Most prestigious degrees? (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I know prestige doesn't matter one bit, as degrees are basically the same across all Universities.
Really? So a degree from Princeton is basically the same as one from the U of Western Sydney!

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Yeah there's not much talk of it here in Australia but America is a ripe example where prestige is actually a very important factor to get into the bigger multinationals - It's a bit of a cycle there - basically alumni is a big thing and can really help you get through the door , not to mention prestige usually hails from overall better faculties and teaching/curriculum.

Over here you got lecturers and tutors working for 3-4 different uni's at once so generally the teaching will be similar thus the difference is much more narrow.

I agree on the basis that really university isn't that important apart from requirements for post-grad qualifications (that enoil already mentioned), rather the experience is what is ultimately more valued these days as well as the overall package.

I do argue though that the top universities have more opportunities to gain work experience and ECs though, which does help in the short-term for getting that first internship/grad job to kickstart your career.

enoilgam

HSC
I do argue though that the top universities have more opportunities to gain work experience and ECs though, which does help in the short-term for getting that first internship/grad job to kickstart your career.
Definitely agree with this - you will find that a lot of the top firms concentrate their recruitment campaigns and university engagement at the bigger unis. This isnt due to prestige, but largely due to the huge talent pool these unis offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)