Moving down to Sydney (1 Viewer)

dgh1

HSC
So after years of fearing Sydney as being an unrealistic place to live, I've decided that it might be a good idea to move down there.

Ever since moving to Australia (from the awesome but unfortunate South Africa) I've lived in Melbourne, Cairns and Brisbane. So I've lived all along the coast, the only place lacking is Sydney. At the moment I live in Brisbane and to be perfectly honest, it doesn't appeal to me. Queensland has never been a place where I feel I can live permanently. Too laid back I think?

If you were in my situation, would you make the move? The University of Sydney looks like quite a nice University, but so does the University of Queensland. Obviously Sydney is more prestigious? I intend on studying Commerce and eventually completing my graduate LLB.

I would also appreciate advice on suburbs that surround the main USyd campus, which are the closest and most economical? At first I'll probably have to get a room in a share house until I find my feet. Apparently I should avoid Redfern? :uhoh:

Also, how do NSW work with their driver licencing? I've got my QLD Red P-plates after having to accumulate 100 hours, and there is no way I want to do that again! How long after you get your red P's do you progress to Green? Or doesn't Red exist there?

Thanks guys!

HSC
i would move if i were you. avoiding redfern is a good idea, i would recommend elsewhere in the inner west (e.g. newtown and surrounding suburbs)

after 12 months on your red p's you can get your greens.

philphie

Banned
HSC
So after years of fearing Sydney as being an unrealistic place to live, I've decided that it might be a good idea to move down there.

Ever since moving to Australia (from the awesome but unfortunate South Africa) I've lived in Melbourne, Cairns and Brisbane. So I've lived all along the coast, the only place lacking is Sydney. At the moment I live in Brisbane and to be perfectly honest, it doesn't appeal to me. Queensland has never been a place where I feel I can live permanently. Too laid back I think?

If you were in my situation, would you make the move? The University of Sydney looks like quite a nice University, but so does the University of Queensland. Obviously Sydney is more prestigious? I intend on studying Commerce and eventually completing my graduate LLB.

I would also appreciate advice on suburbs that surround the main USyd campus, which are the closest and most economical? At first I'll probably have to get a room in a share house until I find my feet. Apparently I should avoid Redfern? :uhoh:

Also, how do NSW work with their driver licencing? I've got my QLD Red P-plates after having to accumulate 100 hours, and there is no way I want to do that again! How long after you get your red P's do you progress to Green? Or doesn't Red exist there?

Thanks guys!
Redfern isn't that bad, depends what side you live on, the eastern side next to Alexandria is considered better whilst the northwestern end is considered a red zone. for me it's all safe because i'm familiar with inner city clicks so i knw how to avoid trouble plus there isn't much there anyway, people are just irrational. newtown is definitely a breeding ground for students. Camperdown and redfern are the closest suburbs, Camperdown is a bit pricey Redfern is actually fine but seeing how you're not from sydney if you do stya at Redfern, share house it. Places like Stanmore, Annandale, Erskineville, Glebe, LEichhardt and Balmain are very nice but again fairly pricey. if you're a person who likes good dining Glebe, Leichhardt and BAlmain are good. if you loike markets Erskineville and Glebe are good. a bit further out, just a little bit is Petersham and Lewisham, the two places i consider to be bet bang for your buck. They are mainly residential places, lovely terraces, good portugese dining and rents are good value so i recommend those two suburbs. also don't be daunted by the amount of suburbs i've listed, the inner west is held very tightly together so you can pretty much walk from anywhere to anywhere

alexmartinek

HSC
moving to sydney next year and tbh im scared shitless. im a classic country bumpkin from a small town where everyone knows everyone...ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

philphie

Banned
HSC
moving to sydney next year and tbh im scared shitless. im a classic country bumpkin from a small town where everyone knows everyone...ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

apart from not fitting in, what are you scared of?

alexmartinek

HSC
how about finding a job in a place i dont know well, getting around on public transport if ive only ever caught the same bus to and from school...there are a myriad of things really...

