More computer problems (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Its been on safe mode for the last 5 mins without trouble.... What may of caused this

timinator1993

HSC
It is the dv5 1138tx

I got it 3-4 years ago and it isn't under warranty

Edit it is hp
HP DV5 series are notorious for over heating, in fact in every country other than Aus the problem was so bad they were forced to provide additional warranty for this specific problem, sadly Aus was not included :/

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Just reformated I have ruled out it isn't software. (I was going to do it anyway I had to much clutter)

HSC
Go to the power options in the control panel ;
If you have Windows 7, on the side there should be a link saying "Choose when to turn off the display". Click it ;
From there, check the options for "Turn off the display" and adjust it to "never" (from the dropdown list)

Hopefully that works! :D :smile:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Go to the power options in the control panel ;
If you have Windows 7, on the side there should be a link saying "Choose when to turn off the display". Click it ;
From there, check the options for "Turn off the display" and adjust it to "never" (from the dropdown list)

Hopefully that works! :D :smile:
The display isnt off, its the backlighting on the laptops screen OHing..

Polwmao, its fucked, time to upgrade to a PC.

na110793

HSC
Strange.

Have you tried just leaving it there and draining the battery? or just connecting without the battery (power it on, leave the power cord in and remove battery, how long does that last?)

Can you get into bios without the screen going blank after 5 seconds? if you can it's probably an issue with windows and something may have been corrupted (happened to me, I went into bios, stayed on... used linux to boot up and back up my computer then re-formatted windows).

Try downloading puppy linux and running that and getting your important stuff off it, if it lets you boot longer than 5 seconds using it.

If not, it's probably a graphics card/some other hardware issue.
Mate, did that recently, puppy Linux I a lifesaver.

na110793

HSC
The display isnt off, its the backlighting on the laptops screen OHing..

Polwmao, its fucked, time to upgrade to a PC.
How useful has the support staff been from HP? Have they offered to held fix it (for a fee, I assume)?

willstylz

HSC
if your not desperate and dont move it around often I would just leave it on the tv or find/buy a spare monitor even a CRT which are cheap, even some smaller LCD's are pretty cheap these days

Its safe to rule out a software problem, I would ring HP and ask how much it would cost to repair, and then contact a local pc store and ask them to assess the damage and see how much they would charge,
just with HP or any big name company they will take ages to fix it, and would most prob charge you shi loads.

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf - 18.5 inch monitor for 89$ AOC for a temporary fix to your problem, if you are always moving your laptop.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I may just leave it connected to my tv.

Bit of a pain, I guess I will just use my stupid school metbook

At least the reformat got rid of alot of crap

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
its not worth fixing it via them
if you cant DIY then dont bother, buy a new laptop

3-4 years is a pretty damn old laptop. u should replace it
- those batteries have a fixed life, 3-4 years i think, costs $80
- your fan should be starting to fuck up too
- your computer should be slowing down

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Powl, my friend had a similar problem with his HP laptop a few weeks ago. He wasn't under warranty, but got it fixed at dicksmith for a few hundred. Then, he gave that to his dad and bought a new laptop :S.

I think yours might be a similar problem to his. Can you try folding the screen back? His one blanked out whenever the screen was folded back, but, it would remain okay if it was <90 degrees. If this applies to your problem, then it's definitely loose wiring. Not TOO expensive to fix, maybe like 200ish.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Powl, my friend had a similar problem with his HP laptop a few weeks ago. He wasn't under warranty, but got it fixed at dicksmith for a few hundred. Then, he gave that to his dad and bought a new laptop :S.

I think yours might be a similar problem to his. Can you try folding the screen back? His one blanked out whenever the screen was folded back, but, it would remain okay if it was <90 degrees. If this applies to your problem, then it's definitely loose wiring. Not TOO expensive to fix, maybe like 200ish.
My computer screen turns on at any angle, it is just the brightness goes after 20secs or so

There is no point getting it fix because that will cost a few hundred probably, just going to be cheaper buying another.

Will most likely just use my TV as a screen for now

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

I had the exact the same problem, except mine was still under warranty so they replaced the laptop with an entire new screen :D

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Lucky, it is a pain because sometimes the screen will last 5mins before it blanks out...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)