Multiple Choice Problem (1 Viewer)

BRegs

HSC
It was question 20 from last year's HSC paper. I chose (A), can someone tell me why I'm wrong?

The answer was (B) - which confuses me? Why would CSIRO advise on an issue like this? Are they not a government research body?

20 Which organisation would advise Australian oyster producers when oyster production is
severely affected by a parasite?
(A) AQIS
(B) CSIRO
(C) FSANZ
(D) WHO

HSC
AQIS is mainly for inspection and etc.
FSANZ sets food standards.
WHO is "world" not national.

Therefore CSIRO makes the most sense and fits it because it stands for Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation. Through their research, they would be the ones to advise the government. It was a tricky question but you had to think about the roles of AQIS, FSANZ and WHO carefully.

BRegs

HSC
Hmmm ... fair enough! Thanks mate ... I extrapolated the role of AQIS to apply to the situation, obviously that was wrong. Need to brush up on these organisations anyway, so it's no wonder I got it wrong.

myawesome

HSC
AQIS is mainly for inspection and etc.
FSANZ sets food standards.
WHO is "world" not national.

Therefore CSIRO makes the most sense and fits it because it stands for Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation. Through their research, they would be the ones to advise the government. It was a tricky question but you had to think about the roles of AQIS, FSANZ and WHO carefully.
Does FSANZ only inform *consumers* about food issues? Also FSANZ conducts food recalls.. so wouldn't that be a form of advising the oyster producers that their oysters are contaminated?

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
Does FSANZ only inform *consumers* about food issues? Also FSANZ conducts food recalls.. so wouldn't that be a form of advising the oyster producers that their oysters are contaminated?
FSANZ recalls food products after they have been alerted that a particular batch/product/line/etc has potentially been compromised by the manufacturer/supplier.

I guess the AQIS looks predominantly at imported products (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service), rather than the actual 'resources' of Australia if you will.

Having said that, I would have jumped to the AQIS straight away had I been sitting that exam :(

BRegs

HSC
Yes, now that it has been explained .... I understand where they're coming form. It does make sense

myawesome

HSC
FSANZ recalls food products after they have been alerted that a particular batch/product/line/etc has potentially been compromised by the manufacturer/supplier.

I guess the AQIS looks predominantly at imported products (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service), rather than the actual 'resources' of Australia if you will.

Having said that, I would have jumped to the AQIS straight away had I been sitting that exam :(
Thanks. I get your explanation for FSANZ. But I don't get why you would choose AQIS? They just inspect borders and other places where exports, imports are and prevent any risky foods from entering the "environment" I guess. like border security
Australian oyster production wouldn't be an import food item
CSIRO is the least nonsensical. but then I thought they just did research and development

Last edited:

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
But I don't get why you would choose AQIS?
I would have thought "hey, thats a quarantine risk" and then chosen the AQIS, simply because of its 'quarantine' status, despite the fact that they look predominantly at imports. Regardless, I think it was a tricky question put in there just to try to loop people around... because that's what BOS just like to do. The CSSA PDHPE trial (or it was the half yearly, I've pushed it from my mind) had a stupid question in it too for that reason, that basically went against all first impressions. The irony of the situation is that often the people who are just guessing because they don't know anything about any of them are probably more likely to get it right - and many inquisitive students who know their content would have probably jumped to the AQIS for the reason in which I have stated.

Having said that the AQIS was wrong; and, to future HSCers - read your multiple choice questions 100000x over before making any hasty decisions! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)