique metaphors/simile (although don't be excessively pretentious about it haha like 'her smile was as bright the feathers of the white dove from my mother's second marriage' ). I've given you pretty simple techniques because you need to go through your Mod C texts and see what they've used- the whole point of the module is to show that you can appropriate the techniques you've seen. make sure you know how to link the techniques to ur texts.
BTW you might be forced to do an imaginative or persuasive so prepare for that too!!

Last edited:

studiesofboard

HSC
  • Third person
  • Present tense
  • High modality language
  • Cause and effect statements
  • Formal tone and formal language

Naima AMin

HSC
Hey guys,

So I've come to realise that a discursive is a much better option to take instead of creative or persuasive since you can literally whip it up on the spot and still produce something of decent quality. My only query is however, what kind of techniques or stylistic features would you be implementing into a discursive and then discussing in your reflection? Could you guys provide a few go-to techniques you'd use in a discursive?

Thanks!
????
HIII HOW MANY WORDS IS THE MINIMUM FOR DISCURSIVE AND REFLECTION??????

jojosiwa123

HSC
????
HIII HOW MANY WORDS IS THE MINIMUM FOR DISCURSIVE AND REFLECTION??????
chill....
for 20 marks in 40 mins you need to write about 1000 words. (800 is okay if the essay is really good)
so if both reflection and discursive are worth 10 marks each... 500 words is fine for both.
BUT keep in mind sometimes there's no reflection, or the reflection is weighted differently so it's up to you to decide how much to write.
ahaha you'll be fine!!! just practice a few responses :)

Naima AMin

HSC
chill....
for 20 marks in 40 mins you need to write about 1000 words. (800 is okay if the essay is really good)
so if both reflection and discursive are worth 10 marks each... 500 words is fine for both.
BUT keep in mind sometimes there's no reflection, or the reflection is weighted differently so it's up to you to decide how much to write.
ahaha you'll be fine!!! just practice a few responses :)
gotcha thaNKS!!!! do you happen to have any exemplar responses i could possible take a look at please? :))

jojosiwa123

HSC
gotcha thaNKS!!!! do you happen to have any exemplar responses i could possible take a look at please? :))
not for discursives sorry!! but the whole point of putting discursives in the new syllabus was that they're all around us- for example you can read any opinion piece on the New York Times, Vox, the Guardian etc. you can also read blog posts (for example how cooking blogs go on a spiel about their lastest adventure which inspired them to make apple pie...that's a discursive!)

shashysha

HSC
uhhhh whatt is this true
yeah im pretty sure they can specify what text type out of imaginative, persuasive, discursive or informative but im hoping theyll give us all 4 and just tell us to choose

ultra908

HSC
yeah im pretty sure they can specify what text type out of imaginative, persuasive, discursive or informative but im hoping theyll give us all 4 and just tell us to choose
but the rubric only specifies study 2 doesnt it

studiesofboard

HSC
No. You study two prescribed texts and they can ask you to do a imaginative, persuasive, discursive or informative.

c8

HSC
They can specifically ask for imaginative, persuasive or discursive. They didn't specify one last year so a lot of people and teachers think they may ask for a specific one this year but who knows

jojosiwa123

HSC
how could they do informative though (I've never done anything on it in class...)
how are we supposed to know enough about the one topic or whatever to write about it?

c8

HSC
how could they do informative though (I've never done anything on it in class...)
how are we supposed to know enough about the one topic or whatever to write about it?
Last I recall there wasn't an informative. Defos can specify imaginative, persuasive and discursive though im 99% sure lmao

shashysha

HSC
No idea, my teacher said they can test us on it but also said it's not worth our time learning

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
I think it's just me but I literally suck at writing discursives, imaginative all the way. might just cry if they ask specifically for a discursive.

Vitrecan

HSC
I'm just going to one trick imaginative and cry for the best honestly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)