Morale is low 11 days left until HSC help :( (1 Viewer)

asian

HSC
School Rank 2014: 94/587

Subjects & Ranks
- English Standard (9/101)
- General Mathematics (30/70)
- Business Studies (25/48)
- Biology (29/60)
- Senior Science (8/47)
- Modern History (15/28)
(Note my cohort is really strong this year especially in modern history, biology, general mathematics and business however the top 10 for senior and standard are really strong too)

These were my final internal ranks, i just feel a build up of stress because I'm not sure if my externals will outweigh my poor internals, I have done numerous practice papers for the upcoming HSC and seem to be getting above 90s but I keep hearing that this isn't enough and it is really demoralising. I really want to get into Uni for a bach of science or medical science. To be honest im pretty scared right now ... if anyone is out there that is experienced or can shed some light this would be the right time <3 PLEASEE!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You are stressing, which is NOT unusual at this point in time.

Take a few deep breaths and go out for a few hours and do something you enjoy - outside in the sun if possible, kick a ball, ride a bike something to take you away from your studies.

Then come back and you will feel refreshed and ready to go again.

but remember you are NOT alone and many students are feeling like you at this point in time.

aanthnnyyy

HSC
School Rank 2014: 94/587

Subjects & Ranks
- English Standard (9/101)
- General Mathematics (30/70)
- Business Studies (25/48)
- Biology (29/60)
- Senior Science (8/47)
- Modern History (15/28)
(Note my cohort is really strong this year especially in modern history, biology, general mathematics and business however the top 10 for senior and standard are really strong too)

These were my final internal ranks, i just feel a build up of stress because I'm not sure if my externals will outweigh my poor internals, I have done numerous practice papers for the upcoming HSC and seem to be getting above 90s but I keep hearing that this isn't enough and it is really demoralising. I really want to get into Uni for a bach of science or medical science. To be honest im pretty scared right now ... if anyone is out there that is experienced or can shed some light this would be the right time <3 PLEASEE!
lol at least your school rank is 94. I'm 460......

sida1049

HSC
Ayyyyy same school.

Alright so you want to get into B Science/Medical Science at USYD right? Taking into account the Flexible Entry Scheme (kind of like bonus points in a way), you need an ATAR of at least 80.

ATAR estimates are usually inaccurate when based on ranks, but rather should be based on performance in trial exams, as they are usually a fairly good simulation of what you will actually get in the HSC.

Here are the approximate raw marks you need to get in your HSC exams to hit 80 ATAR:
- Standard English: roughly 70% (and yes, I do think we have a relatively strong Standard cohort. Your rank is fine for this.)
- General Mathematics: roughly low to mid-70s. This you might need to work on more, but believe it or not, two weeks is more than enough time to improve.
- Business Studies: mid-70s.
- Modern History: mid-70s.
- Science Science: I don't have any statistics on this subject to work with, but if I have to guess, it would be at low-80s.
- Biology: Approximately mid-60s. This is the highest scaling subject you have, and you seem to be doing fine at it (and we are fairly strong at it).

So those are the rough goals you need to work towards. In your past papers, if you are hitting those raw marks, then you are fine. Play to your strengths; chances are, business studies or modern history might not count. Let's say if you are quite good at Biology and hit 75 raw mark for it, then this could make up significantly for a lower performance in another subject.

You aren't doing as badly as you think. Go take a long walk when you have time, and realise that you have more than enough time to improve in these coming weeks.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Wait how are you allowed to do senior science and bio. I thought you couldnt do senior if you do one of the main three

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
LOL wut, same school.

Don't know who you are, but as long as you get high band 5/6 in those subjects you might be okay. But that general maths ranking needs to be a bit higher for a stable band 5. However i don't do your subjects so idk about the strength of our cohort. Since Mat wRong doesn't do general Maths, i guess you might need to pray that who ever is rank one will get 95+ for Gen Maths

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
Above 90% raw in HSC exams? Not enough? That's good enough for easy >90 ATAR.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Above 90% raw in HSC exams? Not enough? That's good enough for easy >90 ATAR.
I dont know though, the subject usually have poor aligning and not sure if OP is marking as strict as the HSC markers (esp for humanities which are subjective and mainly based on impression marking unless OP gives paper to school teacher to mark)

asian

HSC
thanks sida, by raw marks do you just mean out of 100 what i got or? because i know i am hitting above 70s for every subject in practice papers and i got my tutor to mark my papers for modern history and English and a peer to mark my business studies so they were marking truthfully.

asian

HSC
LOL wut, same school.

Don't know who you are, but as long as you get high band 5/6 in those subjects you might be okay. But that general maths ranking needs to be a bit higher for a stable band 5. However i don't do your subjects so idk about the strength of our cohort. Since Mat wRong doesn't do general Maths, i guess you might need to pray that who ever is rank one will get 95+ for Gen Maths
well jerry in all honesty generals top student is always hitting 90s+

Drsoccerball

HSC
Wait how are you allowed to do senior science and bio. I thought you couldnt do senior if you do one of the main three
If you're doing more than one science and you drop one of them you could pick up senior science. Even if you're not doing a science you can pick it up

sida1049

HSC
thanks sida, by raw marks do you just mean out of 100 what i got or? because i know i am hitting above 70s for every subject in practice papers and i got my tutor to mark my papers for modern history and English and a peer to mark my business studies so they were marking truthfully.
Raw marks as in percentage-wise. If you are hitting above 70% raw for your past papers, then you are hitting your mark (doesn't mean you should stop there though, we gotta drag our school rankings up :haha:). To be honest, don't worry too much about your ranks. No matter what you will always keep your external marks, which account for over 50% of your HSC, because your external marks also dictate your internal marks. So even if your ranks aren't pretty, your externals can significantly pull you well over what your seemingly projected ATAR is based on your ranks. Statistics dictate that a student can improve up to about 20% between their trials and their HSC, so you know, relax a bit.

School rankings mean barely anything. Our school ranks in the 90s (which is actually quite amazing for a public, non-selective school), and it honestly doesn't matter. Your external performance however, does, and you seem to be hitting your ATAR goal anyway.

asian

HSC
Thank you very much Sida <3 you are the best :) you are right we have to study even harder, we need to pull our school up in ranks! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
But op if your atar is around 80 then there should be no problem with your ranks maybe try and improve dat Maths?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)