Moving from Standard to Advanced (1 Viewer)

JonLe

HSC
Hi

I'm in a pretty awkward position

I topped the grade of the first std eng hsc Assesment Task

and I have been given the opportunity to move from Standard to Advanced.

The thing is that both advanced and standard assessments have already past.

Advanced assessment was a speech on belonging
Standard assessment was an in class essay and hand in creative

Should I Move to Advanced?
How will it affect me?
Has this happened to anyone else??

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated!

:)

lisarh

HSC
That's weird. Don't think you should even be allowed to do that.

Rainie

HSC
^ I agree.

The modules are studied diffferently with different texts apart from the Area of Study.

But if your school allows you to do so, I suggest looking at your peers who do Advanced English and asking them how the work is like. Or perhaps look at their work and then decide. Another thing would be looking at the course structure/syllabus to see if you can cope with the work.

Good luck :)

counterman

HSC
If you have an opportunity to move from Standard English to Advanced take it if you think you're capable i.e. able to cope and do well .

I agree with Rainie . Check out what is included in the Advanced English syllabus and compare it to Standard English work and see which one you find more interesting.

In Year 11, I was told if I topped the first assessment task I would be able to move from Standard to Advanced . I did that. However, I wasn't allowed to . So, after a bitter battle with the head teacher of English, I ended up topping Standard for the Preliminary course and not being able to move to Advanced for the HSC. For me, I found the Advanced course more interesting, though the work is much more demanding and difficult. Problem was, I wasn't given an opportunity like yours. Though, no regrets in doing Standard English.

If you stick with standard, make sure you score mid band 5 or above (i.e. 85 +) and If you can maintain a top ranking than that would be better, in my opinion, than being an average student in Advanced.

Best of luck. Ask your current English teacher for her take on this. Last thing you want to do is catch up on work on either .

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'd get at least a B grade assessment task from a friend, read and it see if i could do something like that.

If i couldn't, i'd stick to standard english. The scaling is horrible but it's better to do great in standard then to literally fail advanced.

If i could, then i'd have to work out whether or not i was bothered to catch up. That is on the last topic done and working on how to write advanced styled essays. The way you have to write is different so yeah, you'd have to work on that.

Whichever you decide, all the best!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You need to make sure you consider the advantages afforded by the Board's moderating procedures to a student who is ranked first.

If you maintain your first place position in Standard, and you achieve the top exam mark from your school, your assessment mark will be set equal to your top exam mark.

The courses are scaled the same so there is no benefit there.

The advantage provided by moving to Advanced is primarily the enhanced learning environment - i.e. the level of conceptualisation required in Advanced and the level of discussion that occurs in Advanced classrooms. There may be more opportunities to practise the skills described by bands 5 and 6 in the Advanced course.

JonLe

HSC
Well thanks for the help guys.

I've decided to move to advanced

getting averages of B in my practice essays

and i don't have to do a speech! :D

everything in advanced is certainly more sophisticated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)