Multiple choice marking??? (1 Viewer)

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
So I know MC are computer marked. Just a question though.

Say you coloured an answer, and then later crossed it out to put another answer. How does the computer tell which one your answer is? I mean I don't think it would detect the cross, would it? If anything it would read it as two coloured in solutions.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
So I know MC are computer marked. Just a question though.

Say you coloured an answer, and then later crossed it out to put another answer. How does the computer tell which one your answer is? I mean I don't think it would detect the cross, would it?
I'd say, if a mc sheet has a circle with a cross through it, the computer would reject it and it would have to be human calculated.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
I'd say, if a mc sheet has a circle with a cross through it, the computer would reject it and it would have to be human calculated.
Makes sense. I thought maybe that's the case too. Can anyone else confirm this?

I mean that's what the instructions say, put a cross through it. So somehow it should be marked correctly?

qaz0981

HSC
this is a worry, i change my answers quite a bit, usually crossing one out, picking another, crossing it out, then drawing an arrow to the first one saying correct haha.. its what our school tells us to do in our exams... do multiple choice sheets have to be written in pen?

qaz0981

HSC
ah, unfortunate. will have to be sure before i put it down then

-_-

HSC
They tell you to never go back and change MC questions because you usually change it from right to wrong. So don't go back and change.

jet

Banned
HSC
Actually, studies have shown that of all MC answer changes, more answers are changed from wrong to right.

shady145

Banned
HSC
Actually, studies have shown that of all MC answer changes, more answers are changed from wrong to right.
yep in chem yesteday i guessed 2 multi choice because i had taken too long, i came back at the end and worked them out, then i corrected myself

Rage01

HSC
this is a worry, i change my answers quite a bit, usually crossing one out, picking another, crossing it out, then drawing an arrow to the first one saying correct haha.. its what our school tells us to do in our exams... do multiple choice sheets have to be written in pen?
That's fine, it's what the instructions from the board of studies says to do

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, is it definitely known that they are computer marked? I always thought they were human marked.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, is it definitely known that they are computer marked? I always thought they were human marked.
Multiple Choice are computer marked. That is one reason why the BOS likes them - cheap to mark as they have to pay a clerical staff member their salary during normal working hours to scan them rather than a marker at over $60 an hour from 4.00 p.m.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Multiple Choice are computer marked. That is one reason why the BOS likes them - cheap to mark as they have to pay a clerical staff member their salary during normal working hours to scan them rather than a marker at over $60 an hour from 4.00 p.m.
Relating to the Original Post, how does computers tell if you crossed the wrong answer out and put the correct answer in?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Relating to the Original Post, how does computers tell if you crossed the wrong answer out and put the correct answer in?
It recognizes that there is a problem with the sheet and doesn't register a mark so the clerical staff are able to mark the offending answer and tell the computer what that answer should be so it can mark the rest of them. If the computer is only able to read one correct answer it will which is why it is essential that you make it clear that you have changed your mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)