13) A
14) A
15) A
My answers were

1) D
2) B
3) B
4) A
5) D (Roman law was based on edics and decrees - are they codification?)
6) D
7) A
8) C
9) C
10) B
11) C
12) D (I thought that was a trick question- dont they mean the same thing?)
13) A
14) A
15) C (Though I'm probably wrong. It was a close choice b/w A & C)

I hope the answers you gave were right - I could really use a 12/15 ;)

HSC
Yeah, i was tossing up between B & C on 5...i knew the inquisitorial system was a feature, but thats about as far as my knowledge went ;)

Im pretty certain 12 was B, i looked over natural law this morning...

Same with 15, i couldnt pick A & C...and D now i look back on it!

jcfiction

HSC
N/A
village: i got the exact same answers you got. the only questionable one for me is question 9, because arguably D) would be someone who has already passed the merits and jurisdiction test which is a better answer than C)

but other than that yeah i got the same as you i dont see why they'd be wrong

Notes: 5 is D. codification is a feature, check your TB
12 is NOT B, B is natural justice not natural law, check your TB
15 is C, because thats a real feature of natural justice

Scorch

HSC
My answers:

1. D
2. B
3. B
4. A
5. D - well, the Inquisitorial system is a given, and natural justice is in our system and thus isn't a distinct feature of the civil law system, so it's D. :p
6. D
7. D - this was difficult. A may have been it, but it talks about human rights, they are applicable to everyone no matter what, so I thought that since CROC only applies to children, D was the answer.
8. C
9. D - Juveniles are guaranteed legal aid, so they are more likely to get it.
10. B
11. C
12. B
13. A - well the rule of law removes theoretical inequality, but Legal Aid practically works to remove institutionalised inequality.
14. A
15. A - but I'm told C may have been a better answer.

So I'm hoping for 13 or 14/15

navelj

HSC
Hey my answers were similar to yours - however i have some queries:

9) I put c however our teachers pointed out that all young people are entitled to legal aid in criminal circumstances - but i would say that it can't be D because it does not define the age of "young people" are they over or under 18, and a legal aid commission lawyer spoke to us this year, and she said that the means test is used on young people as well - because i can think of heaps of young rich kids who break the law and don't need legal aid.

11) I originally put C the constitution, but changed it because i remembered that common law is more effective because it doesn't need a referendum to be changed i put B, however, our teachers were in disagreement as well - they said A (statute) or B or C - most people seem to have put C.

12) I think alot of people got caught out on this one - NATURAL LAW not NATURAL JUSTICE - procedural fairness refers to natural justice, and i thought the only remotely possible answer could have been C - because natural law is law from a higher power but from a long period of customary obedience - but i'm probably wrong
because D must be right, because the state can't exceed divine power - i thought this was the worst question!!!

15) could have been A because the judge must be accountable and not use arbitrary power, but it could have been C because in order for natural justice to be upheld the individual must know why they are being found guilty/innocent - probably A, but i put C because i'm stupid and thought that 3 As in a row was too coincidental - but thats just me being stupid.

Anyways these questions will certainly provoke debate in the marking centre, and i believe for once the HSC was more ambiguous than the Catholic Trial. I believe i will do fine in the other sections, they were sooo easy, but multiple choice will bring me down. Well, all in good time.

anyways...HORRAY THE HSC IS OVER!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT - IS IT A DREAM - NO ITS NOT! I'M FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

navelj

HSC
Scorch said:
My answers:
7. D - this was difficult. A may have been it, but it talks about human rights, they are applicable to everyone no matter what, so I thought that since CROC only applies to children, D was the answer.
Sorry but you must have read the question wrongly - the Magna Carta is not A TREATY which enshrines human rights - it was a constitutional document - a treaty is signed by more than just groups in a country (i.e. king and nobles) it is between two or more countries!

