More SDD questions (1 Viewer)

Morgues

1. What are some disadvantages of CASE tools?
2. Represent a prototype approach using a flowchart mentioning the use of RAD

sunny

meh.
HSC
I'm lazy so I'll do #1 :D

All I can think of is that its got some of the same reasons as a client implementing new software:

1. extra cost involved in getting the CASE tool.
2. extra training needed to get employees to use the CASE tool.

pulse

meh

case tools suck some serious ass.

well to start with they are made by companies such as microsoft. this comes in the form of VB.
- code is large
- code is huge
- code is slow
- if they did something wrong with the code you can NEVER fix it
- runs on almost no platforms. only specifically the one you use.
- you cant optimise anything because everything is created to be reused
- sometimes draw apon .dlls that only ppl with the case tool have installed on their machines
- "good" ones automatically optimise code for the machine they are on. therefore if you have a voodoo 9 and move to a machine with a standard integrated video card you program runs gay.

del

HSC
N/A
we talking about VB here or CASE tools?

package..the dlls in the setup

sunny

meh.
HSC
pulse by CASE tools I think we mean programs that do test data generation, version keeping, documentation generation, source repository, etc....not entire programming languages, IDEs or ICASEs.

But as for your comment about VB....

- the VB compiler does not make large files. This only happens if you're stupid enough to use P&W wizard

- yes, comparatively compiled VB code is slower than languages like C. However the extra nanosecond of processing won't really hurt unless you are writing high end graphics apps, in which case you wouldn't be using VB anyway.

- VB doesn't generate code, so it doesn't generate code you can't fix.

- True its limited to the Windows platforms (at least a whole 6 of them), but it is the dominant os.

- Everything can be created to be reused in VB. And if you can't optimise it, it means theres something wrong in your fundamental designs. Fully OO languages like C++ and especially Java based solely on using and reusing classes.

- like del said, package the DLLs

- what compiler only optimise the code for the machine they are on?? If the program was compiled to run on a machine with a voodoo 9 as a system requirement then its the user's fault for putting it on a machine with a standard integrated video and expecting it to work.

Morgues

Anyone willing to just verbally describe number 2?

Is RAD implemented in prototypes in the sense that if a user doesn't like the initial prototype you can build a similar one using existing code (in the initial prototype) through RAD?

Also whats involved in prototyping..............isnt it basically just designing and then modifying a prototype through a loop until the user approves?

del

HSC
N/A
Two types of prototyping, evolutionary and throwaway....

evolutionary is where you keep on refining the prototype till you get to a final working solution...(what was said)

throwaway... use it to better understand client's needs and requirements......then throw it away... or of couse....the project is stopped.

blah

I am blah
HSC
would MS Word be considered a CASE tool?

coz u could use it to speed up the process of designing system diagrams with its templates, and you can also produce data dictionaries and other documentations

do0d

yes
CASE is pretty much any application that speeds up any process
some are more helpful while others arent but nonetheless are considered CASE

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by Morgues
1. What are some disadvantages of CASE tools?
2. Represent a prototype approach using a flowchart mentioning the use of RAD
For 1., as well as what everybody else said above, you could also mention that CASE tools aren't solution-specific; that is, they were made as generally as possible (so that companies can make as much moolah as possible). And I can't remember if it was said but you have to train people to use CASE tools. This is coming off the top of my head so you may have to rephrase. :)

and for 2., if the type of prototype isn't mentioned I'd stick to the limited (the non-evolutionary) method 'cuz it's simpler :) Identify the end-user's needs, make the prototype using RAD, show it to the client, and then if it doesn't require changes build the actual product. depending on time constraints you could either do that using RAD or the structured approach, methinks.

Then again - what sort of cases is RAD used in?

in SDD sense, CASE tool requires more advanced information technology and requires more knowledged participants/ developers who are able to successfully utilise the tools become available by fellow developer.

In the real world. The CASE tool doesn't have a disadvantage. its a tool u use it when ever u need it. What disadvantage can i have?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Already mentioned:

- you need to buy it before you can use it, if developing large DB applications where alot of test data is needed and doing it by hand is silly this might affect budgetary sense of the feasibility study

- there are trillions of CASE tools, even programmers need to be taught or trained to use a CASE tool they've never used before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)