• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

mrstripedshades

HSC
Not sure if any other first years think the same, but a unit that provides students with questions on content that wasn't covered - only promoting confusion, is a good example of a poorly run unit (BBA102). Lecture 13 Revision gives questions not covered, and unfair dismissals (a question a student got) isn't covered in the textbook nor the lectures (the concept is, but not the types of unfair dismissals).
Dont do it but from what I've heard its the easiest first year unit for commerce. Most say its relatively easy to bullshit and I should look forward to it next sem. All my 2nd yr friends cracked up laughing when we were talking about next sem units once and I said bba

But I feel this way for macro, but most likely the contents in the books. Imo the slides are seriously bad.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Dont do it but from what I've heard its the easiest first year unit for commerce. Most say its relatively easy to bullshit and I should look forward to it next sem. All my 2nd yr friends cracked up laughing when we were talking about next sem units once and I said bba

But I feel this way for macro, but most likely the contents in the books. Imo the slides are seriously bad.
I agree that BBA is probably really easy to bullshit, and you'll probably get better marks for it. I got relatively shit marks for my two assignments despite getting consistent fulls in HSC,and I tried to explain everything as I could. But the wanted answers seemed like it was 10th grade Commerce HR level. Not going to say that Uni assignments are marked the same way, but some stuff just seemed bizarre to be marked 'wrong'.

I've heard some very bad things about BBA102. Was it really that bad?
The lectures and content are boring. A lot of things are very subjective if it's not explicitly covered. There's not many assignments and mark distribution that gives you a good chance. It's a particularly rote subject which is not what I enjoy. A required text is not a good excuse for bad slides. Also, the staff who 'help' in the forums are particularly useless. I don't like the unit due to a combination of these things and some others. I might just be complaining too much as Zoinked is on track for a HD I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I never did bba102; did the equivalent at UWS.

Didn't enjoy it, reflects in me hating my management unit this semester :lol:

mrstripedshades

HSC
I agree that BBA is probably really easy to bullshit, and you'll probably get better marks for it. I got relatively shit marks for my two assignments despite getting consistent fulls in HSC,and I tried to explain everything as I could. But the wanted answers seemed like it was 10th grade Commerce HR level. Not going to say that Uni assignments are marked the same way, but some stuff just seemed bizarre to be marked 'wrong'.

The lectures and content are boring. A lot of things are very subjective if it's not explicitly covered. There's not many assignments and mark distribution that gives you a good chance. It's a particularly rote subject which is not what I enjoy. A required text is not a good excuse for bad slides. Also, the staff who 'help' in the forums are particularly useless. I don't like the unit due to a combination of these things and some others. I might just be complaining too much as Zoinked is on track for a HD I'm pretty sure.
I agree with you that marking isnt the same for every unit, in fact it probably varies with every unit.

For Macroeconomics I made up my interview, but made it with a credible person on a topic I knew somewhat about/was interest in (housing prices in Australia), got 93%. My groups task was 100% for it (had a group assignment) despite some massive errors in our report in terms of grammar and even information... Whilst in ACCG I got 76% for my Case Study, which is still a good mark, but there was way more effort put into that than those assignments combined together...

Personally I stopped attending lectures, and hell even watching them, for all my subjects by around week 4. I mainly read slides. The only lecturer I feel I actually get a decent amount of information out of is the main lecturer for Finance (The rest can be extrapolated from the slides or the slides give enough), but for me the subject is relatively simple so I'm not really troubled by it (its just substitutions..).

Meanwhile the main lecturer for Macroecon can be somewhat interesting but is completely off track at most times. I feel the slides just have a lot of info that wasnt actually relevant for the quizzes we had, which is what made it hard without a textbook for the last two.

Maybe the info was in the text books, but for literally none of my other subjects was opening the textbook even recommended (well it is but I dont think it should be, at best you are going to be flooded with too much information that wont actually help you get your best marks) except for HW questions, as opposed to this one...

So I see what you mean that theres a disconnect. Hoping for HD's in STAT150 and Finance, D for accounting and maybeee macroecon (easy assignment marking saved me.) personally

I think you did accounting, how'd you find the test? I mean it wasnt anything surprising but it was still my hardest test so far, but maybe thats more of a testament to how simple the others were

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I agree with you that marking isnt the same for every unit, in fact it probably varies with every unit.

For Macroeconomics I made up my interview, but made it with a credible person on a topic I knew somewhat about/was interest in (housing prices in Australia), got 93%. My groups task was 100% for it (had a group assignment) despite some massive errors in our report in terms of grammar and even information... Whilst in ACCG I got 76% for my Case Study, which is still a good mark, but there was way more effort put into that than those assignments combined together...

Personally I stopped attending lectures, and hell even watching them, for all my subjects by around week 4. I mainly read slides. The only lecturer I feel I actually get a decent amount of information out of is the main lecturer for Finance (The rest can be extrapolated from the slides or the slides give enough), but for me the subject is relatively simple so I'm not really troubled by it (its just substitutions..).

Meanwhile the main lecturer for Macroecon can be somewhat interesting but is completely off track at most times. I feel the slides just have a lot of info that wasnt actually relevant for the quizzes we had, which is what made it hard without a textbook for the last two.

