• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

motion problem (1 Viewer)

followme

HSC
I'm confused with solving SHM questions, please help.. thanks.
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
A particle moving with SHM starts from rest at a distance 6m from the centre of oscillation. If the period is 4pi seconds:
a) find the time taken to move to a point <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
6m</st1:chmetcnv> from the centre of oscillation. If the period is 4pi seconds: <O:p></O:p>

<font face=" /><st1:chmetcnv UnitName="m" SourceValue="3" HasSpace="False" Negative="False" NumberType="1" TCSC="0" w:st="on">3m</st1:chmetcnv> from the origin<O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>b) find the velocity and acceleration at this point<O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>period = 4π<O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>4π=2π/n<O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>n=1/2<O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>v<SUP>2</SUP>=n<SUP>2</SUP>(A<SUP>2</SUP>-x<SUP>2</SUP>) , 0=1/4(A<SUP>2</SUP>-36) , so A=6<O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>a) for SHM, x(t) can be : x(t)=Asin(nt+α) or x(t)=Acos (nt+β)<O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>since t=0 x=6 <O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>so it is 6=6sin (0/2+α) , α= π/2 or 6=6cos (0/2+β), β=0<O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=3>Therefore the equations to first part are 3=6sin(t/2+π/2) or 3=6cos (t/2) however the sine one gives t= -2π/3 and the cosine one gives t=2π/3. They differ in sign, so I’m not sure which one to use. On other occasion, the cosine one is –tive and the sine one is +tive. <O:p></O:p>
<FONT face=Arial size=3>b) v<SUP>2</SUP>=n<SUP>2</SUP>(A<SUP>2</SUP>-x<SUP>2</SUP>) =27/4 , so v= ±√27/2 However the book's answer is positive √27/2. How to determine the sign?

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

Can you please re type the question it's really hard to read

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Therefore the equations to first part are 3=6sin(t/2+π/2) or 3=6cos (t/2) however the sine one gives t= -2π/3 and the cosine one gives t=2π/3. They differ in sign, so I’m not sure which one to use. On other occasion, the cosine one is –tive and the sine one is +tive.
Time must be a positive value. There is no such thing as negative time, so you therefore use the positive value (i.e. take the absolute value of the result).

b) v2=n2(A2-x2) =27/4 , so v= ±√27/2 However the book's answer is positive √27/2. How to determine the sign?
I think that in this case, velocity could be positive or negative depending on the direction of the particle, so you use the absolute value.

I_F

shsshs

HSC
u say 6m from the centre.
this could be +6 or -6
so cldnt ur amplitude be -6?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)