Monster. (1 Viewer)

seanieg89

HSC
A man is in the middle of a circular lake and a monster is at the edge of the shore. The monster runs around the lake at a speed X times the swimming speed of the man (but much slower than the man's running speed), and chooses his running direction at all times optimally in order to catch the man.

a) Can the man escape if X=4? Justify your answer.

b) What is the largest X such that the man can escape and outline the escape strategy for this X.

kawaiipotato

HSC
Curious for the solution. I tried it but I realised can't the man just change directions during his path?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Curious for the solution. I tried it but I realised can't the man just change directions during his path?
Yes, and the monster changes his too (''chooses his running direction at all times optimally in order to catch the man'').

braintic

HSC
N/A
and chooses his running direction at all times optimally in order to catch the man
This is somewhat ambiguous. Does the monster sense a curved path and run to intercept where this curve meets the shoreline. Or does it only sense the current direction of motion?

And do we assume that X times the man's swimming speed is only the maximum speed for the monster, and that it is free to run as slow as it wants?

seanieg89

HSC
This is somewhat ambiguous. Does the monster sense a curved path and run to intercept where this curve meets the shoreline. Or does it only sense the current direction of motion?

And do we assume that X times the man's swimming speed is only the maximum speed for the monster, and that it is free to run as slow as it wants?
It has been ages since I solved this, and I did not write it myself so I cannot be 100% sure. But I believe:

1. It can only see the current position and direction of swimming, but it is also intelligent enough to plan ahead and anticipate the possible plans of the man.

2. Yes it can run as slow as it likes.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I got a really simple solution yielding .

Might be wrong though as I only took a few minutes to think about it and write it out.

Edit: is this more of a simple logic based question or a question of many variables and tedious solution?

Also, I remember the OP date being the date of our MX2 exam. That's probably why no-one answered it back then haha. Everyone was too hyped and busy talking about that exam.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
I got a really simple solution yielding .

Might be wrong though as I only took a few minutes to think about it and write it out.

Edit: is this more of a simple logic based question or a question of many variables and tedious solution?

Also, I remember the OP date being the date of our MX2 exam. That's probably why no-one answered it back then haha. Everyone was too hyped and busy talking about that exam.
Nope, the upper bound is not close to .

Its logic based (in that it is not lateral), but I wouldn't necessarily call it simple.

I didn't use multiple variables, but there are probably lots of ways to think about it and phrase your working.

It isn't hugely tedious but it is not trivial either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)