• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Motivation during school holidays (1 Viewer)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Does anyone find it very difficult to do work these holidays for their HSC? I have been doing work, but I haven't been able to do much. I'm not very motivated lately, and I'm not sure why.
Does anyone have any advice on how to keep motivation levels up, and advice on how to keep distractions away?
Also, does anyone believe that me having a boyfriend will jeopardise my HSC? My parents are really worried because I'm going out with a boy. However, I'm still getting the same marks that I was always getting, and I'm still interested in school. Are my parents just paranoid?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
heys, i know how you feel. during these holidays i usually set myself a goal to do a set amount of work during the day but i never reach it. im not lazy but i barely feel motivated these days as i have to push myself a lot. because of that i feel really guilty and like crap a lot of the times. like when i study somethings i forget why im even doing it. it seems like a chore at times but hey i still have to get through it. but when im back at school i usually feel much more motivated because of my teachers and also the fact that im reminded daily about the hsc and the reality of how soon it is. and no having a bf won't jeopardise your hsc in anyway. you need to have a social life as well and something to keep you sane ! anyways good luck with everything and remember practically of us on this forum feel the same way you do and if you need any help just pm. tc !

Last edited:

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
Does anyone find it very difficult to do work these holidays for their HSC? I have been doing work, but I haven't been able to do much. I'm not very motivated lately, and I'm not sure why.
Does anyone have any advice on how to keep motivation levels up, and advice on how to keep distractions away?
Also, does anyone believe that me having a boyfriend will jeopardise my HSC? My parents are really worried because I'm going out with a boy. However, I'm still getting the same marks that I was always getting, and I'm still interested in school. Are my parents just paranoid?
yea I actually find it extremely difficult to study as well!!! Also.. I don't think that being in a relationship would jeopardise your HSC because it's all about time management. In fact, in my case, having a boyfriend actually forced me to manage my time better and my marks have improved from that.. :) :) :)

dturrin

HSC
Yeah i agree its hard to be motivated in the holidays- do something fun each day go out see some mates, you could try writing a list of things you want to do for each subject and in your spare time try and do a few of them, whatever works for you! i find working early in the morning easiest then you don't feel like its hanging over you to maybe do some study all day

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
dturrin said:
Yeah i agree its hard to be motivated in the holidays- do something fun each day go out see some mates, you could try writing a list of things you want to do for each subject and in your spare time try and do a few of them, whatever works for you! i find working early in the morning easiest then you don't feel like its hanging over you to maybe do some study all day
Agreered i always study early in the morning, as i barely get distracted and i am most concentrated at that time

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Thanks for that people.

I'm usually too tired to study early in the mornings. Don't get me wrong, I have done work, just not as much as I'd like to. It's difficult to get myself into the mood to do work. Sometimes it seems like I can't compete with the other people out there, and then I start thinking about how many hours they've put in, and I get depressed and I just stop working. It's a vicious cycle.

ediisjoz

HSC
I haven't touched a book or folder. In a few weeks i will.. not just yet.. i always leave it to the last minute anyway.. i don't have any motivation and as far as i'm concerned, i have better things to do right now.

Hours studied these holidays: 0

Ellie_Belly

HSC
ediisjoz said:
I haven't touched a book or folder. In a few weeks i will.. not just yet.. i always leave it to the last minute anyway.. i don't have any motivation and as far as i'm concerned, i have better things to do right now.

Hours studied these holidays: 0

I admire you because you're not stressed about things. How do you not stress?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Don't stress about how much other people are studying. Its all about quality, not quantity of study. You should really be enjoying your summer break, its far too hot to be studying anyway :p

Find the time of day, or night that suits your study patterns the best, that time you'll find is when you are most efficient at studying.

Go out and enjoy yourself as well, hang out with friends, go to the movies or beach, or whatever else you do. Theres nothing worse than trying to study and you can't. If you can't concentrate go and do something else for a while, get your mind off school work, relax!

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Cape said:
Don't stress about how much other people are studying. Its all about quality, not quantity of study. You should really be enjoying your summer break, its far too hot to be studying anyway :p

Find the time of day, or night that suits your study patterns the best, that time you'll find is when you are most efficient at studying.

