:confused: or do ur parents pay...
which uni do u go to?
how much do u pay a semester?

c'mon tell me something... anything...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I may be in the same situation as you, its scary hey...I couldn't give a toss what course I do (I'm already at uni), but given that I may have to move 8 hrs away, it would be kinda nice to have some arrangements.
Anyways, try PMing natstar, she knows heaps about this kinda stuff and is really helpful

mija

HSC
great news!!
my parents are willing to pay for the costs!!
but they said if i get rent assistance and anything like that i have to pay them back with that.
thanks for the info natstar! kinda confused with the income bank though but i'll just read about that once i get the place.

now i jus have to worry about getting a place... poop.. :(

jang

is not my real name
HSC
ah wow... natstar.. thats crzy info thanks
but the thing is.. cant u just say im 18 and live outside of home, gimme money?

Collin

HSC
N/A
I used to get Youth Allowance.. which was around $136 bucks per fortnight. I'm actually looking to move out now and that will be feasible if I can get both the Woolies and ColesMyer job I applied for, aswell as keeping up my tuition and maybe getting Youth Allowance too. Fuck, I need to get away from my annoying parents.

kalli

HSC
jang said:
ah wow... natstar.. thats crzy info thanks
but the thing is.. cant u just say im 18 and live outside of home, gimme money?
nah u have to meet certain criteria which SUCKS! i used to get 320 a fortnight off centrelink but i lost it about a mionth ago coz my parents earnt too much.

i think i should be getting it coz im a full time uni student who gets no assistance off her parents but centrlink are tight asses :(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
What I think is funny(?), your parents can be earning like a dollar over the threshold, and therefore be as likely to be unable to support you through your degree as someone whose parents earn under the threshold, but yet theres no help for you because your parents are supposedly well enough off to support you through the degree.

kalli

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
What I think is funny(?), your parents can be earning like a dollar over the threshold, and therefore be as likely to be unable to support you through your degree as someone whose parents earn under the threshold, but yet theres no help for you because your parents are supposedly well enough off to support you through the degree.
doesnt ure centrelink payemnt go down $4 for every $1 your parents are over or something like that? centrelink are so dodgy... i know of ppl who get 2 or 3 payemnts (and they are rich as ) when theres heaps of students out there who really need it but get shunned...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm not entirely sure how it works...but I know friends don't get it, coz their parents are earning just over the threshold, but they're still not well enough off to be throwing money at them for the next 4 yrs

jang

is not my real name
HSC
kalli said:
nah u have to meet certain criteria which SUCKS! i used to get 320 a fortnight off centrelink but i lost it about a mionth ago coz my parents earnt too much.

i think i should be getting it coz im a full time uni student who gets no assistance off her parents but centrlink are tight asses :(
ah shat..
but do u live by urself?

jang

is not my real name
HSC
kalli said:
nah i live with my boyfriend... (but centrelink didnt know that :rolleyes: )
oh i just meant away from ur rents...
so that means... even if u living away from ur family, their income is assessable regardless of how much they are contributing to ur needs?

kalli

HSC
jang said:
oh i just meant away from ur rents...
so that means... even if u living away from ur family, their income is assessable regardless of how much they are contributing to ur needs?
i live in melbourne and my parents live in coffs harbour and their income still counts no mater what. i remember one time centrelink sent me a form asking me how long it took to walk to my parents house... :rolleyes:

your parents income doesnt count if you are classed as independant...

your parents can tell centrelink that they want to disown you and then you would be independant but u might have to deal with DOCS.

Also you can class yourself as defacto and be independant but i havent tried that before...

i think there is a couple more excuses for being "independant" but u would have to check the website...

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/individuals/st_payments.htm

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
The threshhold is way too low. I'll be moving into Sydney next year and I can't get anything from the government, even though my parents earn shit all. They are above the limit, even though they have a $200,000 mortgage and all that shit...

My share of the bond is gonna cost over $1000, where the fuck is a 17 year old supposed to get $1000!? Then the rent is the same story... so much rent for some shitty house, nothing even good about it just because it's in the city the owners can get pretty much any rent they want on it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I have been living in Syd for a year (700kms from my parents) and I have been working basically full time most of the year to support myself with a bit of help from my parents.... hopefully I should be able to get Youth Allowance in May because I should be classed as independent then.... the whole 18 months after leaving school thing is stupid too...

The way income banking works is also stupid.... you have to not work to build up the income bank otherwise your payments get affected if you earn more than the fortnightly amount. Why can't the income bank work so that you can earn $6000 per annum and it doesn't matter when you do it in the year? You should be able to choose how your income bank works so that it isn't a hinderance to you and actually helps you.

I think the system sucks quite frankly.... I know people that have missed out on going away to uni to do the course they really want to do because they can't get the financial assistance they need... my parents earn over the threshold (mostly because of our assets- our small business etc) but it is still a massive financial undertaking... plus I have siblings, and should they miss out on things because I want to go to university? Because I work a lot I haven't been able to do work experience etc in the media industry that I need to do otherwise I won't get a job when I graduate. Without getting the work experience etc my degree will be fairly useless.

I think there needs to be a bit of a rethinking about the way the system works....

Collin

HSC
N/A
kalli said:
i live in melbourne and my parents live in coffs harbour and their income still counts no mater what. i remember one time centrelink sent me a form asking me how long it took to walk to my parents house... :rolleyes:
Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Centrelink are crazy.... when I went there to ask the guy about youth allowance I told him I went to university in Sydney and my family live in Albury (I was at the Albury office)..... then about 5 minutes later he asked if I lived away from home or not.... hmm pretty big commute....

Collin

HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
Centrelink are crazy.... when I went there to ask the guy about youth allowance I told him I went to university in Sydney and my family live in Albury (I was at the Albury office)..... then about 5 minutes later he asked if I lived away from home or not.... hmm pretty big commute....
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
wow... i thought youth allowance was free money and i could leave my home and be of no financial detriment to my parents income.. but now. its just fucked.

Collin

HSC
N/A
jang said:
wow... i thought youth allowance was free money and i could leave my home and be of no financial detriment to my parents income.. but now. its just fucked.
With all the fucking forms they kept sending me.. oh man, whether or not it was worth it was a big question for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)