Most effective way to lose weight (1 Viewer)

efhat

HSC
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the most effective way to lose weight using the gym. What is better, cardio or weights or both? Which machines are best to use etc.
Right now im doing about 30mins cardio and 30 mins of various weights almost every day.
Thanks!!

zxascsdvre

Esaxlo
HSC
doin weights wont make u lose weight, cardio will
bikes probly the best for weight loss

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Exercise combined with a healthy balanced diet (you don't need to diet per se but just eat reasonably healthy) it will not work as well if your diet is crap. Make sure you do some strength training in addition to cardio to ensure your skin remains taught when you lose the weight

friction

HSC
Cardio will only make you burn kilojoules while you are doing the cardio however if you do weights it increases your metabolism making you burn wieght all through the day and even when your sleeping. So i would say you need a combination of all 3 diet cardio and weights is the most effective way to lose weigth.

efhat

HSC
John Oliver said:
Actually doing weights will help with weight loss because it substantially increases your BMR.

The combination you have is pretty good, but keep in mind that you'll need to do intervals with your cardio to maximise your energy burn
oh awesome im glad im on the right track.

John oliver dont wanna sound dumb lol but what's BMR stand for? and what do you mean by cardio intervals?

also is doing weights everyday too much? should i only do it every second day?

efhat

HSC
Oh ok i understand thanks for that. I use the fat burner setting on the equipment which is set to 15 second alternating intervals so that should be ok.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
friction said:
Cardio will only make you burn kilojoules while you are doing the cardio however if you do weights it increases your metabolism making you burn wieght all through the day and even when your sleeping. So i would say you need a combination of all 3 diet cardio and weights is the most effective way to lose weigth.
QFT.

Combine cardio, diet and weight training.

Aim at doing cardio in the morning, before you eat, then you burn straight up fat.

Then do your weight training in the afternoon.

HSC
Starving yourself won't help, your body goes into hoarde mode and metabolism slows down.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Weights + Cardio + Healthy Diet (don't eat at MacDonalds or other fast food stores, or otherwise limit your intake of healthy foods. Also note that some 'fats' actually stimulate fat breakdown, such as those found in avocado, coconut and chili). Don't starve yourself or, as has been indicated above, your basal metabolic rate will decrease, your appetite will increase and your body will hold onto fat stores (with this constellation sometimes being called the 'famine reaction').

You're allowed to eat when your hungry - in fact, doing so seems to be able to stave off the aforementioned famine reation. Just make sure that you eat modest portions of healthy foods, and perhaps also eat at a casual pace so that your stomach has time to distend and say "hey, I'm satisfied".

Also, on Cardio: some research done at UNSW (see media article) suggests that a bicycle training method in which you alternate between sprinting and cool down periods appears to be quite effective for losing weight.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Take in less kilojoules than your daily energy requirements suggest.

Edit: And that doesn't mean not eating. eat healthily but exercise a shitload more.

cxlxoxk

HSC
I disagree with Riet...simply because i like to disagree with him...

His post does not take into account metabolic rates...

My answer:

Eat healthily, exercise, try to improve metabolism. Once you've improved your metabolism, you are allowed to eat a bit more, but in accordance to your levels of excercise, and levels of metabolism, but never eat more than what your levels of excercise and metabolism can do to break the food down, as in that case, you will begin to gain weight, as any stored energy, not used, will turn to fats.

Last edited:
HSC
Ok... if you want to lose weight I will give you some advice.

In order to lose weight for life you have to re-set your thinking.... see a constant weight battle is due to instant gratification vs the desire to be 'thin'. If you look at Oprah.... she has been struggling with this her whole life!

The only way that you can 'lose weight' is forget that you have to lose anything - the more you want it....the more stress you add and the harder and more FRUSTRATING it becomes. Try the following.... it works!

One rule is to truly love and respect yourself and your body. Realize that by adding good food into yourself you are respecting yourself. Do you want to be healthy? Or you want to die of heart problems or cancer? Do you want energy and life.... or do you want to feel heavy and uncomfortable?

I have made decisions (you should too) that I will only consume foods that will enhance my health. I can eat as much healthy food as I want and when I want. There are no restrictions. Sometimes I eat a whole plate of fruit (500g of cherries, 1 mango, 1 orange, 250g of strawberries)... just for breakfast!

I make sure I am actually hungry when I eat - not just because its breakfast or 1.30pm etc.

I also make sure that my food isn't mixed too much.... like carbs and proteins should NEVER be mixed! For example fish and chips.... or meat and rice (potatos). This is very important as your digestive system has different enzymes for breaking proteins up and carbs. Sadly most of our western diet is HORRIBLE in food mixing.

I make sure I eat alkalizing foods - when a food breaks down it causes an alkaline or acidic substance to form in your body. Acidic is BAD it makes you keep fat on your body since fat helps 'buffer' acid away from the bloodstream. Alkaline products are good - they keep your blood healthy. Check out the pH 'diet'.

Finally I eat fat :) by this I mean healthy fats. People omit fat so much.... the right fats can make you 'skinny'!.... the reason for this is that the body becomes more sensitive to fat and therefore holds on to it more. Therefore if you consume fat from walnuts, linseed, salmon, almonds, olive oil and Udo's oil .... your digestive system will be 'well lubricated' which helps you excrete food more efficiently and therefore eliminate toxin build up.

Anyway I could go on for hours.... I hope this will help though.

PS; Although I eat anything I want I am 183cm and 66.5kg I used to be 81.5kg!

Last edited:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I don't get this whole thing about your body going into starvation mode and not losing weight. Maybe it plateaus for a while, but after that you keep on losing it. At least for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)