• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Moving to NSW for UNI.... (1 Viewer)

JaidenC

HSC
So, I currently live in Queensland and hold a QLD Learner's License. Next year, I hope to be going to NSW for Uni (UNSW most likely) and living on campus. By then I should hold a QLD P1 License.

So my question is - while holding a QLD P's license, will I be restricted by the 90km/h speed limit when driving in NSW?

Also, will I need to get a new NSW P's license when I start living in Sydney - or would my residential address stay as my home in Queensland (and if I did leave it as my parents home, would that block me from claiming independence)?

Hope that's not too much of a mouthful.
Thanks,
- JaidenC

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
So my question is - while holding a QLD P's license, will I be restricted by the 90km/h speed limit when driving in NSW?

I'd get a lisence trasnfer

or would my residential address stay as my home in Queensland (and if I did leave it as my parents home, would that block me from claiming independence)?

It shouldn't stay as your QLD address thats fraud - it won't block you from claiming shit yo.

I moved from Perth to Canberra and everything panned out well - hardest thing was finding a fucking house

JaidenC

HSC
It shouldn't stay as your QLD address thats fraud - it won't block you from claiming shit yo.
Yeah, but I've heard of a workaround where you "technically" can live in Queensland and are just a visitor in NSW for study, not an actual resident.
Not exactly sure just how beneficial that would be though.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Yeah, but I've heard of a workaround where you "technically" can live in Queensland and are just a visitor in NSW for study, not an actual resident.
I don't see how it'd block your independance and I don't see the advantage of this unless you were dependant as I am though I stil get centrelink even though my parents are in Perth

JaidenC

HSC
I just don't want to be driving around with a Speed Limit of 90km/h - I'd feel like an old granny on the highway.
Pretty sure I'd need to get a new license if I officially moved to NSW - the address would be wrong otherwise.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I just don't want to be driving around with a Speed Limit of 90km/h - I'd feel like an old granny on the highway.
Pretty sure I'd need to get a new license if I officially moved to NSW - the address would be wrong otherwise.
yea my gf is getting a new one - dw about it though just get OP 1 then worry about other shit

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
It is legal to do that, as long as you can demonstrate you have an intention to return home to live. My permanent address for many purposes is still in NSW even though I spend most of my year in the ACT.

I'm not sure about the P plates, but the ACT RTA advises us that ACT P platers can drive to the full limit in NSW. Not sure if it's the same with QLD/NSW or not, I might look it up.

edit: http://www.free2go.com.au/provisional/interstate_driving talks about it, but their language is a bit ambiguous. I think it means you can drive to the posted limit unless Qld Transport has placed a lower limit on your licence for some reason.

Last edited:

Deathless

HSC
Anyone know if you can transfer registration for free (if I buy a car in WA) or have to buy?

izzy88

HSC
To my knowledge you are bound by the conditions of your drivers licence- not the conditions of the state you are driving in (for licence purposes).

Eg. If am a NSW Green P Plater (can't drive over 100km/h), driving in South Australia, I still can't drive over 100km/h even though P-Platers at my stage in South Australia don't have a speed limit.

I am not sure of the licence conditions of P-Platers in QLD- but if you kept your QLD licence you would be bound by those restrictions, whatever they are.

As for actually changing your address- I'm not sure what the rules are. I have friends that moved to the ACT for university- some changed their addresses (basically to convert to their licence system which is shorter/less restrictions than NSW), and others didn't.

I still have my address as rural NSW even though I live in sydney to go to uni- that's because i didn't see any point putting '*** College, USYD', when I got chucked out every July and Summer holidays and went home. It was also much easier to get all my post sent home, as I knew it would be there and parents could forward it to me- if I had got it sent to college, every July and Summer hols I wouldn't have seen the mail for months!

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
To my knowledge you are bound by the conditions of your drivers licence- not the conditions of the state you are driving in (for licence purposes).

Eg. If am a NSW Green P Plater (can't drive over 100km/h), driving in South Australia, I still can't drive over 100km/h even though P-Platers at my stage in South Australia don't have a speed limit.

I am not sure of the licence conditions of P-Platers in QLD- but if you kept your QLD licence you would be bound by those restrictions, whatever they are.
That's the case for provisional drivers. For L-platers though, you are usually bound by the restrictions of the state you're driving in as well. It's a matter of some precise wording in each state's version of the Road Rules.

As for actually changing your address- I'm not sure what the rules are. I have friends that moved to the ACT for university- some changed their addresses (basically to convert to their licence system which is shorter/less restrictions than NSW), and others didn't.

I still have my address as rural NSW even though I live in sydney to go to uni- that's because i didn't see any point putting '*** College, USYD', when I got chucked out every July and Summer holidays and went home. It was also much easier to get all my post sent home, as I knew it would be there and parents could forward it to me- if I had got it sent to college, every July and Summer hols I wouldn't have seen the mail for months!
I have my college address at ANU for my licence, and my home address back in regional NSW for my electoral enrolment. They really don't care so long as you do move back and forth between them every so often. (Also, my college office is nice enough to forward our mail over summer...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)