Motorbikes and scooters. (1 Viewer)

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
I would really like a vespa. The problem is, I know nothing about them. (yeah, great start huh?)

So what are the flaws of scooters in comparision to a motorbike? Advantages?

Anything I should look out for?
New or used?
what brands are best?
etc.

Thank you!

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Advantages: You are more gay
Disadvantages: Less stable, less cool, less power, worse handling, worse braking.

Jake22

HSC
People who drive scooters are lol-magnets.

xsjado

HSC
Riet said:
Disadvantages: Less stable, less cool, less power, worse handling, worse braking.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Every Riet said is spot on. They're really fucking easy to lose the front on a wet road. Or any road. I have to scars to prove it.

I'd add they're easy to ride, and pretty handy for carrying stuff and groceries as they generally have good underseat storage.

You basically have two choices for brands. You can buy a euro or jap scoot, that you'll pay through the nose for, and it'll still be shit and the tinny engines just don't last as long as a good sized bike engine

Or you can buy a cheap little asian scoot from some noname brand that'll break down all the time and cost you more than a car long term in running costs. I also know this from experience.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Might I add, if must have a small bike, get a fucking CT110.

aka. the legendary postie bike.

It has every advantage over a scooter.

Engines go forever, parts are cheap and readily available, every bikeshop in Australia will be happy to work on them, they mono like crazy, they're original a dual-purpose thing, so you can thrash them off-road, and decent sized wheels handle properly on-road, I've seen dudes dragging the pegs no worries, cheap power-up chinese engines bolt straight in, they have better load carrying capacity than the best scooter.

Is that enough advantages?

They're also a fuckton cheaper than scooters to buy.

Postie is the mans scooter.

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Well...

I'm a gay chick, so don't really care...

I have heard many people talk about steering, etc. The main thing that attracted me to a scooter is that they're generally heaps easy to drive (apparently - I wouldn't know) and mother is more willing to let me ride a scooter than a real bike. Maybe if I get a scooter first I could 'ween' her into the idea.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
They're easy to drive at walking pace sure. Once speeds rise, they're generally terrifying.

The tyres on them are generally rubbish. The tyre companies invest far more in RD into proper motorcycle tyres. Scooter tyres are generally cheap econo rubbish with no grip.

Small wheels handle worse in all sorts of ways, they're unstable.

Suspension is generally crap.

Weight distribution and frame design are far from ideal. Ask an engineer, they know.

In conclusion, they're pretty fucking dangerous, relative to a bike. A bike will keep grip on loose gravel or wet roads where a scooter won't.

A bike only goes as fast as you twist the wrist.

Seriously, get a little 250cc motorcycle, CB250, GN250, something along those lines.

If you need a little bike first to convince your mum, you really want a postie, trust me, I think I gave plenty enough explanation why above. Posties rule.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Hi i am an engineer. There is nothing surprising about it, the chassis geometry on a bike is MUCH better, full stop. having the gap for your legs means that the back half is only joined to the front by one section. This means that part has to be heavier and yet it will still flex a lot more than a frame that utilizes triangles. Little wheels are more affected by bumps in the road and such. Seriously, small bikes are MUCH better.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
my mum said she wanted to get a vespa the other day, i told her if she did i'd file for emancipation

boris

Banned
HSC
seriously get a bicycle and then get a electric motor upgrade for it and just ride around on that with your little yellow vest on and everything. they go like 23km/h

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Maybe I'll look into a smaller motorcycle.

How hard are they to drive?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Not hard.

Go do the Pre-L's course. You get to hoon around on little bikes for 6 hours of professional, practical instruction, over a 2 day course for only ~$60. They'll get you riding, no worries.

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Not hard.

Go do the Pre-L's course. You get to hoon around on little bikes for 6 hours of professional, practical instruction, over a 2 day course for only ~$60. They'll get you riding, no worries.
\

Ok. You've got me convinced

Im going to look into getting a bike.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)