• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Moisturisers! What do you use? Does it work? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I've been using a plain Olay moisturiser for ages now, and recently switched to Total Effects recently in the hope that starting early will do good for my skin.

But aside from being much thicker in consistency, I find that I have to be really careful about only putting a little on because most of it isn't absorbed into my skin properly, or only sinks in to just under the skin's surface - because the following morning, I can usually wash it off with a light splash of water. And I don't cake on my moisturiser. My skin isn't dry at all... but the fact that there's still an excess of moisturiser (or something like that) the following morning doesn't sound good to me.

So I figure - this isn't the right moisturiser for me!

What do you use?

EDIT: Oops, should probably mention I have normal/dry/combination skin. Leaning more towards normal/dry as hormones settle down, though.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

is bored
HSC
my skin is dry now (since im on acne medication) so i use the Dove range of cleanser, toner and mosituriser...

before when my skin was fairly oily, i used the sensitive clearasil (sp?) range of cleanser, toner and mosituriser...

maybe you shouldNT put so much cream on ur face if you feel there is excess

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
The thing is, I'm barely putting any on at all at the moment... like seriously. It's about the same amount as I'd use if it was a liquid foundation (or maybe I HAVE been putting on way too much?). I don't think it's the moisturiser at total blame though - I vaguely remember someone telling me about epidermis, and how sometimes it won't absorb moisturiser very well so it "sits" on the skin.

Always

HSC
I use Dermalogica Active Moist. I have to say I've yet to find a better moisturiser. It makes my skin feel soft but not artificially smooth like some moisturisers.

(I have combination skin)

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i have quite a collection..
cetaphil
palmers cocoa butter
garnier
and a variety of different body shop body butters, as well a jojoba oil from the body shop as well
and they are all pretty good

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i dont really moisturise my face, just cleanse. but my hands are SO so dry. like peeling-dry. its from work. i work at a chicken shop and id say too much water and harsh chemicals. so i use this awesome moisturiser called Eulactol cream. its good. but pretty expensive.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
i think i use neutrogena... but im not too sure...
but i used to use L'Oreal... and that was *awesome*!!!
ummm the name...i cant remember...it was green though

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
I dont know what combination my skin is.. I think its normal. I dont get pimples hardly ever, like having one pimple is a big deal for me, so Im guessing its not oily?

Anyways I like Clinque's moisturiser. Its light and good! But atm I'm using their tinted moisturiser, it has sparkles in it too, its so cute <3 but they stopped making it!! :eek: I dont know why..

Anyways the only time I put on moisturiser is either under foundation or instead of foundation (normal under foundation and the tinted one instead of foundation)

The end.

spoon3er

HSC
N/A
i guess olay total effects is just one of those products which get promoted almost as if they're wonder drugs! but i remember reading somewhere that half the women who've tried it hate it cos it just doesn't work for them

personally, i think total effects would be more suited to a mature skin type (which tends to be drier and less oily than a more youthful skin type) BECAUSE of how thick the consistency is, making it difficult to absorb. i mean, u certainly wouldn't want to make the skin more oily than what it actually is, esp for someone with combination/oily skin

i'm still sticking to the acne/pimple-preventing products even though i've completely gone past that stage... that whole clean & clear 3-step routine is still working for me! but really, i think any skin routine would be considered good for any type of skin so long as it incorporates cleansing, toning and light moisturising (i say LIGHT cos toning is, in a sense, preventing the loss of moisture from the face)

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Shell said:
i dont really moisturise my face, just cleanse. but my hands are SO so dry. like peeling-dry. its from work. i work at a chicken shop and id say too much water and harsh chemicals. so i use this awesome moisturiser called Eulactol cream. its good. but pretty expensive.

hemp hand cream for the body shop is really good as well

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
i used that moisturiser from loreal pure zone, does not do anything for me (got oily skin)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I use Sorbolene moisturiser - redwin sensitive skin with plant derived glycerine

Anyone use the same? :)

HSC
miss_gtr said:
I have EXTREMELY DRY SKIN.. And recently i started using ROSEHIP OIL.. so now I put that on first then a layer of palmers eventone skin cream. Works a treat... my face is now leaning on normal.
i just recently started getting really dry skin! i'm definitely going to try this out now. thanks miss gtr! :)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
if your skin can handle it (ie isn't too oily) then Nivea face moisturiser is absolutely brilliant.

i've been using it since i was 12 and because i have a slightly dry complexion it works wonders. i rarely ever get a single pimple.

Lennie

If you don't need to use moisturiser, don't use it. Glitterfairy, Total Effects is packed with chemicals and may be way too harsh for your skin. A really light moisturiser with a bit of sunscreen would be perfect.

I have REALLY REALLY sensitive skin, so anything with fragrance is ruled out. If i need to moisturise, I use a bit of pure Almond Oil (just bought from health food stores), or if my skin is going through a dry phase, I'll put a really thin layer of lucas paw paw ointment on affected areas, and leave it overnight. It cures all :p

HSC
N/A
Yeah, my skin hates fragrance too. Non-fragranced all the way!

Unfortunately I think I do need moisturiser, as some parts of my skin get really irritated if not moisturised (particularly during winter). But what I might do is go back to the normal - plain - Olay moisturiser, which my skin seemed to get along with. There's nothing special in it whatsoever, so there's nothing for my skin to react against :) Before I got Total Effects I was using an Olay moisturiser with sunscreen in it, but my skin wasn't really "happy" for the few minutes post-application :( May have been some fragrance in the moisturiser, though..

Actually there's a company called "La Reve" whose products I tried at a hen's night, it was really lovely! But they only do consultation sales... argh to the max!

Skincare. Complicated!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Yeah, my skin hates fragrance too. Non-fragranced all the way!
non-fragranced is so much more natural.

i have normal to dry skin. i only get pimples when i put sun-cream on or when i'm stressed, so I use moisturiser twice a day to keep my skin hydrated.

i use Clinique's moisturiser. I've gone through quite a lot of natural products coz my grandma is a beautician, but this is the only moisturiser which has actually worked. It's quite pricey actually, but my mum buys it for me coz she also uses it.

i think that the more you pay, the better you get. Although I know people who swear by Sorbplene cream.

HSC
I definitely agree with Clinique. My grandma has been using it since she was arou nd 18, and her skin is still gorgeous today at 70. It's extremely smooth and surprisingly with few wrinkles.
I also use Clinique 3-Step, and it's great for my skin. I used to have really dry skin around the cheeks, mouth and nostril, but after about 1 month of Clinique, that's gone. I've been using it for 2 months now, and my skin's never been better. I also noticed it decreasing the number of outbreaks I have, as well as its severity.
If you're willing to spend the money, also opt for Lancome HydraZen Nuit, which is a night cream. It's great for conditioning your skin for the coming day !

Best of luck finding a good moisturiser !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)