More log help (1 Viewer)

Avenger6

HSC
Hi guys, i need some more help with logs and deriving them and stuff. Two questions I struggled with are below, I can get the first derivative for question 9 but am unsure of how I would get the second derivative and make it equal zero ect. And i'm completly lost on question 10 as far as making lnx/x =0 to find the stationary point.

Help greatly appreciated :D.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Avenger6 said:
Hi guys, i need some more help with logs and deriving them and stuff. Two questions I struggled with are below, I can get the first derivative for question 9 but am unsure of how I would get the second derivative and make it equal zero ect. And i'm completly lost on question 10 as far as making lnx/x =0 to find the stationary point.

Help greatly appreciated :D.
9)
dy/dx = x . 1/x + ln x . 1 - 2x
= 1 + ln x - 2x
d^2y/dx^2 = 1/x - 2

Point of inflection occurs when the d^2y/dx^2 = 0.
i.e. 1/x -2 = 0
Therefore, x = 1/2

When x < 1/2, dy/dx > 0
When x > 1/2, dy/dx < 0

Therefore, there is a point of inflection at x = 1/2
Substitute x = 1/2 to find the corresponding y-value.

10)

dy/dx = (x . 1/x - ln x .1)/x^2
= 1- ln x/x^2
Stationary point occurs when dy/dx = 0.
i.e. when 1 - ln x = 0
1= ln x
Therefore, x = e

When x < e, dy/dx > 0
When x > e, dy/dx < 0
Therefore, there is a local maximum point when x = e.
Substitute x = e to find the corresponding y-value.

EDIT: I may have introduced some mistakes in my working out as I worked out at extremely quick pace. Sorry if I made any mistake but I am quite sure I got it right.

Last edited:

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
lyounamu said:
9)
dy/dx = x . 1/x + ln x . 1 - 2x
= 1 + ln x - 2x
d^2y/dx^2 = 1/x - 2

Point of inflection occurs when the d^2y/dx^2 = 0.
i.e. 1/x -2 = 0
Therefore, x = 1/2

When x < 1/2, dy/dx > 0
When x > 1/2, dy/dx < 0

Therefore, there is a point of inflection at x = 1/2
Substitute x = 1/2 to find the corresponding y-value.
You tested the second derivative there, better just change it so the OP understands.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Mark576 said:
You tested the second derivative there, better just change it so the OP understands.
Thanks. Greatly appreciate your help. :D :D :D

EDIT: Are you asking me to remove that line? I am sorry I didn't fully comprehend that.

Last edited:

Avenger6

HSC
Sorry guys, im still a little confused as to how you got the first derivative. In question 9 for example i would have though the first derivative would have been y'=1.(1/x)-2x because you derive the log... Could you explain where I am going wrong?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Avenger6 said:
Sorry guys, im still a little confused as to how you got the first derivative. In question 9 for example i would have though the first derivative would have been y'=1.(1/x)-2x because you derive the log... Could you explain where I am going wrong?
y=xlnx -x^2

differentiating using product rule because x.lnx is a product of x and lnx

u=x
u'=1
v=lnx
v'=1/x

dy/dx = u'v+uv' - d/dx (x^2)
dy/dx = 1.(lnx) +x.x - 2x
dy/dx = 1.(lnx) + 1 -2x

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Avenger6 said:
For question 9, you should use the product rule for the xlnx.

Which means that you will get x . 1/x + lnx . 1 - 2x = 1 + lnx -2x

Avenger6

HSC
Of course, why didn't i think of that lol. Now my problem lies in how you made y''=0 as when I use x=1/2 in the eqauation 1/x-2 i don't get 0 as an answer :S?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Avenger6 said:
Of course, why didn't i think of that lol. Now my problem lies in how you made y''=0 as when I use x=1/2 in the eqauation 1/x-2 i don't get 0 as an answer :S?
y'= (lnx) + 1 -2x
y''=(1/x) -2

at y''=0

0=(1/x) -2
2=1/x
2x=1
x=1/2

You find the x by letting y'' =0

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited:

Avenger6

HSC
Ahk, i misread the equation thats why i didn't understand i though it read 1/(x-2)=0. Anyway this is my final question, howcome in question 10 it stated that 1 - ln x = 0 shouldn't it read (1-lnx)/x^2=0??? And with regard to determing its nature, how do you test for numbers below and above e...what is the numerical value for e?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Avenger6 said:
Ahk, i misread the equation thats why i didn't understand i though it read 1/(x-2)=0. Anyway this is my final question, howcome in question 10 it stated that 1 - ln x = 0 shouldn't it read (1-lnx)/x^2=0??? And with regard to determing its nature, how do you test for numbers below and above e...what is the numerical value for e?
good question. I was wondering about that myself...

e is a constant. type it into your calculator, or google it. it's irrational. so it goes on forever.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Avenger6 said:
The reason why you test the numbers beside e is to determine what the gradient is beside the stationary point at x = e.

You do not really need to know the numerical value for e (on top of my head, it's around 2.71), you can just use e+1 and e-1.

Also, when testing numbers beside a stationary point to determine it's nature, test numbers close to it.

Another tip I can give you is say, a graph has a stationary point at x = 1 and x = 2

For testing the nature of x = 1, you should use x = 0 and x = 0.5, as if you use 2, the result will be 0, thus making it utterly useless as to what type of stationary point it is. For x = 2, you can use the result of x = 0.5 for testing the point at x = 2, as the result isn't 0 gradient.

Sorry if it seems confusing, if you have any other questions I'll try to clarify as best as I can.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Avenger6 said:
It's easy. Just type in e to the power of 1 in your calculator. You will see that e = 2.71828182...
It is true that (1-lnx)/x^2=0 but you disregard that x^2 because you don't want it to be 0 as it will make the whole fraction undefined. You just want to find the point that would make it 0 (i.e. 1-lnx = 0).

EDIT: Above post is quite smart. I like that. You should take his advice over mine.

Last edited:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
oh i see now. I was wondering about why 1- lnx/x^2=0 became 1-lnx=0! It's (1-lnx)/x^2=0. lol, i should have realised that sooner. :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
oh i see now. I was wondering about why 1- lnx/x^2=0 became 1-lnx=0! It's (1-lnx)/x^2=0. lol, i should have realised that sooner. :D
Sorry about that. I was quite vague in what I was trying to represent.

Avenger6

HSC
All makes sense now and ended up being the right answer which is always a good sign lol. Thanks for all the help.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Avenger6 said:
All makes sense now and ended up being the right answer which is always a good sign lol. Thanks for all the help.
I wish my little help contributed to your understanding. Good luck in your further studies!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)