• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

more important - rank or mark?? (2 Viewers)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
If you have a shit mark, but you're ranked outright first internally, I'd say you're in the best position you could possibly be!

Sonata

HSC
^
seconded
ur marks will determine ur ranks in ur class

williamc

HSC
^ both idiots.

All that matters up until the HSC exams is your rank.

Who gives a shit what your mark is if you are ranked first. (and yes even if you are at a shit school)

Rank 1st with shithouse marks and kill the HSC exams you can get 100 UAI.

Also people who say marks indicate level of knowledge of course are also idiots. different schools set differing levels of exam difficulty, and mark at different standards.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
R A N K (for the reasons stated by williamc)

Last edited:
HSC
Thats kinda true, i'm at a small school 14 in year 12 now lol... funny even typing it... Neway, i got first in my HSC chem assesment and was ranked 1st out of 4... (85% so not 2 bad...) When the exam came i hadn't put the effort in and i didnt do anywhere near aswel as i could've. I got 75% in the chem exam my mistake...
I was confused when i received my results looking at 75/78=77 HSC MARK.
I asked some one to explain where i got this mark from and they told me that the HSC EXAM MARKS and ranked from 1st to last (but 4th in my case) and my cohorts marks being 78%(1st), 77%(2nd) ,75%(3rd), 66%(4th). Because i was ranked 1st in the HSC ASSESSMENT i received the top mark in the exam as my HSC ASSESSMENT MARK.
So your school and cohort really comes into play when receiving a good HSC ASSESSMENT MARK.
I hope this made sense.
P.S. Rank is good if your great at exams or are in a large cohort. The smaller the cohort the harder, i believe, to really get HIGH marks but then again the smaller the classes the more "1 on 1" time you receive. But in perspective your effort dicates how well you will do so don't have any regrets...like some knob :).
Cheers.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Lets forget that your external marks determine the value of your ranks and post stupid shit like:

gm.haider3000 said:
hey.. you mark is more important screw your rank.. rank is notthing .. don't ever compare your rank with your class thats notthing .. because your competiting against the whole state.. soo what if you came first with a mark of 96% other people in the other school in the same subject might get higher than yours.. as they say 50% of your school work and 50% of the HSC exam .. If I were you try to get 90% in all your subjects and from those 90%.. 50% of your school work would be a piece of cake Hmmmmmmm.. Rank is notthing Mark is Something ...
Knowingnothing said:
Obviously mark is very important but rank should just be used as a general idea of how you're doing. Anything under 80 (Band 5) and being ranked first isn't exactly something you would pride yourself over.

Don't pride yourself on rank. You could get getting 60% and coming first...so? Best possible thing you can do is score the highest mark possible.
Internally: RANK
Externally: MARK

If you are the only person in your class. You are ranked first and your assessment mark can only be as high as your external mark. If you do shit in that external mark, your rank is just as shit.

One means nothing without the other.

studymon

Happy Member
HSC
I think BOTH.
Rank is just as important as your mark. Its also really important that for the actual HSC exam your fellow school mates perform as well, if not better, than you.

nrs1990

HSC
What matters isn't the mark you get, it's how the mark compares to everyone else. I got 89% in three straight maths assessments for my 2 unit HSC... But my rank differed greatly between them - from 71st to around 30th. What matters is the rank. The mark only matters so far as it compares with those of others at your school.

In the HSC exam, though, it's the mark that matters. They standardise the internal marks depending upon how people from your school do in the HSC.

Zephyrio

HSC
Rank for internals.
Mark for externals.

End of discussion.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)