Go out and enjoy yourself as well, hang out with friends, go to the movies or beach, or whatever else you do. Theres nothing worse than trying to study and you can't. If you can't concentrate go and do something else for a while, get your mind off school work, relax!

You're right about the quality not quantity thing.

I've been doing everything BUT study, though.
Thing is, I have to do this work because it's assessable stuff that's due almost as soon as I get back to school.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
Thanks for that people.

I'm usually too tired to study early in the mornings. Don't get me wrong, I have done work, just not as much as I'd like to. It's difficult to get myself into the mood to do work. Sometimes it seems like I can't compete with the other people out there, and then I start thinking about how many hours they've put in, and I get depressed and I just stop working. It's a vicious cycle.
haha dont worry about how many others have studied. everyone is different. And even though i spent like 28 hours all together studying, i havent actually accomplished a lot. A lot of those hours come from reading a book for my history extension major work and the others is just notes i have written for only 2 subjects which i havent even finished. you've probably done more than me in the span of 1 day ! so you be fine x]`

i hope these quotes help you get motivated and for everyone else:

“Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.”

“I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don't do things half-heartedly. Because I know if I do, then I can expect half-hearted results.”

"Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.”

“Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds.”

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Some inspiring quotes there hopeles5ly, defiantly something to think about and something that may help some people get 'motivated' to study.

I am a firm believe in there is no better motivator then yourself. Studying for yourself will usually bring the best out come after all it is your education your life and your future aspiring to goals you have set yourself and those you want to achieve can really be a great motivator especially when it comes close to exams although it can be understandably difficult at these times.

Also like others have noted remember quality not quality matters. 'Quality' can come from things like a study timetable, goals for each study session etc can help your study to always be quality that is if you keep on track.

lala2

Banned
HSC
You could always try reading for English, esp. Eng Ext. You might not enjoy the reading (I certainly didn't, except for Eng Ext), but the time for finding related texts and getting acquainted with them is now. Reading your core texts at least once through before studying them is a good idea too (my great Eng teacher advised that, but no-one did it, and everyone paid the price, by trying to work out the storyline together with analysing it simultaneously). At least you're doing work, and the (hopeful) mindset you'll have is that it *could* be more interesting than having your nose nailed to the desk.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
Sometimes, you just have to have a break. I had an enormously busy term 3 and 4, with a draining music exam in the holidays between. It got to the point where I almost couldn't be bothered doing anything for the last half of term 4, I was that exhausted. I've been taking it very easy for the last few weeks, and now I find I'm able to get back into doing work. So give yourself some time off and relax. You should find that you'll get back into the mood for work once you've unstrung a bit from last year. Just make sure you get some work done before school goes back to lighten your load in term 1 - but make sure you do have a holiday. :)

On motivation, mine is "Oh My God, the HSC's in 9 months". You might need something a little better though :p

If you're in a relationship, then it's really a matter of time management. Don't let your life be ruled by the coupling, but don't let the HSC overrule it. Make sure you leave ample time to get your work done, but also to relax. It's very important this year that you don't lose everything that makes you as a person in search of good marks. :)

I_F

ediisjoz

HSC
reasoning

Ellie_Belly said:
I admire you because you're not stressed about things. How do you not stress?

I don't stress because i can't be bothered... i mean.. i want to enjoy my last summer holidays... and that's what i'm doing. yes, i will do the required work - but i'm not going to push myself, i really just wanna have fun, then do the work.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
The last few days I've actually done work! w00t!!! I think I just needed to give myself that month or so break before getting into any study again.
But thanks to everyone for replying, it's nice to know i'm not the only one. I hope everyone achieves what they want to this year :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
The last few days I've actually done work! w00t!!! I think I just needed to give myself that month or so break before getting into any study again.
But thanks to everyone for replying, it's nice to know i'm not the only one. I hope everyone achieves what they want to this year :)
That's great Ellie! Keep it up! :lol:

I managed to do some work last month, but lost some motivation and haven't done any this year, i'm hoping to start tomorrow again.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Riviet said:
That's great Ellie! Keep it up! :lol:

I managed to do some work last month, but lost some motivation and haven't done any this year, i'm hoping to start tomorrow again.
Good luck! Sounds like you've already done heaps though. I'm sure you'll get back into things again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)