Maybe the info was in the text books, but for literally none of my other subjects was opening the textbook even recommended (well it is but I dont think it should be, at best you are going to be flooded with too much information that wont actually help you get your best marks) except for HW questions, as opposed to this one...

So I see what you mean that theres a disconnect. Hoping for HD's in STAT150 and Finance, D for accounting and maybeee macroecon (easy assignment marking saved me.) personally

I think you did accounting, how'd you find the test? I mean it wasnt anything surprising but it was still my hardest test so far, but maybe thats more of a testament to how simple the others were
Accounting wasn't too bad. The concepts are relatively simple. I found Microecon the hardest since you needed to prepare for quite a bit of concepts. Every lecture had 70 page slides so it took quite a bit of time to study for.

On the contrary I didn't watch any of the lectures after the 3rd week for ACST101, maybe for other than the last two lectures since they were rather ambiguous. For me ACST101 was by far the easiest unit. If you have a decent math background and keep up with your readings of textbook & lecture slides, it's a WAM booster. Use your ability to identify questions and categorise what formula you need to use, especially if you have the formula in front of you.

Last edited:

mrstripedshades

HSC
Accounting wasn't too bad. The concepts are relatively simple. I found Microecon the hardest since you needed to prepare for quite a bit of concepts. Every lecture had 70 page slides so it took quite a bit of time to study for.

On the contrary I didn't watch any of the lectures after the 3rd week for ACST101, maybe for other than the last two lectures since they were rather ambiguous. For me ACST101 was by far the easiest unit. If you have a decent math background and keep up with your readings of textbook & lecture slides, it's a WAM booster. Use your ability to identify questions and categorise what formula you need to use, especially if you have the formula in front of you.
I found the stats test just a tad easier tbh but ACST final exam was also really easy. I mean I still didnt watch the ACST lectures, its just I found her my best lecturer.

I dont do Microecon so dunno about that, but ACCG was simple, like it was nothing unexpected at all, just wish I studied more for it tbh.

I dunno if you do marketing but i heard it had 4 essays, am not looking forward to that next sem

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I found the stats test just a tad easier tbh but ACST final exam was also really easy. I mean I still didnt watch the ACST lectures, its just I found her my best lecturer.

I dont do Microecon so dunno about that, but ACCG was simple, like it was nothing unexpected at all, just wish I studied more for it tbh.

I dunno if you do marketing but i heard it had 4 essays, am not looking forward to that next sem
Doing that next sem, not looking forward to another rote subject.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard some very bad things about BBA102. Was it really that bad?
The essays marks varied fairly significantly depending on who you had a tutor.

Some of it could be attributed to people not just using journal articles, but I think the highest in our class was a credit.

Final exam was fairly easy to bullshit though.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Doing that next sem, not looking forward to another rote subject.
It will probably be similar to this http://unitguides.mq.edu.au/unit_offerings/73016/unit_guide#assessment_task_136226

Changes from Previous Offering

Weekly on line quizzes have been replaced with one multiple choice quiz that is compulsory in week 7.

Tutorials will operate for 13 weeks, starting in week 1.

Tutorial Case Studies have been replaced with tutorial activities and discussion topics weekly.

The Group Marketing Plan project and presentation is removed and replaced with an individual Assignment Marketing Portfolio as an individual assessment.

~~~~~~~~~

That 30% group marketing plan was a horrible experience though. You are lucky to get out of it!

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
How long do you have to switch tutorials before it becomes an issue?

mm, prefer online weekly quizzes.
Think the activities will be easier to get marks in.

Don't think any class release the averages for the marks. Someone did ask for a re-mark but it required meeting with your tutor - something I didn't really want to do, then you can meet the convener. I had a really nice tutor before the current one I have now, perhaps I would've got better marks.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
How long do you have to switch tutorials before it becomes an issue?

mm, prefer online weekly quizzes.
Think the activities will be easier to get marks in.

Don't think any class release the averages for the marks. Someone did ask for a re-mark but it required meeting with your tutor - something I didn't really want to do, then you can meet the convener. I had a really nice tutor before the current one I have now, perhaps I would've got better marks.
Oh yeah weekly quizzes are definitely better but I think not having to do the group work makes up for it.

Usually you have to changed before 2 weeks of term starts. However, if the unit convenor is really nice, you have a friend in the other class and due to having recently received a job they may let you switch later point in time. This is the exception, not the norm so its unlikely to occur again.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Usually it's at the end of week two, or the first week of tutorials.

I managed to change tutors once because I had the same tutor as a previous semester in a unit I failed. He even suggested I ask for a change (I think he noticed I glared at him the entire class :lol:). Got put into a full tutorial because of that :lol:

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
As someone who changed their tutors in Week Five, it is a bit of a hassle trying to tell your original tutor that you changed classes, your new tutor about your participation mark / compulsory attendance.

However, it didn't change who was marking my essays. My original tutor marked mine. After week 2, I don't think you can change who your marker is.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
When do we get all our marks? Also, do we get a WAM at mq or just a GPA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)