monitor troubles (1 Viewer)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
my 17in CRT monitor recently fuked up. all i see when i turn it on is a single horizontal line across the screen. its pretty old, but it was working fine before. i got a new monitor today, but i'm just wondering if u guys might know wots wrong with my old one, in case its something easily fixable

thnx

J0n

N/A
HSC
At school that happens, we just give it a big whack! :D

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
nope, nothing, its just one line, like the whole height of the screen has been squeezed down to a couple millimetres

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
My monitor likes to turn yellow once in a while...

Winston

HSC
That's what happens to most CRT's i've seen it happen all the time, there's really no fix, and worthless fixing it anyways since CRT's sucks LCD all the way!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
*cough* $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for LCD.....

Are LCD's eyesight friendly?

as in they don't screw it up? :p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
lcds are better for your eyes than crts

but crts are.. better for graphics stuff. something about the way it displays pixels

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
*cough* $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for LCD.....

Are LCD's eyesight friendly?

as in they don't screw it up? :p

LOL Tell you something funny i use to have a CRT and as you know i'ma computer freak so i'm on it alot and then i switched to LCD's much clearer less strain on my eyes, and i use to have to wear reading glasses but after a few months use for LCD's i had a eye check and he said my eyes have improved drastically
LOL... madness :D

Originally posted by anti
lcds are better for your eyes than crts

but crts are.. better for graphics stuff. something about the way it displays pixels

LCD's aren't good for games apparently because of the quick motion causing blur, i.e. CS, UT games

While CRT's don't cause that blur

I know that Samsung have released a special LCD which is designed for games which rectifies the issue or blurryness.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
LCD's aren't good for games apparently because of the quick motion causing blur, i.e. CS, UT games

While CRT's don't cause that blur

I know that Samsung have released a special LCD which is designed for games which rectifies the issue or blurryness.
noooooooooooooooooo!! Well as you know I am a game freak :D And I need best possible performance :D hence my $50 mouse pad and $20 mouse skates

yoshi

Not to state the obvious but have you tried pressing the Degauss button on your monitor?

Rahul

Dead Member
take it to a professional to have a look at?

btw, professional = cheap small shops, not 'proper' professionals.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Personally, I find CRTs a hell of a lot easier on the eyes than the LCDs... I get headaches after a couple of hours with an LCD.

As for whacking the monitor, J0n, you wonder how it ended up like that in first place? You stupid gobstyk.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Robbo, no more furry hat avatars.

Winston, did you try fixing your CRT refresh rate? Or perhaps it was other things, because most studies agree that a CRT on its highest resolution (above at least 75Hz) is far better for the eyes than an LCD screen, even your 80Hz one.

And yeah, don't whack. It may temporarily fix a dirty/flimsy connection, but it'll damage the actual Evacuated Tube. Remember, low pressure + impact = implosion + release of sulforous gasses = bad.

is a roflcopter
HSC
lcd makes even basic games like HL unplayable :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
lcd makes even basic games like HL unplayable :(
How so?

I've played CS on a laptop which has a LCD screen, but I didn't really noticed much difference?

J0n

N/A
HSC
How so?

I've played CS on a laptop which has a LCD screen, but I didn't really noticed much difference?
I think that it depends on the quality of the screen - most of the modern ones are actually pretty good.

^___^
HSC
well rage
lcd using this thing call liquid crystal and unlike crt *cough* physics ..it works differently

apparently lcd has thig problem...
if u move ur mouse very quickly, u can easily see a trace of ur movement..while u dun in crt cos electrons are travelling very fast ;)

is a roflcopter
HSC
How so?

not too sure on cs
but definately on tfc
but maybe thats cuz tfc is a lot faster and hectic than cs :(

anyway it was at starzone under the cinemas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)