jcfiction

HSC
N/A
for 15 , C is the best answer

if you answered A thats like calling a bus a vehicle when you could call it a bus. natural justice (C) is part of the rule of law (A) but the question illustrates natural justice, so C is the best answer

Platinum

HSC
5 imo D - civil system originates from Roman Law and there was codification of law on Roman times etc. So that's my argument

9 imo D - basically young people are entitled to legal aid, while a means test is only a means test and does not mean jurisdiction test, merit test etc

11 imo A - basically on the fact that a statute overrides High Court judle decisions. Also for constitution, not amendment....referendum

That's basically what I think the answers are. Legal Studies multiple choice are very ambiguous.....NO MORE HSC!!! WOOT!!!

forevaunited

HSC
damn ambiguous legal studies multiple choice.... for 5 i put B because it seemed the most logical. Other say D? i dunno...id probably still put B if i had the chance again.

For 9 i put D. People who pass a means test are still required to pass a merit and jurisdiction test, therefore I didn't put that. By saying 'young people' - yeah it doesn't say under 18 but it certainly implies it. It would be cruel of BOS to place such an amgiguos trick question into the exam so thats why i believe its D. Even if they are not 18, they are still considered 'young' which would definately benefit in the means and merit test.

12 is D i believe....

15 im fairly sure it would be rule of law. it was a question in one of the past papers so i just put A

lgaica

HSC
5 is def. d
7 is a because magna carta as well as us bill of rights are not treaties
9 i think is D cause all young criminal offenders automatically entitled to legal aid
is 10 b? im not sure about this one
11 i put C not too sure about this one
12 confused me, its definately not B (which i stupidly put) must be D
13 i put B but the answer is A
14 is def A
15 is def. C

therefore i belive i got 12/15 i hope

hsc is over, no more posting on bored of studies

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Isn't the answer for 12 D?

Last edited:

jcfiction

HSC
N/A
hehh lgaica i dint know you used BOS

yehh IMO the only one that nobody can really tell is 9, the implicit connotations of D are pretty conflicting with the explicit connotations of C

james hit D i think its D (james is never wrong!)

shitstuff

HSC
N/A
LOL I nearly threw away my multiple choice... I've circled what I chose so here it is...

1. D
  2. B
  3. B
  4. A
  5. D- back deep in my mind I remember reading something about the inquisitorial system and the codification, may be it was a dream but I relied on that when I asnwered it lol
  6. D
  7. A
  8. C
  9. D- well it is obviously D because the means test needs to be combined with the merit and judicial test. You can't just test on the means there is no test such as means only. So young people is the most correct, and I understand from reading the textbook that when they say young they mean under 18
  10. B
  11. A- well the "best protected" just gives it away of course legislation, what else??? It can be enforced by the enforcement agencies if you don't follow it you are penalised. I don't think the right to protest be enshrined in the Constitution cmon! It will be a total anarchy.
  12. B
  13. A
  14. A
  15. C- Natural justice is procedural fairness, and procedural fairness is all about telling the accused for what he is being convicted and all that crap. I would think that the Rule of Law is all about equality and no arbitrary power and stuff and nothing about actually telling the person about the reason, caz its not equality.
Alright that's how I think to the questions that I find most people are arguing upon.

Be free to give me your opinions, on what you think I did incorrectly.