philphie

Banned
HSC
how about finding a job in a place i dont know well, getting around on public transport if ive only ever caught the same bus to and from school...there are a myriad of things really...
finding a job will be hard for anyone regardless, public transport, all you really need is a train timetable, anyway you'll have friends going with you right?

johony

HSC
are you going to uni? perhaps stay on campus and find jobs via the careers faculty (or something) there. that would cut out a lot of problems you might find when moving somewhere new.

alexmartinek

HSC
are you going to uni? perhaps stay on campus and find jobs via the careers faculty (or something) there. that would cut out a lot of problems you might find when moving somewhere new.
yeah im staying on campus and definately plan on asking careers faculty for help aye. and no, no one i know is going to the same uni as me.

philphie

Banned
HSC
yeah im staying on campus and definately plan on asking careers faculty for help aye. and no, no one i know is going to the same uni as me.
well you shouldn't have a hard time making friends unless you're a prick. what residential college are you staying at/ or are you staying at syd uni village?

philphie

Banned
HSC
UNSW village
yeah you'll make friends easily. usyd residential colleges tend to be extremely uptight (apart from the parties) they're a breeding ground for social conservatives, but this is just my generalisation

alexmartinek

HSC
yeah you'll make friends easily. usyd residential colleges tend to be extremely uptight (apart from the parties) they're a breeding ground for social conservatives, but this is just my generalisation
im not going to usyd, ill be at unsw but yeah i catch your drift

philphie

Banned
HSC
the only problem you have now is working out the bus schedules because trains on the east side end at bondi and don't reach the south east where unsw is

kfnmpah

HSC
Leichhardt!
Don't live in redfern unless you live in the bit RIGHT near the uni/behind broadway shopping centre. Chippendale could be good.

But, I'd definitely vote leichhardt or Glebe if you can afford it (Y)

philphie

Banned
HSC
Leichhardt!
Don't live in redfern unless you live in the bit RIGHT near the uni/behind broadway shopping centre. Chippendale could be good.

But, I'd definitely vote leichhardt or Glebe if you can afford it (Y)
she already said unsw village. anyway she's a student, if you're a student you go to newtown, what would she do at glebe markets?

shady145

Banned
HSC
im doing similar thing... moving from 100km south of brisbane to sydney :O
so you guys reckon newtown?... or any NW or north beach suburbs? any good south/west/sw

philphie

Banned
HSC
im doing similar thing... moving from 100km south of brisbane to sydney :O
so you guys reckon newtown?... or any NW or north beach suburbs? any good south/west/sw
northen beaches might be a bit far from any university. if you want to be close to the beach then maybe bondi/coogee/maroubra/bronte but that will cost a lot.
in the southwest but still close enough to uni maybe homebush?

newtown is reknowned as a student community but places like lewisham/petersham are very close by and rent is a little cheaper.

if you're desperate to be close to a beach then there's cronulla or wollongong.

are you going to university?

shady145

Banned
HSC
northen beaches might be a bit far from any university. if you want to be close to the beach then maybe bondi/coogee/maroubra/bronte but that will cost a lot.
in the southwest but still close enough to uni maybe homebush?

newtown is reknowned as a student community but places like lewisham/petersham are very close by and rent is a little cheaper.

if you're desperate to be close to a beach then there's cronulla or wollongong.

are you going to university?
yea i'm going to UNSW i think
thanks for the info :)

philphie

Banned
HSC
yea i'm going to UNSW i think
thanks for the info :)
ah then kensington is where all the unsw students are. newtown and the innerwest might be a bit too far because it's on the other side of town. you could always take the metro bus but i'm not too sure on how efficient they are. south east the rent is cheaper than the general eastern area so places like kingsford, mascot, randwick and kensington are alright. if you want to be close enough to the other side of town then alexandria/surry hills is the cheaper part of the south east but not the worse part, i actually think it's better because they have the hopetoun hotel and gaelic club. but again if you want to be close to the beach then maroubra/south coogee, cheaper than bondi and closer to unsw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)