Monash University vs Melbourne University (1 Viewer)

paddy_mac

HSC
I received an enter score of 91.70 which can get me into Monash or Melbourne. What I want to know is simply which one is better for engineering?
I live in the inner west area so it'll take longer to get to Monash. Is it that much of a problem getting though?
Also Monash has the higher enter score. Does this mean it has a higher reputation? Just need to weigh up everything before I make my decision.

Ben1220

HSC
I received an enter score of 91.70 which can get me into Monash or Melbourne. What I want to know is simply which one is better for engineering?
I live in the inner west area so it'll take longer to get to Monash. Is it that much of a problem getting though?
Also Monash has the higher enter score. Does this mean it has a higher reputation? Just need to weigh up everything before I make my decision.
First of all, there is a course information day at Melbourne in a few days, I'm not sure if Monash do the same thing. Heres a link: Course Information Day - Future students

I don't know much about Monash's courses so I can't really recommend one over the other, hopefully someone else will provide information for you for Monash, but I just want to bring to your attention that you can also do the Bachelor of Science at Melbourne and major in one of many avaliable engineering majors, as opposed to doing the old Bachelor of Engineering. Heres some sites for you

Science Majors - new generation BSc : Science Student Centre : The University of Melbourne
Undergraduate Studies in Engineering: Melbourne School of Engineering : The University of Melbourne
Bachelor of Engineering: Melbourne School of Engineering: The University of Melbourne
Engineering within a Bachelor of Science: Melbourne School of Engineering: The University of Melbourne

Its basically the same as doing the BEng I think, although you might want to look at both course structures on the internet if you want more information.

At Melbourne a quarter of your subjects need to come from another faculty, in what is called the breadth componant of your degree. This can be a very good thing if you have a wide range of interests. You can generally just pick subjects that interest you. I'm doing mainly philosophy in my breadth for example :)

Melbourne is generally ranked well over Monash as a general university, usually in the top 1 2 or 3 in Australia, but this should only be a slight factor in your decision. Both are good Universities.

paddy_mac

HSC
First of all, there is a course information day at Melbourne in a few days, I'm not sure if Monash do the same thing. Heres a link: Course Information Day - Future students

I don't know much about Monash's courses so I can't really recommend one over the other, hopefully someone else will provide information for you for Monash, but I just want to bring to your attention that you can also do the Bachelor of Science at Melbourne and major in one of many avaliable engineering majors, as opposed to doing the old Bachelor of Engineering. Heres some sites for you

Science Majors - new generation BSc : Science Student Centre : The University of Melbourne
Undergraduate Studies in Engineering: Melbourne School of Engineering : The University of Melbourne
Bachelor of Engineering: Melbourne School of Engineering: The University of Melbourne
Engineering within a Bachelor of Science: Melbourne School of Engineering: The University of Melbourne

Its basically the same as doing the BEng I think, although you might want to look at both course structures on the internet if you want more information.

At Melbourne a quarter of your subjects need to come from another faculty, in what is called the breadth componant of your degree. This can be a very good thing if you have a wide range of interests. You can generally just pick subjects that interest you. I'm doing mainly philosophy in my breadth for example :)

Melbourne is generally ranked well over Monash as a general university, usually in the top 1 2 or 3 in Australia, but this should only be a slight factor in your decision. Both are good Universities.
I've had a look at this and it looks like a really good pathway for people who want to get a Masters degree. I suppose it's also good for students who haven't made their mind up on what they want to do yet. For me, engineering is my passion. I'm 100% sure that it's what I want to do. The only thing that really is putting me off the Bachelor of Science course is the fact that I can't apply for an Undergraduate Scholarship with the ADF. It must be a Bachelor of Engineering.

Geologist

HSC
Melbourne University is so so so so shit. I seriously regret going there instead of Monash. The people at Melb all look like they're about to die of boredom and hatred for their own life. Plus all the faculty staff are epic pricks, and the courses designed especially so you will never find a point of enjoyment no matter how optimistic you stay.

Glad to be out of that dungeon. I actually developed severe deppression solely because of the atmosphere of that place.

paddy_mac

HSC
Melbourne University is so so so so shit. I seriously regret going there instead of Monash. The people at Melb all look like they're about to die of boredom and hatred for their own life. Plus all the faculty staff are epic pricks, and the courses designed especially so you will never find a point of enjoyment no matter how optimistic you stay.

Glad to be out of that dungeon. I actually developed severe deppression solely because of the atmosphere of that place.
Maybe it just wasn't for you. As you've probably noticed on my signature I've made my mind up. It's what I want to do and Melbourne Uni will get me what I want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)