Moving out dilemma (1 Viewer)

dxb

HSC
OK so im moving out in about a week to a place thats not really what u would call 5 star, mabey not even 2 lol, with two other guys. Both seem pretty good kids etc. but u know, 3 guys, play footy so you get some crew coming thru.

But I've got a bit of a problem. I kno it sounds a little stupid but moving my TV is a really big dilemma atm. Its one of those sony bravia tv's, its pretty fucking big, 46" I think and i spent 4k on it about 6 months ago. So its basiclly my baby. I <3 it lol.

I'm not sure what I should do? When or if I do bring it in, ill be getting contents insurance but that only covers fire/theft. Im scared that, cus its going to be in the living room and its on some small little table, it will get pushed over by crew that come around or some1 thats drunk etc. I've already told them I've got a swiot TV n Ill be bringing it around but now im not sure. What should I do? lol

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Wall mount with sheet of perspex over the front.

Cheap and safe.

dxb

HSC
Unfortuantly the room is sorta the wrong shape for a TV that size and it doesnt have a TV port thing. I think the flat mates would get a little jellous and may try sabotage. lol

And I cant wall mount....renting means no structual mods unless approved by landlords...which they wont want since once I leave it will leave marks in the wall :(

mr_brightside

HSC
dxb said:
Unfortuantly the room is sorta the wrong shape for a TV that size and it doesnt have a TV port thing. I think the flat mates would get a little jellous and may try sabotage. lol

And I cant wall mount....renting means no structual mods unless approved by landlords...which they wont want since once I leave it will leave marks in the wall :(
I wouldn't call it a structural mod.

Brick or gyprock room?

dxb

HSC
mr_brightside said:
I wouldn't call it a structural mod.

Brick or gyprock room?
No idea. At a guess its brick but I'm probs wrong. Its old. Very old. I do know that.

Been a tradie i should probs know lol.

Anyone got any tips on moving out home 2? First time!

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Put it on the roof above your bed that would be pretty cool.

michael1990

HSC
Get the new housemates to pay a little for the TV. Then make it a family tv?

Or put it in your room.

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
a major hint. everyone should pay a week (at least) in advance before the rent is due.
and make the biggest scariest fuker of you the rent colector (provided he is likely to remember to pay it)

flatmates not paying rent is a fuking big headache.

mr_brightside

HSC
dxb said:
No idea. At a guess its brick but I'm probs wrong. Its old. Very old. I do know that.

Been a tradie i should probs know lol.
You're a tradie and you can't tell me what material the walls are? goose :p

Go to Sony's website and find out the part number for the bracket thats compatible with your screen. Then call up a supplier and order it. When you get it, do your measurements and make sure the bracket is level. Use a masonry bit to drill your holes. Plug them with anchors and attach the bracket with screws. Keep checking it is level throughout the process. Attach any necessary cords (IEC, RCA, Aerial, Component, HDMI, etc.) to the plasma/lcd then get a friend to help put it on the bracket. Bob's your uncle.

When it comes time to move out all you need to do is take down the screen. Remove the bracket. Sand back the paint. Fill the holes with mortar and repaint. Voila.

dxb

HSC
mr_brightside said:
You're a tradie and you can't tell me what material the walls are? goose :p

Go to Sony's website and find out the part number for the bracket thats compatible with your screen. Then call up a supplier and order it. When you get it, do your measurements and make sure the bracket is level. Use a masonry bit to drill your holes. Plug them with anchors and attach the bracket with screws. Keep checking it is level throughout the process. Attach any necessary cords (IEC, RCA, Aerial, Component, HDMI, etc.) to the plasma/lcd then get a friend to help put it on the bracket. Bob's your uncle.

When it comes time to move out all you need to do is take down the screen. Remove the bracket. Sand back the paint. Fill the holes with mortar and repaint. Voila.
lol thanks for that, but I know how to do it loll :p just iv only been to the place once and I couldnt or forgot what the walls were made of.

Like I said, I'm not sure if the landlords will be happy putting fairly large holes in the walls. and the way the room is I dont think I can anyway since it far too small for a 117cm TV. Ill have to see I guess.

I have been looking at insurance too. One with Accidental Damage included in the policy. But their are so many loopholes in the product disclosure statements the companies have.

Moving in tomorrow! Little sad to be honist. Leaving home and all. My parents are so negative. This hole week is just one massive disscussion about how I wont survive on apprentice wages and how I gota cool and clean and shit. $80 p/week for rent....im on a wage of $400-$600 a week (site allowances and what not included) so I do believe I will be fine...lol

mr_brightside

HSC
Maybe having the 46" right now isn't a good idea.

Considered selling it and getting a 26"/32"?

smelon

HSC
wow i wish i was moving out of home, all that freedom, no parents to tell you shit. when my brother moved out he waited until he was happy with the place and had trust in people before he took his tv, his is big too. so maybe leave it at your parents until your satisfied you can trust them? and when/if you have people over and your worried it will get broken put the tv away?

dxb

HSC
The_highwayman said:
could u trade TVs with ur parents?
lollllllll. i should get you a photo of the TV they have. lolll!

dxb

HSC
smelon said:
wow i wish i was moving out of home, all that freedom, no parents to tell you shit. when my brother moved out he waited until he was happy with the place and had trust in people before he took his tv, his is big too. so maybe leave it at your parents until your satisfied you can trust them? and when/if you have people over and your worried it will get broken put the tv away?
yeah thats a very good idea and what I was planning on doing. I've been with them over a week now, they are sik guys lol. So yeah pretty sure ill just get sum insurance down and move it in.

Living out of home is thattt much better. Town is so close, I can walk 2 a from all the nite spots. I dont mind buying my own food and Im surprised I can actually cook a fairly good meal! lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)