Most effective way to take notes during a lecture - Tips? ARTS STUDENTS (1 Viewer)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone!

I am currently in year 12 and starting next week (Tues) I am undertaking a six-credit point university course as part of a holiday program that encompasses the idea of belonging. Once completed, it counts as a subject towards a Bachelor of Arts. It is made up of a series of lectures, tutorials and master classes over four days.

I am a bit concerned, as this is all new to me how it will all work. In particular:
- How do you structure your notes? Best way to make notes?
- How do lectures and tutorials work? What happens throughout?
-Would you recommend getting the recordings [of the lecture] afterwards and making my own summaries?

Nevertheless, I am excited :) Thanks in advance!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Hi everyone!

I am currently in year 12 and starting next week (Tues) I am undertaking a six-credit point university course as part of a holiday program that encompasses the idea of belonging. Once completed, it counts as a subject towards a Bachelor of Arts. It is made up of a series of lectures, tutorials and master classes over four days.

I am a bit concerned, as this is all new to me how it will all work. In particular:
-Would you recommend getting the recordings [of the lecture] afterwards and making my own summaries?

Oh god

P.S: sorry, I can't help you

NWO

HSC
year 12 and you are undertaking a uni course? Sometimes in order to absorb as much information as possible, is simply just listen.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi everyone!

So I'm guessing you want these questions answered in relation to what you'd expect from an average Bachelor of Arts course.

For structure:

The lecture is structured, so you should structure your notes the way the lecturer structures the lecture. I'm a wall of text person, so my notes are basically all in dot point form.

Other people in my lectures record notes on laptops, I bring a book - this makes it easier to structure the notes in terms of topics or sections that are dealt with in the lecture, but if your lecturer is decent, they'll break off sections clearly for you.

Lectures and tutes:

Lectures are where information is umm... lectured to you, also announcements and stuff will also be mentioned here usually (this can happen in tutes too though).

Tutorials are like the classroom where you're in a smaller room of around 15-20 people and you go through questions, discuss things and small groups, etc. Depends what subject you're doing, some tutes I've been in are heavily focused on class participation, at other times, it's just another mini-lecture of sorts.

Recordings:

Depends what course you're doing. Usually, no - because you should be at said lecture to take in all the important points anyway. The only time I'll listen to a lecture again via recording is if I'm doing an assignment that concerns that lecture and there are some tidbits I may have missed during lecture, pretty much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)