Motivation/ success story for 2013/14 hscers (1 Viewer)

zb123

HSC
Hey guys,

I spent quite a bit of last year on these forums, talking to people, asking for help as regards my HSC/ subjects/ advice.
I just want to let you guys know that throughout the HSC you will doubt yourself, and most likely feel tired/ hit rock bottom. You can be as smart as Shelley She, but I assure you, there will be times when you don't get the marks you want or expect.
What you need to know is that anything is possible.

In year 6 my parents made me sit the entrance exam for SYdney Grammar School - not the scholarship test, just the entrance test. I made it to the interview stage but was rejected a spot at Grammar. My parents pretended that it was all 'politics' and that grammar only lets people from primary school into high school. I saw the sadness on my parent's faces, and decided from that very day that I would eventually get a 99.95 ATAR and shock everyone around me. My parents laughed at that idea at the time, and didn't want my expectations being so high. In year 7 - 12 I attended a GPS school ranked outside of the top 50. I was in the C class in year 7, and constantly struggled with reading, and humanity-based subjects. Yet I never stopped dreaming of getting 99.95 and somehow getting into com/law.

By the end of year 11 my hopes of doing com/law were almost over; I basically failed my maths extension 1 preliminary exam. But in the beginning of year 12 between term 4 and term 1 of 2012 (where you guys are now) I stepped up, manned up, and realised that noone can 'fluke' a 99.95. Every minute of study and hard work I put in from then helped, and I managed to Dux my school, state rank maths with a perfect score, and topped all my humanity based subjects (eco, 4 units of english, business studies). So just remember, even the boy who couldn't get into Sydney Grammar can achieve a perfect atar. Don't worry about stuffing up little assessments; move on, keep your head up high, and be proud of who you are and what you truly want to achieve.

Good luck to you all, and I hope you get into your desired course in 2014.

Verify

HSC
Out of curiosity, how much work did you have to do to get from failing your preliminary exam to state ranking in maths?

Also congratulations! You are an inspiration to me :)

zb123

HSC
Out of curiosity, how much work did you have to do to get from failing your preliminary exam to state ranking in maths?

Also congratulations! You are an inspiration to me :)
ALOT of pastpapers. I did as much practice as I could.

CaffeineMotor

HSC
This is exactly what I need. I told myself to kick myself into gear and I have done that but had a few mediocre results in term 4. Thanks for this mate, good luck with the future!

Gonna hit these holidays running and do whatever I can.

artard

HSC
Congratulations you've made it! You sir, are a legend!

If you don't mind me asking, how were you ranks at the start of the year? Were you always top of all your subjects or did you have some bad results you improved on?

Focus is Key

HSC
This makes me feel better about myself too.

In a similar vein I was rejected entry into a top 50 selective school in Year 6 after sitting the entrance test, and I have improved dramatically ever since after always being 2nd best. I then assured myself I'd be able to climb to the #1 position after the old #1 moved to a different religious school in the region. After moving to high school I found another girl had massively stepped her game up after tutoring/Kumon. I then gave everything my all for three years, but I was studying hard not smart always coming second to her for three years (7-9). After wanting to improve myself I went to tutoring and studied far longer hours having a lot more self-confidence and a far better attitude. After a year where everything seemed to fall into place we then tied, making her realise I was a threat but seeing a light at the end of the tunnel (Year 10). Before Year 11 started I vowed I'd give 110% to my studies and do things on my own terms, not being as competitive, just the best I can be. I then managed to get dux of Year 11 alone and shocked myself. Year 12 is also going well for me :)

Your story is inspiring, congratulations to you :D I hope I can get an ATAR in the 90's, not aiming for 99.95 lol although it would be nice

enak101

HSC
This is great.

I went very poorly in 2U maths in prelim but I'm taking advantage of these holidays to get ahead and work on maths especially. So I'm going to start studying tomorrow :D

Thanks for the great story.

distinction

HSC
How much did you study in the summer holidays and how did you plan it out??? Inspiring story!!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I just want to let you guys know that throughout the HSC you will doubt yourself, and most likely feel tired/ hit rock bottom. You can be as smart as Shelley She, but I assure you, there will be times when you don't get the marks you want or expect.
What you need to know is that anything is possible.
Yet I never stopped dreaming of getting 99.95 and somehow getting into com/law.
I take my hat off to you.

Your brilliance in embracing the principle of hard work is truly awe-inspiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)