HSC
What was the big deal about 8?
It's so straightforward
i dont understand how C coud be a better answer than D

Leap

free falling
HSC
i dont understand how C coud be a better answer than D
I put C cause I didn't think there should be a computer in the middle there - I figured that usually it'd be a hub or something but I'm starting to feel confused...

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Originally posted by Adzi
you got 18 wrong i think.
fucking hell, i actually got C for 18, now i look back
my memory is shocking =\
i'll edit it

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kalli
excuse me huy.. can u plz tell me y u put 12-d?
I love seeing/hearing people with good manners (and politeness), especially on the Internet ;) :D

Advantageous = beneficial (hehe I had to write it down, just to make sure I didn't think "MOST adventurous" or something :D )

For which connection in the diagram would a broadband connection be MOST advantageous?

(A) Between the Internet server and the Internet
(B) Between the personal computer and the printer
(C) Between the laptop and the wireless network server
(D) Between each personal computer and the wireless network server.

I took "broadband connection" to be a high-speed Internet connection, literally.

My question is, (and I'm not avoiding your question), WHY did they use "Internet server" - Do they mean web server as defined by IPT textbooks, and the IPT syllabus itself?

Internet server = ISP's host machine?

Web server = Web server, I didn't think they were talking about Internet ISP's there, because "The Internet" (cloud) is external.

A could have been possible, and I believe it could be the answer (now that I think about it), but then again: ALL HOMES HAVE COPPER CABLING.

I assume this to be true, with telephone exchanges, fibre optic connecting transmission lines and ADSL technology being rolled out to many homes.

Anyway, they haven't really defined "broadband connection" to mean: A connection to the Internet, or a high-speed, wired transmission link.

I don't really know why I put D, but if you look at the key, the connection between the 'Internet server' and the 'Wireless network server' uses "cable" -- why not put Coaxial, or even Fibre Optic? How do we know it's not UTP or STP? (twisted pair)

(Note: This question is on the same level as Q16 and Q19 :p )

But the question capitalised MOST for a reason.

If you have a broadband connection between EVERY computer and the wireless network server - you would be MAXIMISING (or rather, being advantageous) - are you not?

That was pretty much why I chose D, but I think A is more correct from "the examiners" perspective.

:)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Bandit
Well said Huy, spose u do 4U English too? :p
Err...

I do! :blush:
(now who's sticking their tongue out? ;) :))

JRasnier

ummm huy, one thing u didnt think of is when they say between each personal computer and the wireless network server, they actually mean one side of the cable is in the personal computer and the other end at the wireless network server....
i still reckon its /8 * 1024, i really beleive it and noone can change my mind otherwise...for question 14, i had a full long post about all the questions that ppl are wandering whats the answer, but i tried to post it when bos was down, so all my typing went to waste....

morrisoner

i think that for question 8 that they will accept both answer cuz different texts say /8 x 1024 (heineman) and excel says /1024

JRasnier

thats because / 8 * 1024 is in bits, if u convert it, into bytes, then it becomes 1024 anywayz...so yeaha....

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JRasnier
ummm huy, one thing u didnt think of is when they say between each personal computer and the wireless network server, they actually mean one side of the cable is in the personal computer and the other end at the wireless network server....
i still reckon its /8 * 1024, i really beleive it and noone can change my mind otherwise...for question 14, i had a full long post about all the questions that ppl are wandering whats the answer, but i tried to post it when bos was down, so all my typing went to waste....
Thanks, I went off the assumption that the cable was to be connected to ALL personal computers, replacing every Wireless connection with Broadband/Cable (the question is ambiguous and doesn't clearly define every term, uses the 'wrong' terms e.g. Web Server and Internet Server, but we've had this debate before in the official IPT forum, about real-world vs IPT theory ;))

I'm not exactly sure what they mean, but that's how I understood it.

JRasnier, I completely understand how you feel about "post disappearing" and not being 'actually' posted because of the database errors. It has happened *SO MANY* times I don't bother to reply "in full" and so I'm forced to recap everything I've typed in a few lines.
Originally posted by morrisoner
i think that for question 8 that they will accept both answer cuz different texts say /8 x 1024 (heineman) and excel says /1024
I had B, but I am now thinking D.

Size field = length in characters

1 character = 8 bits in size, 1 byte. (8 bits per byte).

20 characters in size/length = 20 bytes

100 records, with "20+10+10+6" (or whatever) results in a size in bytes.

Dividing by 1024 will give your answer in kilobytes which was what had been required/asked of you.

There is no need for 8, as you would be assuming the characters are stored in bits, instead of bytes (and by definition, a character of 1 length occupies 1 byte of memory, or 8 bits).

I got it wrong, but they might accept /8*1024 if they don't read my post :p :p :D
thats because / 8 * 1024 is in bits, if u convert it, into bytes, then it becomes 1024 anywayz...so yeaha....
You are going off the assumption that the size is in bits, but you know that the size refers to the characters, and character lengths are in bytes.

(henceforth sizes are in bytes).
/1024 is the answer, because you already have bytes, so there is no need to multiply it by a further 8 bits (occupying 1 byte), to 'compensate' per se.

The answer is D... /1024,

The sizes refer to character lengths that can occupy the given field, the characters are then stored in the memory as bytes, given that 1 byte is equivalent to 8 bits, and the sizes are all given in characters, characters = bytes, and bytes = /1024 for KILObytes, there is no need for the 8 ;) :)

Last edited:

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by honky tonk
Actually, doesn't it make sense not to divide by 8? The size of the fields is in bytes, not bits... right?
the answer needed to be in kilobytes

8 bits in a byte, 1024 bytes in a kilobyte...

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
nah it is just 1024
i realised after i came out cuz that was the only multiple choice i couldn't get so i just took a stab and got 1024 * 8
u're right about the 1 character = 1 byte part tho (8 bit binary)
it was from the prelim course

JRasnier

its 640*480*24*25/8 23 040 000 bytes per second (22 500 kb) in Carole Wilson text book too

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tonberry_kun
nah it is just 1024
i realised after i came out cuz that was the only multiple choice i couldn't get so i just took a stab and got 1024 * 8
u're right about the 1 character = 1 byte part tho (8 bit binary)
it was from the prelim course
Yeah, I took a stab at "8*1024" because I saw "kilobytes" and assumed everything was in bits! D'oh! :p
its 640*480*24*25/8 23 040 000 bytes per second (22 500 kb) in Carole Wilson text book too
I don't know what you're saying/referring to? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)