More HSC Qs (1 Viewer)

Husayn

Banned
HSC
Another one:

Fibre optic cable uses Snell's Law and a refractive index to transmit the data as light. The refractive index of the outer cladding is much higher than that of the inner cladding, causing the light to reflect internally and continiously along the inner path of the cable. A modulator converts the original electrical signal into light at the beginning of the path, and a demodulator re-converts the light signal into electricity at the end of the path.

Fibre Optics cables have replaced copper due to their ability to transmitt higher amounts of data. They are also cheaper, do not suffer from interference and are not a fire hazard.

fakingtheday

HSC
Good answer for fibre optics.

Lifting devices: good old medium carbon steel because it has reslience and adequate yield strength. These are tested using a tensometer test and by observing the area under the straight line section for reslience and the peak of the straightline section.

PimpPyro

"reslience"???

When you say "reslience" do you mean resilience? Also what exactly do you mean by this term, are you refering to the modulus of elasticity, that is stiffness?

fakingtheday

HSC
Yes i am; and no resilience is the ability of a material to withstand PLASTIC deformation and return to its normal state. I can't stress enough that it resists plastic/permanent deformation.

PimpPyro

Resiliance

Hmm so is resiliance is basically related to the proportional elastic limit, like the maximum stress that can be endured without plastic deformation. So higher resiliance the higher the proportional elastic limit.

fakingtheday

HSC
not neccessarily. Reslience is the area under the straight line section. You can have something that endures a huge load but if it won't extend you don't have a resilient material.

PimpPyro

Ahh okay.

Yep I am with you. So it is basically toughness withing the proportional elastic limit so to put it...

PimpPyro

What!

WTF?!?!! Your last exam is 2 unit maths I am guessing? What the heck do you do? What subjects, my last is physics on the 4th

fakingtheday

HSC
PimpPyro said:
WTF?!?!! Your last exam is 2 unit maths I am guessing? What the heck do you do? What subjects, my last is physics on the 4th
Last exam is General Maths, i dropped from 2U but i knew all the maths for Engineering luckily anyway. English Adv. Geo, Engo, D&T. Best. TimeTable. Evar.

Husayn

Banned
HSC
OK another one:

Steel - Strong tensile and compressive strengths. It is however susceptible to corrosion, although if treated properly this can be mostly avoided.

Hardwood - Strong in tension/compression. Susceptible to insect attack/decay - but if treated properly this can be mostly avoided. Can catch fire.

Reinforced Concrete - Appropriate tensile/compressive strengths. Susceptible to concrete cancer - and once this begins it is difficult if not impossible to stop. Porosity perhaps (due to imperfect concrete pour!?!).

PimpPyro

Wood?!?!? + Electrical conductivity

I have read that wood is relatively weak in compression because the wood fibres buckle... Anyone else concur? Also you could mention about the conductivity of the different materials, we are walking about electricity here. Especially in high power transmissions and acting as lightning rods (protecting the cables)

Last edited:

Husayn

Banned
HSC
Well, wood is used for power poles is it not?

Wood is good in compression, although I suppose it depends what type of wood. I just assumed that hardwood is good in compression.

And yeah conductivity is good, steel wouldn't be useful as a power pole because it might go live.

PimpPyro

Do you find that the papers get cruddier the furthur you go back?

Is it just me or does it seem that comparing 2004 to 2001, 2001 is quite a bit more difficult, and the questions are about context that seems to be dissimilar to what you have been studying?

Husayn

Banned
HSC
You should look at the 2002 exam, THAT is what you call difficult.....

Husayn

Banned
HSC
Also for the engineering report.

Tapering!?! Something to do with distributing the loads evenly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)