MQ Chatter Thread (2 Viewers)

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Long time, no see! Turns out I ended up dropping some subjects, so I'll be around in 2020. At first I didn't mind, but then I realized what the changes were to the curriculum in 2020. No- we aren't getting trimesters. It's worse.

Look at the degree outlines for 2020, not 2019.
Arts: https://courses.mq.edu.au/2020/domestic/undergraduate/bachelor-of-arts
Commerce.

Also, it's no longer 3 cps. It's 10.

What's happening is that certain subjects are getting cut, they'll be compulsory units for EVERY student in the Arts faculty, no People or planet units, no crossover majors (ie that B.Commerce where your second major was International Relations? Not happening anymore!). There's a compulsory unit/s for Business and Science students as well.

Knowing Macquarie, they'll tell everyone these changes in Session 2. You know, after the census date and people have already paid for their courses. Urgh. After this current semester, I'll have 8 subjects to go. Could finish up at another university.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce students still had/have to do compulsory units i.e bba102, ECON111, MKTG101 so might not be much of a change in terms of actual changes. It is just the structure that seems a tad strange, and they've gone and changed the names of a lot of the units.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
MKTG101 is a lot like business studies so you'll probably be fine. ACCG308 business plan was depressing in terms of how bad some of the business plans you will be expected to critique given it is a third year subject.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
MKTG101 is a lot like business studies so you'll probably be fine. ACCG308 business plan was depressing in terms of how bad some of the business plans you will be expected to critique given it is a third year subject.
I'm still surprised third year subjects require you to do business plans to be honest, it's a very simple assignment that you've done across Year 12 HSC Business Studies, and the earlier uni years.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
"Just gave my last lecture in my 16.5 years of teaching. I am now blessed to be in a new role from Monday to create the Bacehlor of Commerce Capstone unit, i.e. the exit subject in the final year, combining all subjects in the degree, as well as 12 distinct majors, into a single subject. Every B Com student will do this new unit, just prior to graduation. Daunting but exciting! My next lecture (delivering this new subject) will be in March 2020! Nine months!"

Source: Prashan Karunaratne (ECON111)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Lowkey getting sick of going to uni tbh, still another year or so to hold out for my degree.

Can't wait for Vacationer's this year, still another half year away.

Really unlucky though, I was due to go to Exchange next semester and also got a scholarship (which scaled with my GPA), but that will all need to be redone since it would've overlapped with my program, and the scholarship will likely get a lower budget and my GPA will likely also be lower than what it is now :|.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I've known people who have left vacation programmes early / started later. Maybe try ringing them and asking if that would be possible?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
"Just gave my last lecture in my 16.5 years of teaching. I am now blessed to be in a new role from Monday to create the Bacehlor of Commerce Capstone unit, i.e. the exit subject in the final year, combining all subjects in the degree, as well as 12 distinct majors, into a single subject. Every B Com student will do this new unit, just prior to graduation. Daunting but exciting! My next lecture (delivering this new subject) will be in March 2020! Nine months!"

Source: Prashan Karunaratne (ECON111)
They have a pretty similar subject in the first semester of the B Business at UTS, it was promoted as the "flagship" subject of the course and it seemed some staff were pretty proud of the subject lol. It was almost universally disliked or considered a bludge by the students however. Personally, I preferred it to the equivalent subject in engineering but it was definitely dependent on if you got a good group.

I think having it at the end might make more sense and work out better, the business capstone subjects at UTS were just for individual majors but tried to tie together the whole major and I enjoyed the finance one. (heard mixed reviews for some other majors, the accounting one is apparently quite similar to the finance one)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
We used to have separate capstone(s) for each commerce major but it sounds like they are all being consolidated into one. Uni doesn't seem to be giving much information at this stage though.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Lowkey getting sick of going to uni tbh, still another year or so to hold out for my degree.

Can't wait for Vacationer's this year, still another half year away.

Really unlucky though, I was due to go to Exchange next semester and also got a scholarship (which scaled with my GPA), but that will all need to be redone since it would've overlapped with my program, and the scholarship will likely get a lower budget and my GPA will likely also be lower than what it is now :|.
Did you get a vacation program offer?

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I have asked about delaying my Vacationers program, but the timing is bad. Vacationers starts around Jan with an few weeks at the start of Dec, and that would be a day or 2 after semester end of the host uni, but even so I would have exams afterwards. I've already cancelled my exchange application anyway sadly. They only have one Vacationers each year.

Yeah I do have an offer for Big 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)