• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Most hated team in the NRL? (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
last year that was certainly the case, but this year sticky has gone with a bit more youth.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
blackfriday,

While it certainly is the case that the Roosters are using more players from Premier League this year, the fact remains that these players have been taken from other clubs anyway.

Think who the Roosters' biggest young prospect is, and everyone will say Jamie Soward. Now, he's come up through JF, PL and now FG at the Roosters. However, he is a Canberra junior. In last year's JF grand final, the two most destructive players for the Roosters were Soward and Moke. Moke comes from Canterbury, from memory.

The final nail in the coffin lies in this statement:

Of the Roosters' top 17, the ONLY player who has been a Rooster his whole life is Luke Ricketson.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i'll repeat this from before: development of a player dont stop at the juniors. of course we have the lowest number of juniors in our team because of our inner metropolitan location. we only hvae 3 teams to blood from. we rarely buy a finished product - the 2 signings this year being exceptions. the nucleus of the team in the last few years was brought through - yes devoped - the jersey flegg and premier league teams.

its simple a supply and demand situation.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
i'll repeat this from before: development of a player dont stop at the juniors. of course we have the lowest number of juniors in our team because of our inner metropolitan location. we only hvae 3 teams to blood from. we rarely buy a finished product - the 2 signings this year being exceptions. the nucleus of the team in the last few years was brought through - yes devoped - the jersey flegg and premier league teams.

You are correct. Development doens't stop at the juniors. The richest clubs are able to buy the best juniors and spend big on their development. This is why Roosters and Eels are consistently near the top of the lower grades and the Broncos are always bringing through 'amazing prospects' a la Costigan, Barnes, Bott, Learoyd-Lahrs...the list goes on, and that's practically only for this season.

Anasta, Harrison, Roberts, Monaghan, Walker, Hodges, Fitzgibbon... shall I go on? Hell, even Brad Fittler was in his 20s when he came to the Roosters. Most of his development had been completed at the base of the mountains.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:

as I said earlier, I know of a few guys who play for the Roosters Jersey Flegg who are Canterbury juniors. These guys didnt need "developing" because they were just natural talents. They could've got the same development at other clubs (maybe even better). So choosing the best juiniors to "develop" doesnt count as one of your own

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
So you don't understand why everyone in the NRL hates the Broncos?

Well, anyone who was in the former ARL...

As a Dragons fan there are extra incentives (92 and 93), but surely almost every person who follows league and at least knows a little bit of its recent history should feel animosity towards that club.

If you STILL don't understand what I'm getting at, think Super League War.... perhaps that will guide you down the right path --- the path which is "Hating the Brisbane Drongos"

Random_87

HSC
N/A
Furthermore, they are from Qld, therefore most blues supporters will hate the broncos. The reason the cowboys aern't hated too, is because for so long they were easy beats, so they still have the underdog tag, and most aussies will root for the underdog. However that tag is being tarnished as they get better, and it got a strong boost in a negative direction when they picked up Carl Webb. I cant stand him. I recognise he is a very good player, i just think hes a thug and an ass hole, like many leaugies..... ohwell, thats my two cents to the "why are the broncos so hated?" question.

j_davo24

HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:

Souths have an "inner metroplitan" location and they use thier own juniors. Granted they also buy players, but all clubs do.

Also, on the original topic

Roosters
Broncos
Bulldogs fans

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
So you don't understand why everyone in the NRL hates the Broncos?

Well, anyone who was in the former ARL...

As a Dragons fan there are extra incentives (92 and 93), but surely almost every person who follows league and at least knows a little bit of its recent history should feel animosity towards that club.

If you STILL don't understand what I'm getting at, think Super League War.... perhaps that will guide you down the right path --- the path which is "Hating the Brisbane Drongos"
Hahaha, Dragonz
I remember the super league war and I'm well aware of what happened but still I support them. Sure they're a bunch dickheads but you get that. I wish they'll bring back the Bears coz I'd follow them and not the Broncos. You know I think of a few not so good things about your Dragons *JOKE*.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Hehe, well you support them, so it's alright then.

I didn't know that... like, if you were a supporter of another team but you defended Brisbane, I'd think you were crazy.

Sorry for the accusations :D

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
That's ok everybody makes mistakes, so if i were a Tigers fan but defened them, why would you consider me crazy?

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Possibly because their actions involving the Super League War almost tore the then ARL apart at its seams.

Their huge desire to raise profitability resulted in far-reaching and devastating consequences for the game of rugby league.

There's no point going into much more depth about that time.

Other reasons are that New South Welshman love to hate Brisbane cuz they are Queenslanders. Also, with practically a whole state to choose from, they are always going to be more successful than the average NRL club.

If you happened to support the Dragons, you would hate them for 1992 and 1993. You would also dislike them for taking Gordon Tallis, but despise them for stealing Anthony Mundine.

If you support the Roosters, you would hate them for 2000.

And so on and so forth.

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
Super league from what i heard was nothing but a joke but they were just getting greedy.

To be honest i not too keen in NRL, it's all for the money. Should go back to we it wasn't a professional sport (the days when my grandfather played for Norths).

This might sound dumb to you but I try to judge a team not by it's history but by skill and sportsmanship of the players.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
If you happened to support the Dragons, you would hate them for 1992 and 1993. You would also dislike them for taking Gordon Tallis, but despise them for stealing Anthony Mundine.

If you support the Roosters, you would hate them for 2000.

And so on and so forth.
What would be a reason to hate Cronulla DRAGONZ? Do they have one? ( this is a series question, not a "hahaha my team is perfect thing").

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
white lady said:
Super league from what i heard was nothing but a joke but they were just getting greedy.

To be honest i not too keen in NRL, it's all for the money. Should go back to we it wasn't a professional sport (the days when my grandfather played for Norths).

This might sound dumb to you but I try to judge a team not by it's history but by skill and sportsmanship of the players.
Your grandpa played for the Bears? That's SO awesome!

And yeah, you are right. Rugby league is about serving commercial interests today, both for the club and the player. Gone are the days when you played for the team in the local area. The players would play for the jersey.

Oh well. Those times left a long, long time ago.

Random_87 said:
What would be a reason to hate Cronulla DRAGONZ? Do they have one? ( this is a series question, not a "hahaha my team is perfect thing").
Hehe. Well... the Sharks...

"38 years and won f*ck all
Sharkies, Sharkies
38 years and won f*ck all
Sharkies is their name"

So on that account, there is nothing to hate you for.

However, the fact that you are Cronulla-Sutherland and we 'were' St George means that it is the local derby. So for that, the Dragons hate the Sharks intensely.

But in terems of the rest of the NRL, I don't really think there's too much to hate you for. Of course, the Sharks went to Super League, and that was profit-driven. They weren't the major proponents of the idea, however, so I wouldn't say too many people are dirty at them for what they did.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
However, the fact that you are Cronulla-Sutherland and we 'were' St George means that it is the local derby. So for that, the Dragons hate the Sharks intensely.
Hahaha, I love the rivalry! And make no mistake about it, we will win the next game, fourth time lucky i guess. Cos i think we have lost the last 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)