Molar heat of combustion vs. Molecular weight. (1 Viewer)

How did you plot your graph ?

• Plotted values as crosses and used line of best fit.

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • Plotted values as crosses and used curve of best fit.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Plotted values as crosses and did not use a line or curve of best fit.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Plotted values as dots and used line of best fit.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Plotted values as dots and used curve of best fit.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Plotted values as dots and did not use a line or curve of best fit.

Votes: 8 8.5%

• Total voters

dwatt

HSC
Well...I'm not so sure about this question. It does to be more than a co-incidence that the people who chose to start from methanol obtained a straight line through the dots. I also read it as starting from 0 (though I think that's incorrect in hindsight).

I felt confident in using a line of best fit because the following question (about deviation from expected values) implied that there was something iffy about the method, so I thought it was ok that they didn't match up!

Ah well - can't do anything about it now.

ravdawg

HSC
THere was no need to put your line through the origin as the smallest mass of an alkanol is meth. I did a line of best fit with crosses and started my graph from meth up, the line doesnt mean anything for any mass less than meth, but then again it doesnt mean anything for values in between meth- eth, eth-pro etc.
So i dunno, i dont think we were meant to graph thru origin anyway, because it wouldve screwed the gradient of the graph.

HSC
I picked the first one in the poll - Plotted values as crosses and used line of best fit.
elseany said:
my line of best fit went in perfectly, it was a straight line passing through all the points
Same here. :uhhuh:
Martyno1 said:
I got 1700 too and I did the first one in the poll
I might've got that... it kinda rings a bell. (lol, I don't really remember). :eek:

k4t5UM0t0

HSC
Did anyone label the y-axis or give the graph a title
and put the units on

I estimated it to 1260kJ/mol
b) incomplete combustion

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
lol I didn't even think about methanol I just whacked a straight line through those suckers.

I almost used 5 carbons etc. for my molecular weight, no idea what I was thinking. I got 2000 and something and it was off the graph. So glad I realised I was being the biggest dumbass ever and fixed my mistake.

ravdawg

HSC
Fish Sauce said:
lol I didn't even think about methanol I just whacked a straight line through those suckers.

I almost used 5 carbons etc. for my molecular weight, no idea what I was thinking. I got 2000 and something and it was off the graph. So glad I realised I was being the biggest dumbass ever and fixed my mistake.

lol i did the same thing, when i read its theoretical value should b more than 2000 i was like wtf it is... Oh shit, does anyonen have a rubber

mitchbazza

HSC
k4t5UM0t0 said:
Did anyone label the y-axis or give the graph a title
and put the units on

I estimated it to 1260kJ/mol
b) incomplete combustion
Yeah i labelled and gave the graph a title.

and for b) alkanols contain oxygen atoms, they usually combust completely.. hence ethanol burns clear. I think i just went with impurities and possible dilution

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
mitchbazza said:
Yeah i labelled and gave the graph a title.

and for b) alkanols contain oxygen atoms, they usually combust completely.. hence ethanol burns clear. I think i just went with impurities and possible dilution
Oh god, damn there are so many ways to not gain full marks (rather than lose marks in the old HSC) other than not including a title.

HSC
I labelled the y-axis. I was going to give it a title (I remembered that I needed to give it a title) but I didn't know what to name it, so I just left it. :eek:

mithril1337

HSC
Silly question:

did you remember to plot the molecular weights according to the substances molecular weight and not a fixed point in the x-axis??

well i got 1360

hecticleb

HSC
N/A
yea thats true methanol is the smallest value thats where my line started and propanol was like 1320 right?

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
mithril1337 said:
Silly question:

did you remember to plot the molecular weights according to the substances molecular weight and not a fixed point in the x-axis??

well i got 1360
What do you mean?

ravdawg

HSC
P.S if u wanna know how ur graph was meant tolook like check 03 q 25, and look at the alkanols line. I dont think they wouldve cut marks for not starting at meth, but u never know.

mzduxx2006

HSC
Forbidden. said:
I plotted my molecular weight across the horizontal axis in 20 unit increments.
I plotted my molar eight of combustion across the vertical axis in 200 kJ/mol increments.
Unfortunately my line of best fit didn't even go through any of my plots (crosses)

My estimated heat of combustion for 1-propanol was 1700 kJ/mol ... I think that's way off ...
My reason why other than heat loss why the heat of combustion was less than the theoretical value was 'incomplete combustion may have occurred as a result of lower oxygen levels in the laboratory'.
omg yes i said incomplete combustion as well...HIGH FIVE!

my estimation however was around 1300 which was still way OFF bahahaha

Romina

HSC
no one can be as WAY off as me, i got 2550 HAHAHAHAHAHA

failure here I come!

mzduxx2006

HSC
Shrikar said:
Was joining the dots what you meant by line of best fit? If not then yeiks.

I think I put down 1320 KJ /mol for 1 - propanol
omg i got near there aswell.....lulling myself into a false sense of security here peopleS!!!! :D

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
the graph can NOT go through the origin if the origin is zero...

and b is incomplete combustion

we did a whole assessment task worth 25% on this shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)