MP3 Players. So many to choose from! (1 Viewer)

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
K, got my first payment from work and i'm dying to spend it... on an mp3 player! But which one?!?!

The ones that have appealed to me so far are the:

iFP-799 and iFP-799T 1GB flash players. Price = approx AU$ 700 US$321
and
Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 30 and 60GB hdd Price = AU$ 400 ish(30gb) and 500 ish(60gb)
or an ipod.. hasnt really appealed to me but mebe... its an option.

Its not like i havent done my research on this, but i'd like to know what others think of the mp3 players out there... what ones people have/plan to buy... and so on.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
from reviews awhile ago... i remember reading that the creative nomads have poor battery life... due to the HD requiring alot of energy to run and also since it uses a HD it has moving parts so its prone to skippage

the flashplayers won't/shouldn't have this problem...

personally i would go for the ipod... (looks good, small(as opposed to the nomads), user friendly & nice storage)

but that flashplayer sounds good... i've just never heard of 1gb flash mem b4 :eek:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I'll sell you my Nomad2 :p
Im in love with my new ipod :D

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
i think with the hard drive players yu cant rn with it, not sure though. but if you are after size co for flash, but if you have heaps of mp3s, go for a harddrive player. there are so many different players out there and the price range is so broad that it is a hard dicision to make.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeah, Hard Drive players you can run with them...well, like with the ipod, its got 25mins shock protection ... so yeah :p

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
lol this thread isn't exactly constructive since all the replies are more questions than suggestions!

get iPod if you want to be the norm, i see grannies on the train using them...yeh iPod great for what it is, and that's a MP3 player, just that...
why i would never get one, no remote, sound quality to me is just average
why i would get one, built quality is amazing, price is reasonable, what you see is what you get nothing more (ie simple for people who are not technical)

now if i was on the market for a HD based mp3 player, i would be looking at iRiver H430
came out hmmm i think early this year, so it's quite new, iRiver has a good developed user support base where drivers, firmware are very user oriented, which means they do take in a lot of user input into making them and debugging = good support
why i would not get one: looks ugly, built quality not as good as iPod, plastic, i think more expensive than ipod (maybe only in australia, different story overseas)
why i would get one: USB host support!!!! <- you can plug digital camera into it and store all your photos, colour screen, VERY good sound quality, remote control, battery life longer than most HD players (ie iPod), not many people have them only because they don't have as great marketing strategy in Aust, people who have one will always smile when they see iPod users because they know something that others don't.....it's a better product :p

sorry i cannot comment on the new ZEN, but from what i have been reading a lot of people have been saying that it's great

PS: don't get flash based players, not worth the money for a simple 1gig when you can have 40gigs at a lower price
PPS: mini iPod is not better than it's bigger brother, it costs more, you get LESS and it's only looks, size wise it's pretty much the same!

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
take a look at the iriver hd range, or the iaudio m3 if your not into the gen 4 ipod.

Jeo

My friend got the new zen touch and he says it doesn't detect as a hard drive on computers without the creative software installed.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
I was reading the Icon last night and saw the JNC MP3 player being reviewed. They said it had superior battery life to the Ipod as well as an FM tuner and 40GB of space. Would anyone else recommend this?

Jeo

The thing is, I don't think you would like to put those in your pocket, its too clunky.. I can put my 20G ipod in my pocket with no probs. Even 40G ipod is quite big.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
saw a cheapo player in market ct ... 1gb .. 200bux =D

doe

HSC
N/A
i recently got a minidisc player cause most of my music is on cd and id like to be able to make high quality recordings (it has a mic input and can recrod at cd quality). the batteries are rechargable and last for ages anyway, and ill never have to pay apple to repace them. i can fit about 7 cd quality cd's on the new 1gig discs, and the disks are rewriteable. it can play mp3s (it converts them to sonys format first though) and you can also use it as a usb drive. the only downside is the stupid sony software which can be a bit lame, but overall im very happy with it.

doe

HSC
N/A
all the cool kids use md :)

elli ill record your banjo concert for you

im pretty keen to reverse the usb stuff and write my own driver for it to bypass all the drm crap, something for the holidays i think

monaro-man

Ramen Raider
HSC
:: ryan.cck :: said:
saw a cheapo player in market ct ... 1gb .. 200bux =D
har har har sif. lame-ass asian "technology stores" in the city are almost always overpriced. for about $200 in the city, the best you'll get is a 256mb flash based player. however, if your quote there is accurate, please provide details so that we may buy heaps and sell em on ebay for astronomical prices.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
RCMasterAA said:
I was reading the Icon last night and saw the JNC MP3 player being reviewed. They said it had superior battery life to the Ipod as well as an FM tuner and 40GB of space. Would anyone else recommend this?
i dont recommend the jnc 40gb one with no lcd on main body ... not good sound quality ...
i researched mp3 players earlier this yr before settling on iriver ifp-595 (512mb) for $419 its great, couldnt be happier ...

recommended mp3 players ...

flash memory (small)

all IRIVER range ... depending on ur taste and budget go to the website and have a look, really recommend iriver, they are great ...

hdd

creative muvo2 - this is absolutely the best mp3 player out there for the money ... comes in 1.5gb and 4gb versions, great sound quality, canes ipod in that department ... 9/10
creative zen - the newer range is alot better and imo is alot better than ipod ... 8/10
iriver hdd range - absolutely owns ipod, they have superior sound quality, more features and longer battery life ... whats not to like? 9.5/10

ipod

ipods (mini and normal) - looks good, is sturdy, great interface, good headphones ... shit battery life, also unreplaceable battery and US$99 asking price to fix ... no features (fm/vr etc ...) 6.5/10

Last edited:

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
the only problem with the iriver range is...

THEY'RE TOO EXPENSIVE!!!

which shits me. i want an iFP-799 or 799T *sulks*
why pay $799 for taht when i can get 59 more gbs for $535 :( the only thing the Zen Xtra doesnt have which i'd like is the FM tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)