multiple choice (1 Viewer)

kalli

HSC
hello... what did u all get for your multiple choice all u thousands of e+e students lol....

:D

kaspazy

everything is the same but :
5 is definitely C, B is correct locally but not always globally and is on the larger scale of things, a smaller impact than the massive amounts of CO2 that increase temperature

9 is A...the development of larger tissues and parts composed of cells with a nucleus did occur but it had nothing to do with the move to terrestrial environments, this happened after they had already moved to land. the development of a reproductive system that didnt rely on water meant that they didnt have to exist on water margins so that they could reproduce, it meant they could move awa from water, ie, to terrestrial enviros (and B was already occuring anyway, C is just wrong)

11 is def not A. "silica rich" soils = sandy soils. basaltic soils are NOT sandy. sandy soils are our crap soils. the only other viable answer is C...B and D are right but the question is basically "why are they fertile?".

our teacher hung around, head marker of earth, confirmed the answers
i was very happy :)
hope you all did good, lets give earth a good name lol!

kalli

HSC
my answers were:

1 - c
2 - d
3 - d
4 - b
5 - b
6 - c
7 - a
8 - d
9 - a
10 - b
11 - c
12 - d
13 - a
14 - b
15 - a

my e + e teacher thought they were all correct...

kase84

HSC
I'm afraid your wrong about Mt. Pinatubo kaspazy, and so is your "head marker" teacher.

Mt Pinatubo spewed pyroclastic material 40km into the air and released large quantities of sulphur dioxide, which as you all know, is an aerosol. The pyroclastic material ended up in the stratosphere and DID have global effects. It in fact dropped average temperature by 0.5 degrees the following year and made for fantastic sunsets, which could be appreciated across the globe.

A smaller scale volcano might not have had such a global cooling effect, but as the text box next to the picture on the exam said, pyroclastic material reached up to 40KM and this is enough to penetrate the stratosphere. As usual the tricky buggers at board of studies win again.

Oh and kaspazy, don't go getting all superior until you check your facts, because (until they did their research), the clever little munchkins who answered this correctly would have been devastated to find that they got such a seemingly straightfoward answer wrong and get depressed (i know i did when i thought i was wrong) and right now, no one needs the stress:D

kase84

HSC
kalli,
your answer for question 3, (D) is wrong. transform faults are associated with conservative plate boundaries, not convergent plate boundaries. Rhyolite is a rock which is associated with continental plates, but because of the subduction of basaltic oceanic plate, these get mixed to produce andestic rock. So reverse faults and andesite is the correct answer. Reverse faults are produced by compressional forces, such as in convergent plate boundaries and normal faults are produced by tensional forces, such as in divergent plate boundaries. Hopefully you just mistyped D as your answer because if your teacher said this was right, then he obviously doesn't know the fundamentals of plate tectonics and shouldn't be teaching Earth and Environmental science.:)

kase84

HSC
for multiple choice i got
1)a (wrong)
2)d
3)c
4)b
5)b
6)c
7)a
8)d
9)a
10)b
11)c
12)d
13)a
14)b
15)a
i was pretty happy with the multiple choice, nice and easy. I'm still beating myself up about the first question, IT WAS SO OBVIOUS. but yet I still put hot spot (Doh!). Whats the name of the australian scientist who studies ozone depletion. I nearly jumped out of my seat when i saw this because i studied an organisation (The CSIRO) but not an individual. What did everyone do for their options. I did non-organic geology. It was pretty easy, but i'm disappointed they didn't ask more about the syllabus content, cause i studied that heaps. Oh well, it's all over now anyway:( :mad1:

kalli

HSC
kase84... i did answer 3(c) i just read my writing wrong :) i also studied the csiro but no scientist... i just made up a name then bs :p

Joe C.

kase84,
Nice work on Q5, you are totally right, I think there was a global cooling of 0.6 degrees for upwards of 2 years. In fact, in most eruptions cooling dominates, it is only in the long term that the buildup of CO2 affects the climate by global warming.

I think the guy you are thinking of is jonathon banks. He worked with CSIRO to discover ozone depleting substances, and found an alternative for methyl bromide.

I did Introduced species for my option, it was ok, pretty general really.

Sounds like you guys know your stuff, looks like there is more competition out there then i thought, not just bludgers. :D

Almost There

my goal in life is to be a trophy north shore mum.
well for q 9 i wasnt sure-i think we had a similar q in the trials and so i got confused between the trial on and this one-the trail one answer was about how development of tissue to move substances (vascular tissue) was most signifigant...bugger

yep q 11 was a blind guess-but i didnt think it could be b becuase australia is relatiivly flat, and for c that seemed just a bit too general and d well we dont have any steeply sloping volcanes...do we??

yeah we did mt pinatubo as our "study of a volcanoes effect on global temperature" and it did cause a global temperature drop.

with the bloody scientist-i couldnt remeber if it was jonothan briggs or jonothon banks and i couldnt remember waht the dude did (except he chaired some comitee) so i just went with good old CSIRO on cape grim tasmania cuz thats what our teacher and our text book told us for australian scientists. note the S on scientistS work. and note the lack of s in the question...damn u BOS

Almost There

my goal in life is to be a trophy north shore mum.
oh poor kase8-how could u put hot spot? hehe when our class learned techtonics we had to memorise one place for each type of boundary-

convergant- o/o is japan
o/c is peru
c/c is himilayas
divergant-icealand
sliding past each other-san andres fault in california

so when we saw japan the whole class was just yay!!
and i rekon though that if u didnt happen to know it there would be almost no way u could tell from that photo!! its just a map...it would have to be the biggest guess-japan could be a bit of thge mainland broken off for all u know!!!

hehe-thanks to whoeve in the bos inlcuding drawing!! hehe and it was a good 6 marks!! :D

kase84

HSC
question 1

I know, poor me,
How stupid of me to answer a hotspot, but it was the first question and i was nervous. So thinking that is was an island chain and not an island arc, i stupidly answered A). I have been kicking myself ever since! Anyone else make any stupid mistakes they have been kicking themselves over which they would like to share?
I agree with you that on the syllabus it said scientists and not scientist (singular), so our class just studied the CSIRO and their work on chemicals which contribute to ozone depletion, so thats what i wrote, hopefully i get at least one mark.
:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)