Movie that made a great impression on you (1 Viewer)

darkroomgirl

HSC
High Fidelity... great perspective into the complexities of the male mind.

Amelie... artistic, delightful, whimsical and unexpectedly deep.

Romeo and Juliet (Baz Luhrmann version)... made me realise how universal Shakespeare could really be. Also made me LIKE Shakespeare.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Gah.. Amelie pissed me off. I hate fairytales!! =/

Another interesting recent (sorta) film is Magnolia.

olchik

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
im guessing changed ur life or gave you a new perspective?
Yes you're right. I meant movie which made you to think about your life, your relationship with people and may be to change your life somehow.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
wow i really shoulda checked that one eh, i just assumed cause it was heaps his style[except no backtracking bits but meh]

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
eli roth and tarantino actually both collaborated together to make the movie, though roth gets both the writing and directing credits.

nwatts

HSC
_dhj_ said:
But I don't think films actually give you new perspectives. A film speaks to you by reinforcing your worldview rather than challenging it.
I disagree. The recent Brokeback Mountain considerably challenged my different ideologies, which in turn left a considerable impression on me. How you define "great" is then up to you. Instead of brilliant, i'd let it mean considerable in size. Brokeback surely fits.

More generally, films that have made great impressions on me: Lost in Translation, 24 Hour Party People, In the Mood for Love, Magnolia. Either because they're such brilliant films, or that they challenged my way of thinking in a manner I could relate to.

KDK

HSC
olchik said:
What new movies did make really great impression on you? Can you recommend to watch them?
The Sixth Sense
Signs
Man on Fire
any michael Bay film (excluding Pearl Harbour)

Carnivour

HSC
dbf064 said:
The Island

I wasn't expecting much from it but after seeing it i was like wow
haha are you seriuos? i the end reminded me of the qantas ad. i was half-expecting them to start singing "i am austraaaaalian". plus, it was a distubing and shameless hybrid of bladerunner and brave new world.

favourite movies and made a great impression on me are vastly different for me. regardless:

American Beauty - pretty self explanatory
Fight Club - ^
House of Sand and Fog - i actually greatly disliked this movie, but this could be because of the hopelessness that it offered in such a disturbing way it definetely made an impression on me.
Matrix (i will never ever get over the first one, my favourite movie by a mile, the sequels... dont even go there)
A Clockwork Orange (read the book, loved it, movie was excellent also which doesnt happen often)
Arnie movies in general - these left an impression on me because i grew up with them, my brother watched them all the time. example of how stupid movies "made an impression on me"

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
Not new, but i saw it recently (pun not intended). My current fave movie of all time is Saw. The number of twists in the story line, and the plot itself is soooo well thought out!! OMG can't wait to see saw 2 on dvd!

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I really didn't like Saw at all. I don't know why. I'd much rather Se7en.

dbf064 said:
The Island

I wasn't expecting much from it but after seeing it i was like wow
While I enjoyed The Island, I do have to agree with Carnivour. The ending did remind me of the QANTAS ad, and it has stolen a lot from the plotlines of Bladerunner, Brave New World and most noticeably from Logan's Run. Great book. Read it. Crap movie. Don't watch it.

Anyway, films that made an impression on me:

Fight Club
Rain Man
Black Hawk Down
American Beauty
Munich
Schindler's List
Hotel Rwanda
American History X
Saving Private Ryan
All Quiet On The Western Front
Traisnpotting
The Elephant Man
The Shawshank Redemption

I also didn't mind:

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Stay
Look Both Ways

I know that's long, oh well . . .

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
ah American History X and Shawshank, forgot about those.
Higher learning and donnie darko had some impact, but are awesome movies in general also.

Carnivour

HSC
sam. said:
While I enjoyed The Island, I do have to agree with Carnivour. The ending did remind me of the QANTAS ad, and it has stolen a lot from the plotlines of Bladerunner, Brave New World and most noticeably from Logan's Run. Great book. Read it. Crap movie. Don't watch it.

Anyway, films that made an impression on me:

Fight Club
Rain Man
Black Hawk Down
American Beauty
Munich
Schindler's List
Hotel Rwanda
American History X
Saving Private Ryan
All Quiet On The Western Front
Traisnpotting
The Elephant Man
The Shawshank Redemption

I also didn't mind:

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Stay
Look Both Ways

I know that's long, oh well . . . Today 1:58 AM
sunjet said:
ah American History X and Shawshank, forgot about those.
Higher learning and donnie darko had some impact, but are awesome movies in general also.
i also have to add American History X, Higher learning and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. :)

rewster

HSC
A Nightmare on Elm Street

Saw

American Beauty

Batman Begins

Hostage

salsydney

HSC
I saw Lord of War last weekend, what a great film... i really wasnt expecting anything, as I didn't even know the storyline.. think it gave an interesting perspective into the world of dangerous careers (Nicholas Cage was an arms dealer in it, for those who don't know)... like, obviously I don't sit around pondering the morals of arms dealers, but it def gives you an insight into those careers that everybody assumes makes someone a bad person... ahh in any case, excellent movie, definitely recommend it, but not if all you want to see is fighting.

bigbee1

HSC
Dances with the Wolves
the Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Million Dollar Baby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)