Module C - How should I approach an imaginative task? (1 Viewer)

chaevely_park

HSC
Hi everyone!

I am currently struggling with writing a practice imaginative, and so I was hoping you could give me some advice :) Here are my questions:

1. How should I approach an imaginative task from the very start?
If I haven't written anything/looking to rewrite my imaginative, should I start with thinking of a plot/idea OR the prescribed text(s) and their forms and features that I want to incorporate into my imaginative? Which would be the most effective approach?

2. Do you have any recommended genres to write in? If so, what are they and why do you recommend them?
- e.g. historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction

3. What are some safe themes/ideas to use, so that my imaginative is adaptable to new questions with unseen stimuli?

4. What do I do with my completed imaginative?

After I get feedback and alter it, should I then attempt to adapt the imaginative to different questions or should I start a new piece?

5. How do you personally think of plot ideas?
All of my ideas are currently nonexistent. Send help!!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, here is what I think:

1- I believe that approaching an imaginative task should be initiated through a combination of a plot/idea and prescribed texts (and their features) considerations, as opposed to focusing on strictly one of those aspects as you have suggested. This will enable you to maximise your insight into literary techniques and linguistic devices that you will choose to incorporate into your imaginative piece, with the subsequent ability for the plot/idea to provide guidance for this process, resulting in an effective link between those and ultimately making a positive contribution to your writing.

2- Essentially, when writing an imaginative piece, students assume that the intended audience will be familiar with their chosen genre, which implies that students will not limit their writing style to accommodate a potentially unaware audience as this does not apply in this case. Based on this, you should select the genre that you have the most exposure to as well as the highest writing ability in, allowing you to be confident as you develop your imaginative piece.

With that being said, and to answer your question, I would personally suggest prioritising science fiction, as I believe it provides the most extensive opportunity to demonstrate your creativity and imagination through your writing. Fantasy may also be an option, given that it shares the aspect of openness with science fiction, which is something that you can capitalise on as I mentioned.

3- General themes/ideas tend to be the safest to utilise in terms of being the most adaptable to different questions and unseen stimuli, given their non-specific nature. In addition to common examples of general themes/ideas (such as love, death, adventure, courage, etc.), you may wish to consider themes and ideas raised by Module C as this will enable you to establish a direct relationship between your imaginative piece and the target/assessed module.

4- Similar to your first question, I don't think you should restrict your preparations to either adapting your imaginative piece to different questions or starting a new piece. Instead, you should combine both strategies as doing so will not only maximise your exposure to different types of questions, but will also allow you to improve your writing as well as develop and retain a wider range of ideas as you subsequently develop multiple imaginative pieces to support your preparations.

5- I personally like to consider things that inspire me in addition to topics/ideas that I am personally interested in. Your own personal interests and things that you find inspirational can guide your thought process in terms of determining the best possible plot idea that would not only suit a high quality, well-written imaginative piece, but also satisfy your own personal writing interests.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)