Most treasured book... (1 Viewer)

stressed monkie

im a random
Originally posted by fi_babezy
willow tree and olive
irini savvidies who wrote that book was my english teacher, but her second book kinda sucked, im into biographies so my favourite would have to be mao's last dancer by Li Cunxin

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I think my most treasured books would be the Obernewtyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody... or possibly Greylands, also by Isobelle Carmody, not because it's a great book, but because she signed it

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I studied Bridge To Terabithia - Katherine Paterson in year 8 it made me cry and it has stuck with me every since.. my english teacher at the time actually went and bought me a copy cause i enjoyed it so much

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell
Portrait of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
A Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
and
Harry Potter! I'm a hardcore fan....

Originally posted by chepas
Yes!!! I'm only up to about 1/5th of the way through though, French teacher really recommended it and so far it's really sort of, intriguing - the view of the adults about kids and the adults outlook on the world - so true... Antoine de Saint-Exupry is the name of the author :)
J'adore le petit prince!

Mini

relax
HSC
Originally posted by stressed monkie
irini savvidies who wrote that book was my english teacher, but her second book kinda sucked, im into biographies so my favourite would have to be mao's last dancer by Li Cunxin
she was my english teacher too... do i know you?
... i loved willow tree - couldn't be bothered with sky legs

Originally posted by cyanide
my favourist book of all time is a kid's book.
my most 'treasured' books are kids books too,
i love most of roald dahl's stuff (BFG, Witches, Matilda)
and Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series - i am such a child - but memories are 'treasures', are they not?

Fido

lol... i've been reading this whole thread waiting for enid blyton to come up. i loved all her books when i was little. but my ABSOLUTE favourite books of all time are my big illustrated The Magic Faraway Tree books. *sigh* i love them sooooo much, my dad used to read them to me, and they got me into reading. also, The Endless Steppe, by Esther Hautzig, is a really moving book. Can highly recommend it

OMG! i almost forgot Goodnight Mister Tom! makes me cry EVERY time. damn i love that book.

Collin

HSC
N/A
The Phantom Tollbooth (yeah i know it's kinda kiddyish.. but I can't get over it) lol

400miles

'Checkers' by John Marsden is my favourite book of all time... I have this hardcopy that he gave me when I went to his writing camp and it's in such good condition... sigh i love that book...

Also The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver is another favourite but not really up in my Marsden league

Leap

free falling
HSC
Originally posted by Fido
lol... i've been reading this whole thread waiting for enid blyton to come up. i loved all her books when i was little. but my ABSOLUTE favourite books of all time are my big illustrated The Magic Faraway Tree books. *sigh* i love them sooooo much, my dad used to read them to me, and they got me into reading.
My Mum used to read those to my brother and I when we were really little, I loved those books, especially Moon face and the slide thingy that he had that went down the middle of the tree!

Originally posted by 400miles
'Checkers' by John Marsden is my favourite book of all time... I have this hardcopy that he gave me when I went to his writing camp and it's in such good condition... sigh i love that book...
I've just finished reading that! Its so sad, or at least I thought so! I read the whole thing at once because I couldn't put it down.

Originally posted by untying_average
Blueback - Tim Winton
Thats the one with the fish, right? I think I have a copy of that somewhere - i remember reading it a few years and thinking it was quite good, I'll have to re-read.

Anyway, I bet no-ones ever heard of them, but when I was about 10 year old my absolute favourite books were The Silver Brumby series by Elyne Mitchell. They're about wild horses in the snowy mountains, I was completely obsessed with them for about 3 years.

Then I discovered Lord of the rings when I was 13 and of course, that has to be my favourite book of all time.

I also loved books by Rosemary Sutcliffe when I was about 13 or 14, she wrote historical fiction -which I've never been interested in before or since- but her books were for younger readers. There was one called The Road to Camlann that I was obsessed with, It was one of those books about King Arthur, and at the time I actually thought that it had some basis in fact, and I was absolutely gutted when I discovered that King Arthur was really only mythological.

Then theres a series of books called The Dark is Rising, by Susan Cooper. I think I was about 13 or 14 when I read them too and they're definitely books that I'd treasure. Except for the first book in the series, Over Sea and Under Stone, that one was crap.

And of course I -love- The Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones.

I also have to mention a book called The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner, I absolutely love that book, but I don't have a copy of it so I have to keep borrowing it from the library.

Oh and recently I read a book called Saving Grace by Alyssa Brugman. Its a really fantastic book, one I felt I could really relate to. I actually went and e-mailed the author after reading it and she wrote back to me straight away, which was great.

oh my god..I am such a nerd.

Last edited:

400miles

Originally posted by Leap
I've just finished reading that! Its so sad, or at least I thought so! I read the whole thing at once because I couldn't put it down.
I soooo agree with that... It's one of the most depressing books I have.. that last paragraph kills me each time..

saves.the.day

HSC
Originally posted by 400miles
I soooo agree with that... It's one of the most depressing books I have.. that last paragraph kills me each time..
Checkers by Marsden? I think I'll check that book out now. It sounds pretty good.

I used to be a big fan of Marsden, because of his "Tomorrow when the war began" series which I read through highschool. I loved every single book of that series. I think he's an excellent writter of novels for teens.

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
... Difficult. Saga of the Exiles by Julian May was pretty good (sci-fant series). Recently read Hitchhikers' Guide by Douglas Adams - that cracked me up. :) Most used would be my Random House Japanese-English/English-Japanese Dictionary, which has gone walkabout...

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
the book thief by markus zusak!
i was overly inspired and emotional by the end of that book... i half considered writing to the author telling him just how great it was haha. i looooove it.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Uhm my most treasured book (that I own) is...
"The Dickens Digest" (containing David Copperfield, Oliver Twist, Martin Chuzzlewit & Pickwick Papers) Condensed by Mary Louise Aswell & Illustrated by Donald McKay.

Printed 1943 baybee!

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
dance2urownbeat said:
the book thief by markus zusak!
i was overly inspired and emotional by the end of that book... i half considered writing to the author telling him just how great it was haha. i looooove it.

I LOVE THE BOOK THIEF.
it has to be one of my all-time favourite books!

my most treasured book would have to be We The Living by Ayn Rand.
changed my life; it's amazingggg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)