christobel

HSC
Here are my answers, I'm pretty sure I got 15/15

1) D
2) B
3) B
4) A
5) D (It has to be D, because the question asks for DISTINCTIVE features of a civil law system, which means what features of this system distinguish it from other systems, which is the codification of laws, because B says "natural justice", and this is with the common law system too)
6) D
7) A (Obviously because B and D aren't Treaties, and C doesn't enshrine human rights)
8) C
9) D (Think about it, A and C are obviously wrong, and with C, they have only said that a means test has been passed, not a merit or jurisdiction test, so thats eliminated and that leaves D)
10) D (This is the only one which I think might be wrong, I was tossing up between B and D because the Media is obviously a non-legal measure, but so is the Ombudsman (Isn't it?). So then I thought, which one seems more correct? I think it might be B)
11) C (Again, this could have been A or C. D is incorrect and B is silly. So the question asks "be best PROTECTED", so I thought to myself, if it was a statute law, then it can be removed or misinterpreted by other statutes, if it was in the Constitution (such as the Freedom of Religion is), then it is firmly implanted and protected. If you can't interpret me properly, think about The Anti Discrimination Human rights, which are protected by Statute Law, and think about how easily that could be removed. Now think about the Right to Vote, which is in the constitution, and think about how protected that is. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my rationale)
12) D (Has to be D, A has nothing to do with it, B is Natural Justice, C is a retarded answer, and D actually suits the question because it states that the "state does not have unlimited power" which means that it is answerable to a higher power- i.e. God, which is Natural Law)
13) A
14) A
15) C (It's not A because as someone used that analogy before of the Bus, Natural Justice is a part of the Rule of Law, and the requirement of a Judge to provide a reason for their decision adheres to the concept of Procedural Fairness. I'll admit I tossed up between A and C, but C seems more correct)

Short Answers were easy, Raped the essays, take from that what you will :)

pablito

HSC
overall test = piss easy.

the only Q which pissed me off was 11, where A B or C could have been right.
i put A statutes, but fark knows which one is right.

now for art.
ciao

Last edited:

punkbabe89

HSC
Well, I thought these were very easy and straightforward, there were only two i really even thought about.

1. A
2. B
3. B
4. A
5. D
6. D
7. A
8. C
9. C
10. B
11. I originally thought A, then considered B. I ended up going with B, something in my mind was saying "APEC, protests, court ruling".
12. My first thought was "D, obviously", then went back and doubted that i remembered natural law correctly and considered B, which is of course central to natural justice rather than natural law. After i reassured myself i went with D.
13. A
14. A
15. C

Hopefully the only place i could loose marks is 11, so 14 possibly 15/15, or have i stupidly missed something somewhere along the line?

karimhamka

HSC
No you are all wrong concerning the Legal Aid multiple choice question due to the question asking who is the most likely to recieve Legal aid when all of you assumed who is actually going to recieve legal aid.

By passing the means test you are becoming more LIKELY to recieve Legal aid. Sorry guys, read the key terms.

punkbabe89

HSC
christobel said:
10) D (This is the only one which I think might be wrong, I was tossing up between B and D because the Media is obviously a non-legal measure, but so is the Ombudsman (Isn't it?). So then I thought, which one seems more correct? I think it might be B)
I went with media. My thinking was, and looking back its may incorrect, that an Ombudsman is just another governmental official (or so i think... they have offices just like any other governmental department), as in part of the executive arm, and to me that makes it a legal measure.
That said, i'm not entirely sure if they have the power to make laws, rather only investigate claims and publish reports.
:S

christobel

HSC
punkbabe89 said:
That said, i'm not entirely sure if they have the power to make laws, rather only investigate claims and publish reports.
:S
Well see they CAN'T make laws, their power is restricted to investigating claims and publishing reports, but my concern is whether or not they can be considered as "legal measures", I'm not sure.

By passing the means test you are becoming more LIKELY to recieve Legal aid. Sorry guys, read the key terms.
Actually, no, you are wrong, because that possible answer says "People", which could mean ANYONE at all, so even by passing a Means Test, indeed they are part of the way there, but they still must pass other tests in order to gain legal aid, and seeing as it says "people", we can't be assured if they will or won't be granted legal aid.

However, as you may or may not know, one of the prime functions of the Legal Aid Commission is to in fact assist Young Persons facing criminal charges, and even if it says that the young offenders haven't passed any of the tests, we can be almost certain that they will be granted Legal Aid.

That's just my spin on it, I might be wrong, who knows, those multis were so fucking unclear it made me want to cry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)